Speaking of the Nanny State...

13 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Books: yes. E-Books: not unless you want to pay a fine or have @row_33 run you over.

i wouldn't run anyone over, trouble is in Toronto the SUV behind me honks the horn when i actually wait for the red to turn green before I go straight through a four-or-eight lane intersection.

Buffalo's fun is the stop lights are so low that you can miss a few...  :(

Edited by row_33

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i wouldn't run anyone over, trouble is in Toronto the SUV behind me honks the horn when i actually wait for the red to turn green before I go straight through a four-or-eight lane intersection.

Buffalo's fun is the stop lights are so low that you can miss a few...  :(

That used to annoy the hell out of me when I lived in the city. Stop at the line, and I couldn't see the ***** light.

18 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

That used to annoy the hell out of me when I lived in the city. Stop at the line, and I couldn't see the ***** light.

i was aware once that, oh *****, i just went through a light, hope it was green or nobody was watching me....

13 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

My first new car had a sunroof specifically so I could see the lights.

13 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

My first new car had a sunroof specifically so I could see the lights.

just as bad was Pittsburgh bridge beams blocking exit signs, GPS has helped out a lot

On 5/23/2019 at 8:39 AM, Turk71 said:

Not wearing a seatbelt. Jaywalking and crossing against the light. Illegal. Not a surprise, less people you have to scrape off the street.

Speaking of nanny state, you know what's illegal in Dallas. Dildos. In fact, speaking of nanny states Texas has got some of the weirdest and most backward laws in the nation on the books. You probably knew that though.

Is any of this learned through personal experience?

18 hours ago, Foxx said:

so... i guess in effect what you're saying here, is that your parents still get a babysitter for you when they go out because your too afraid to be left alone.

What a brilliant comparison! Yes, because Medicare is taking care of mom, the EPA is making sure our air quality isn't like New Delhi's and criminal enterprises like Trump University get shut down I need a babysitter. Why not just say we don't need to enjoy a fair and just society? 

• 4 weeks later...

INSTITUTE FOR JUSTICE: Louisiana Hair Braiders File Lawsuit to Untangle State’s Unnecessary Braiding License.

Lynn Schofield, a plaintiff in the lawsuit, experienced firsthand the harms of Louisiana’s unnecessary red tape. She moved to Louisiana in 2000 and opened Afro Touch, the state’s first salon dedicated solely to hair braiding. It was so successful, she expanded her business to four locations with more than 20 employees. But that all changed in 2003 when the Board created the braiding license. Braiding without a license is punishable by fines of up to $5,000 per incident. Unable to fully staff her salons, Lynn could no longer expand her business, and instead was forced to shut down salons.

“I want to grow my business, but it’s impossible with Louisiana’s rules,” Lynn said. Today, only one salon remains.

“It is unconstitutional to license something as safe and common as hair braiding,” said IJ Attorney Jaimie Cavanaugh. “Economic liberty—or the right to earn a living in the profession of one’s choosing—is a right protected by the Louisiana Constitution.”

More like this, please.

• Like (+1) 2