Lee Smith Contract details

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

Did I disagree with a MOD??

I don't know. You said this to me the other day for some reason and I asked you what you were talking about and you never responded, so figured I'd throw it back at ya.

14 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

People have to say this at least once in every thread.

You’d think they’re being billed by the thread around here. Why anyone would care enough to waste their time ‘alerting’ the masses is beyond me. It’s a football message board. 

who cares

Edited by dwight in philly

22 hours ago, ******* said:

#Bills TE Lee Smith's 3-year deal is worth $9m with $4.9m fully gtd--2-year structure (year 1: $1.9m base, $1.5m 5/15 RB; year 2: $1m of base, $500k RB).  They had a lot of competition for him, which might help to explain the strong guarantees.

Why pay that much for a scrub no other team wanted,  could have signed him for min

On 5/23/2019 at 4:58 PM, John from Riverside said:

Not ready to give up on Kroft just yet.....

Did Kroft have surgery on that foot last year? What is the prognosis? I know he’s out for 3-4 months. Is he a candidate for an injury settlement?

6 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Did Kroft have surgery on that foot last year? What is the prognosis? I know he’s out for 3-4 months. Is he a candidate for an injury settlement?

...exactly right...and same foot.....Sammy II??..........

Rotowire Staff-Nov. 16, 2018

Kroft underwent season-ending foot surgery Friday and will be placed on injured reserve, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Kroft missed the Bengals' past four games due to a fractured right foot and had yet to resume practicing since suffering the injury. His limited progress prompted the Bengals to send him in for the procedure, making Kroft the team's fourth tight end to land on IR this season. Cincinnati signed linebacker Brandon Bell off its practice squad to take Kroft's spot on the 53-man roster.

Kroft, after breaking the same foot twice now is not dependable. Time to move on. Lee Smith is a veteran who knows how to run the plays and what his role is and is valuable for those reasons. He won't hurt you out there and is dependable.

36 minutes ago, chris heff said:

11 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Kroft, after breaking the same foot twice now is not dependable. Time to move on. Lee Smith is a veteran who knows how to run the plays and what his role is and is valuable for those reasons. He won't hurt you out there and is dependable.

Kroft can't be cut while he is injured.  If it ends up being a long injury recovery they could put him on IR.

I also think he is eligible for the Active/PUP list which could turn into a Reserve/PUP after preseason.

Everyone will just have to wait and see how the recovery goes for now.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Kroft can't be cut while he is injured.  If it ends up being a long injury recovery they could put him on IR.

I also think he is eligible for the Active/PUP list which could turn into a Reserve/PUP after preseason.

Everyone will just have to wait and see how the recovery goes for now.

Is an injury settlement considered being cut?

15 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Is an injury settlement considered being cut?

Injury settlements are used for rookies/UDFAs not vets.

It get's complicated because there are different options for rounds drafted.

Undrafted players are by far the most guys using injury settlements.

Injury settlements are debated/agreed upon on as to how many weeks a player with an injury will be out and then

computations are done.

That being said, Kroft was a FA vet and signed a contract with guarantees.

He was injured during a practice so he is further protected for all his medical/rehab/etc.

That's why vets only go to IR or PUP for all major football injuries.

IF his injury was career ending he would get all his guaranteed money and then the Bills can cut him.

Right now the Bills have to wait until he heals and their only decision is if/when to designate him "injured".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/23/2019 at 3:49 PM, John from Riverside said:

I was just about to type that.

When we need to go vertical with TE's......we can use Knox......Smith provides the veteran presense.

or Croom

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Man. I thought I was a pessimist. This guy puts all the naysayers to shame!

yep 10 days on the wire we pick solid role player up for a decent contract.
whats to like ?

lol

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/23/2019 at 3:32 PM, John from Riverside said:

The problem with Croom is he cant block a lick.....he is an oversized WR.

I want to see this running game take off again and that will really help Allen as well.....I think we drafted a TE high in this draft for a reason.

We drafted one in the middle of the draft because we had what otherwise qualified as a bad group. 

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Injury settlements are used for rookies/UDFAs not vets.

It get's complicated because there are different options for rounds drafted.

Undrafted players are by far the most guys using injury settlements.

Injury settlements are debated/agreed upon on as to how many weeks a player with an injury will be out and then

computations are done.

That being said, Kroft was a FA vet and signed a contract with guarantees.

He was injured during a practice so he is further protected for all his medical/rehab/etc.

That's why vets only go to IR or PUP for all major football injuries.

IF his injury was career ending he would get all his guaranteed money and then the Bills can cut him.

Right now the Bills have to wait until he heals and their only decision is if/when to designate him "injured".

A vet can get an injury settlement too. It’s just not practical for a major contract and having to replace a guy that’s expected to contribute. 

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

A vet can get an injury settlement too. It’s just not practical for a major contract and having to replace a guy that’s expected to contribute. 

Are you sure?  I always seen if a vet got hurt in preseason and goes to IR for the year he gets his full salary.

I never heard of a "vested" vet being forced into an injury settlement.

If you got an example I would be interested in seeing it.

25 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Are you sure?  I always seen if a vet got hurt in preseason and goes to IR for the year he gets his full salary.

I never heard of a "vested" vet being forced into an injury settlement.

If you got an example I would be interested in seeing it.

Eric wood was an injury settlement. 

Its basically just a contract buy out. A lot more likely to happen with camp fodder type players you don’t want to tie up resources in than a key vet that you hope can contribute and comes with a hefty price tag though.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

I know, I know, Mr Polly Anna here, but I’m glad it happened now and now in September. Hopefully he comes back 100% in the 3-4 months as they say. Better that than never seeing Clay’s knees having a miraculous recovery. Or his hands, for that matter. (Yes, I had a bad moment in the Dolphin game!) 

20 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Why pay that much for a scrub no other team wanted,  could have signed him for min

Except multiple teams were trying to sign him but do not let facts stop your irrational posts since he signed.

15 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Man. I thought I was a pessimist. This guy puts all the naysayers to shame!

It is the water in Niagara Falls.  Worse than some third world countries.

• Haha (+1) 1