Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

Gugny

Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

• It makes or breaks the pizza. A decent pizza can't have average outer crust.
    • The main crust is the most important, but the outer crust is still significantly important.
    • It's all about the main crust. Outer crust isn't even necessary.
    • I hate the outer crust. Usually toss it, or give it to the dog.

I think it all depends on the brand or who makes it. Some crusts on certain pizzas aren't very good to me. There is an Italian restaurant near that has the best crust I've ever had. Also kinda like Papa Johns crust.

Then there are some that I just eat the pizza to the crust and throw the crust to the dog or in the trash. So to me, it depends on the restaurant, brand, and who is making it to determine how good the crust is on certain pizzas.

I have to agree with @Gugny on this topic. The outer crust HAS to be browned, light, crunchy but soft with a slightly sweet taste.

That's why I'm a big fan of stromboli, calzones, empanadas and Hot Pockets....all of which are comprised of an outer crust.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

I have to agree with @Gugny on this topic. The outer crust HAS to be browned, light, crunchy but soft with a slightly sweet taste.

That's why I'm a big fan of stromboli, calzones, empanadas and Hot Pockets....all of which are comprised of an outer crust.

I think you are beginning to burn your bridges here.....?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I think it all depends on the brand or who makes it. Some crusts on certain pizzas aren't very good to me. There is an Italian restaurant near that has the best crust I've ever had. Also kinda like Papa Johns crust.

Then there are some that I just eat the pizza to the crust and throw the crust to the dog or in the trash. So to me, it depends on the restaurant, brand, and who is making it to determine how good the crust is on certain pizzas.

Which pizza do you prefer? The one with the better crust? I believe thats the crux of the argument. 

I should probably clarify something here because we have some very unscrupulous topic starters that change the argument in their favor. The original statement was that the outer crust, specifically the outer crust, was the best part of the pizza. THE BEST PART. 

Now it was astutely pointed out that you probably can’t have a bad outer crust without having a bad bottom. But that was not the issue. The question at hand in the shoutbox was if the outer crust was the best part of the pizza. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

I should probably clarify something here because we have some very unscrupulous topic starters that change the argument in their favor. The original statement was that the outer crust, specifically the outer crust, was the best part of the pizza. THE BEST PART. 

Now it was astutely pointed out that you probably can’t have a bad outer crust without having a bad bottom. But that was not the issue. The question at hand in the shoutbox was if the outer crust was the best part of the pizza. 

This is a great point, I dont think its possible to have a bad outer crust and a good bottom, any one ever had this?

If not, I think we can simplify the question to does a good crust make or break a pizza

Edited by Bray Wyatt

9 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

This is a great point, I dont think its possible to have a bad outer crust and a good bottom, any one ever had this?

If not, I think we can simplify the question to does a good crust make or break a pizza

No. That wasn’t the origin of the debate. The origin was that the OP stated that the outer crust was the best part of the pizza. Anything else is a bastardization of the dispute. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

Yep!

That's good old @Gugny  A swell guy and dear friend, but hell on poor Jerry!

giphy.gif

Why I am boycotting that rigged sham of a poll. LoL

1 minute ago, SDS said:

No. That wasn’t the origin of the debate. The origin was that the OP stated that the outer crust was the best part of the pizza. Anything else is a bastardization of the dispute. 

Fair enough

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

I bear witness.  @Gugny has understated his case in the title, to his great shame, and I demand answer!

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

I can confirm that this was in fact the chain of events.

2 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I am witness of said event and said name calling. :lol:

? The swarm is swarming. I was in ShoutBox... Here here!

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Not being one to call out the idiocy of certain @Gugny ‘s I did not name names. I see that the cat is out of the bag though. Now everyone knows what a gugny @Gugny is.

He will "reinvent" himself.  Did I not say in ShoutBox that he was going to prove a Phoenix... Then he comes here makes this absurd poll and almost fools people!

I too was witness to the shoutbox brouhaha. This is a total ruse to sway the opinion of the uninformed voters, much like the last presidential election.

BTW, the pizza I make has no outer crust. All the goodies go out to the very edge

Edited by fl az fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It seems the louder the anti-outer-crusters argue and beat their chests, they are recognizing how they are in the minority in this argument.

Y'all (@ExiledinIllinois, @fl az fan, @SDS, @Mike in Horseheads, @Cripple Creek) need to look at the poll results.

Over 75% of the voters believe the outer crust is the most important or significantly important to a good pizza.

It's ok to admit you're wrong. Just get it over with.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.