Is There Any Position That The Bills Got Worse In The Offseason?

Irv

29 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Remember that we are talking about 2018.  Not what a player has been throughout his entire career.

Charles Clay was terrible last year.  Absolutely no separation, hands of stone and nothing after the catch.

I don't think we missed anything when he was out of the lineup and Jason Croom was playing.  So honestly, it could be argued that Lee Smith is an upgrade over last year's Clay.  He is a better blocker, and his pass catching couldn't be worse than what Clay offered in 2018. 

In the same way, Kyle Williams also took a step back in 2018.  At least in the pass rushing department, you just didn't see the consistent burst off the line.  He wasn't a liability.  But he wasn't his normal Pro-Bowl self either.  I don't think it's unrealistic for Ed Oliver to give us similar results as a rookie.

...a very fair, all around assessment.....:thumbsup:........still PLENTY of time for additional roster changes, but nothing currently to panic about quite yet.....barely know the names of 90 in the barn let alone abilities with TE being the concern here.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chill said:

TE is worse with Clay gone. You could argue D Line with Williams retiring. 

Other than that,  we have improved. Beane sacrificed last year for results this year and in the future. Of course he knows what’s he’s doing. 

Debatable. Croom was the leading receiver at the TE position.  Clay didn't even crack 200 yards, and Logan Thomas was the #3.  If Kroft is healthy, then I would argue it will be a better group. Kroft, Smith, Croom, and Knox.  

• Like (+1) 1

According to Vic Carucci (link below), the Bills got better at QB, RB, Rec/TE, OL, DL, ST and stayed the same at LB and Secondary, didn't get worse in any position grouping. I tend to agree, but of course as others have said, we won't know till the games start. Impossible to predict when players slow down to the point of being ineffective or how soon a rookie or other young player starts living up to their potential (or if they ever will live up to expectations). This was also written before this week's injury report, but I don't think that would have changed the receiver/TE combination assessment. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/20/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane-vic-carucci-nfl-football/

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Lol at everyone saying TE. Clay was horrible last year. 

Yep, Clay was bad.  After him there was no one.

I think TE and WR are the positions we'll see the largest improvement in this year.  Last year was bad in both positions.

8 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

According to Vic Carucci (link below), the Bills got better at QB, RB, Rec/TE, OL, DL, ST and stayed the same at LB and Secondary, didn't get worse in any position grouping. I tend to agree, but of course as others have said, we won't know till the games start. Impossible to predict when players slow down to the point of being ineffective or how soon a rookie or other young player starts living up to their potential (or if they ever will live up to expectations). This was also written before this week's injury report, but I don't think that would have changed the receiver/TE combination assessment. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/20/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane-vic-carucci-nfl-football/

I disagree with his secondary assessment, but agree on the rest. 

After Davis walked out halfway through the Charger game, CB2 was a revolving door. . Wallace settled it down in the second half of the season. Gaines, Wallace, and K Johnson make it better, and taron Johnson will be better in year 2 as well. They also have more depth at S. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chill said:

Other than that,  we have improved. Beane sacrificed last year for results this year and in the future. Of course he knows what’s he’s doing. 

I don't know how anyone can think we're worse off with our current group then with Clay... 

Oliver is likely an upgrade talent wise, but losing experience and leadership is definitely a downgrade there. 

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I'm not sure we got any better at the RB position. If you had to choose, this would be my pick. 

Incomplete currently. I'm telling you, Gore is gonna go OJ Anderson for us............

Good question. I think every position is either a solid upgrade (every position group on offensive, DL, CB) or a wash (outside LB, safety,kicking )

However, this answer will always be driven by injuries . Last year, we were fairly fortunate with health. But an injury to Tremaine makes us worse at MLB. An injury to Tre'Davious makes us worse at CB. Added depth at O'Line and WR makes it almost a lock we have to be better there regardless.

2 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

TE

OLB

DAnderson retiring hurts a little too.

Maybe.... watching him play hurt a lot though. 

As for where they got worse...I’m going DT. Kyle was s stud, and was one of the best on the field at the position.  

There was certainly an effort to address it, but it’s all unproven at this stage 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chill said:

I understand your thoughts.  But, disagree on Clay.  I think the uncertainty of his health, lack of practice time and the ability for others to get consistent reps will have us better st the position.  IF Clay was making a solid impact on game days which I don’t think he did I would lean towards your direction.