Lee Smith Contract details

17 hours ago, chris heff said:

Did Kroft have surgery on that foot last year? What is the prognosis? I know he’s out for 3-4 months. Is he a candidate for an injury settlement?

it really wouldn't bother me if they did do this. check out the post below this as to the date of the last injury. i doubt it ever gets right.

but...i could see them with lee,  croom, knox and sweeney, while kroft can stay ( and most likely will) on the pup list until late september.  worry about it then.

however, if i were mcbeane,  i would bail on this deal.  if we end up carrying the 4 above, i'd feel ok with it.  smith provides a good vet presence and i got a feeling sweeney may surprise.  i'm actually glad smith is here to help him. i think croom and knox can provide all the pass catching we'll need at the position.

Edited by billsredneck1

8 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

it really wouldn't bother me if they did do this. check out the post below this as to the date of the last injury. i doubt it ever gets right.

but...i could see them with lee,  croom, knox and sweeney, while kroft can stay ( and most likely will) on the pup list until late september.  worry about it then.

however, if i were mcbeane,  i would bail on this deal.  if we end up carrying the 4 above, i'd feel ok with it.  smith provides a good vet presence and i got a feeling sweeney may surprise.  i'm actually glad smith is here to help him. i think croom and knox can provide all the pass catching we'll need at the position.

Apparently they rarely do injury settlements with vets. I wasn’t really clear on how that works. It is concerning to put it mildly that he immediately re-injured that foot. 

15 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Eric wood was an injury settlement. 

Its basically just a contract buy out. A lot more likely to happen with camp fodder type players you don’t want to tie up resources in than a key vet that you hope can contribute and comes with a hefty price tag though.

Yeah, Wood knew he would get more money "being injured" than outright retiring.

We both know that a vet is getting his money if injured.  When I was replying to Chris it was more along the lines of some people thinking

an "injury settlement" can somehow save a team more money than a contract buyout (that's a good term you used).

As bad as the Kroft situation is imagine being WAS with the Alex Smith injury!

That's a problem.

23 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Kroft can't be cut while he is injured.  If it ends up being a long injury recovery they could put him on IR.

I also think he is eligible for the Active/PUP list which could turn into a Reserve/PUP after preseason.

Everyone will just have to wait and see how the recovery goes for now.

I never mentioned "cutting" him. I was explaining the rationale to signing Lee Smith...

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Augie said:

I know, I know, Mr Polly Anna here, but I’m glad it happened now and now in September. Hopefully he comes back 100% in the 3-4 months as they say. Better that than never seeing Clay’s knees having a miraculous recovery. Or his hands, for that matter. (Yes, I had a bad moment in the Dolphin game!) 

Moving on from Clay to where Bills are now, even with Kroft's situation . i feel okay at TE  position for Allen.

Poor Clay was just falling apart. Good fellow and player.
Hoping Croom improves quite a bit with hands.

Smith will do what Smith does.

Knox is kind of exciting. and i would put two dollars on Sweeney to "show" this year. he might have something. see how quickly and far he develops.

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Except multiple teams were trying to sign him but do not let facts stop your irrational posts since he signed.

It is the water in Niagara Falls.  Worse than some third world countries.

Are you saying teams were lined up to sign this scrub?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Are you saying teams were lined up to sign this scrub?

That's what they are saying despite any sources... samething they complain about with ESPN and everyone else when they do it.

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Except multiple teams were trying to sign him but do not let facts stop your irrational posts since he signed.

You've provided no facts...

Edited by Ol Dirty B

14 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You've provided no facts...

His agent said he had multiple teams wanting him to sign. Maybe it is agent BS but makes more sense than Bills giving him 3 year contract with large guarantee rather than a minimum veteran contract as some say they could get away with.