Is There Any Position That The Bills Got Worse In The Offseason?

Irv

Not many positions TBH.  The only one they clearly got worse at was TE.    Probably DT.  (Nothing against Oliver, but KW will not be easy to replace)  Maybe RB with Shady getting a year older.

The team looks better or the same everywhere else.  The question will be was it money well spent.  Because the one spot the Bills ARE worse in now is salary cap.  (Not that they are in a bad spot they just don't have 100mil to spend anymore)    My way too early answer to that question is in most cases it looks like the money was spent well.  But we'll know in a year or so.  

It's clear they've improved at individual positions, although to which degree remains to be seen.  Yet, to go from 6-10 to a 10-6 or 11-5 is a big leap in the NFL requires an entire team playing well.   

The question is, how much have they improved and are the offensive improvements going to facilitate Josh Allen taking a big step toward becoming a top NFL QB.  

3 hours ago, jletha said:

Oliver is a stud but hes still a rookie, no chance he can 1:1 replace Kyle.

I actually don't agree. He won't replace Kyle in the locker room but on the field Kyle wasn't himself the past couple seasons. Oliver could conceivably come in and improve on what we had last year. No disrespect to Kyle intended.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chill said:

TE is worse with Clay gone. You could argue D Line with Williams retiring. 

Other than that,  we have improved. Beane sacrificed last year for results this year and in the future. Of course he knows what’s he’s doing. 

I don't know about TE. Clay wasn't a threat at all last year. Not saying we are way better, we will have to see but I felt like Allen had no confidence in clay, he was the opposite of a safety blanket. I have hope for Knox if he gets a chance, he's a young guy with passion, so is Allen. Get 2 young athletes feeding off of each other's fire could be cool to watch.

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The obvious answer is TE. We were bad last year and not landing a "Hockenson" and Krofts injury puts us in a terrible TE position. 

IDK, we lost Clay, but he didn’t do much. Neither Hockenson nor Kroft were on the team last year, so we didn’t go backwards there. Consider that Kroft will be back, and the other additions in the draft plus Smith for blocking, and I don’t think we are any worse off. Do I hope our talent surprises? Sure, but I don’t think we regressed. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

IDK, we lost Clay, but he didn’t do much. Neither Hockenson nor Kroft were on the team last year, so we didn’t go backwards there. Consider that Kroft will be back, and the other additions in the draft plus Smith for blocking, and I don’t think we are any worse off. Do I hope our talent surprises? Sure, but I don’t think we regressed. 

Even if Kroft didn't get hurt, I wasn't holding my breath for any compelling production from these TE's. Make a trade for Rudolph then you get my attention. 

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Even if Kroft didn't get hurt, I wasn't holding my breath for any compelling production from these TE's. Make a trade for Rudolph then you get my attention. 

I’m not overflowing with unbridled optimism, but just answering the original question. I’m all for an upgrade, but I still think we are better than last year.  I also (maybe foolishly) think Croom can be better than most seem to expect. Time will tell, there. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Maybe.... watching him play hurt a lot though. 

Yeah. I couldn't quite figure out how losing DA hurts. The guy didn't even want to be on the field and I'm sure the little pointers he gave JA have run their course.

I wouldn't say we got WORSE at TE, but I don't particularly like the moves we did make. Alot is going to depend on Knox. We spent pretty big draft capital to get him, so he's going to be a pivotal pick.

4 hours ago, Chill said:

Other than that,  we have improved. Beane sacrificed last year for results this year and in the future. Of course he knows what’s he’s doing. 

If Ed Oliver reaches his potential he will be a pass rushing force that Kyle, as great as he was, never had the ability to be. 

4 hours ago, Chill said:

Did you watch Clay play? We definitely got better with him nowhere near the field. 

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

The DBs were excellent last year and they're not really old but they're not youngsters either.  If anything someone back there might lose a step.  Maybe this won't happen and this is just looking for problems where there aren't really any.

They did re-sign Gaines and drafted that safety from Florida.   So technically they have improved from last year. 

The position where they have gone from the known to the unknown is  TE.

30 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

If Ed Oliver reaches his potential he will be a pass rushing force that Kyle, as great as he was, never had the ability to be. 

I love Oliver, but let's not sell K. Williams short. The guy had 48.5 career sacks as an interior defensive lineman. Aaron Donald's come around every 20 years or so. Not quite sure where 48.5 sacks ranks all time among DT's, but I'd guess it's in the top 25. John Randle had 137.5 which is INSANE. One of the more underrated players in the league's history. After that, I'm thinking 48.5 is pretty big. Not HOF big, but nothing to dismiss. 

8 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Did you watch Clay play? We definitely got better with him nowhere near the field. 

I did watch him play. The Coaches and I agree that Clay was the best TE on the team last year. How did we improve that position? He still is better than what we have, just not worth the price. 

6 minutes ago, Chill said:

I did watch him play. The Coaches and I agree that Clay was the best TE on the team last year. How did we improve that position? He still is better than what we have, just not worth the price. 

What coaches? He was lackluster at best, and extremely disappointing at worst. He was very good at dropping game winning touchdown passes last year. He won’t be missed... at all. 

5 hours ago, Chill said:

Clay played most of the last two seasons hurt, and was rarely able to practice.  I don't think TE is any worse, and with young guys ready to step in, and the signing of arguably the best blocking TE in the league, I think it won't be far into the season that they will be better.  Kyle Williams was dependable, but it can be argued that he was becoming less disruptive as a three tech with age.  They just drafted a hyper disruptive DT in April.  The worst you can say about defensive line is that there could be some question about Oliver needing a little time to make a transition to the NFL.