Speaking of the Nanny State...

42 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Not wearing a seatbelt. Jaywalking and crossing against the light. Illegal. Not a surprise, less people you have to scrape off the street.

Speaking of nanny state, you know what's illegal in Dallas. Dildos. In fact, speaking of nanny states Texas has got some of the weirdest and most backward laws in the nation on the books. You probably knew that though.

The headline New York State Senate introduces bill to make texting while walking illegal is incorrect. The bill makes it illegal to text while in crosswalks.

"This is a bill that says don't text while crossing the street, wait the 10 seconds, to get to the other side," Queens Senator John Liu said.

I'm for it. 

Imagine a US state where locksmiths, pastoral counselors, home security companies, and acupuncturists do not have to be licensed by the government to do business. They could pursue certification with a private organization if they wanted to, but they could decide not to as well. Would chaos ensue?

Recently, the state legislature in my home state of North Carolina approved draft legislation that would undo licensing requirements for 15 professions, including locksmithing, pastoral counseling, and acupuncture. At present, practicing in these professions requires licensure by the state, but this bill would dissolve that requirement for these professions. . . .

And what if the state decides not to serve as licenser? Will private organizations step in? The answer is an almost certain yes. Take athletic trainers, one of the professions the North Carolina bill would remove licensure requirements for. Becoming an “athletic trainer” in North Carolina requires a state license, but becoming a “personal trainer” does not. It turns out, however, that most employers seem to want only certified personal trainers. So where do personal trainers get certified? Often, employers will only hire trainers with college degrees in a field like exercise science. But there are also — you guessed it — private certifying bodies for personal trainers, such as the National Personal Training Institute and the International Fitness Association. Why do employers tend to hire trainers who are certified? Presumably, it’s not because of any government demands, but because they find those trainers to be better for business.

Locksmithing is another profession for which the North Carolina bill would dissolve licensure requirements. To help us predict the outcome for the state’s consumers, we can look to Great Britain, where the government imposes no licensing requirement on locksmiths. British locksmiths can, however, pursue certification with the nonprofit Master Locksmith Association and other similar organizations, which allow locksmiths to advertise as certified. And, true to form, a good many locksmiths voluntarily acquire this certification.

Occupational licensing holds people back, and limits competition.

Why Should Anyone Need a License for Anything?

The answer, as always, is GRAFT

On 5/23/2019 at 9:39 AM, Turk71 said:

Not wearing a seatbelt. Jaywalking and crossing against the light. Illegal. Not a surprise, less people you have to scrape off the street.

Speaking of nanny state, you know what's illegal in Dallas. Dildos. In fact, speaking of nanny states Texas has got some of the weirdest and most backward laws in the nation on the books. You probably knew that though.

Ok then! I have broken the law in Dallas a few times! 

On 5/23/2019 at 6:43 AM, McGee Return TD said:

The headline New York State Senate introduces bill to make texting while walking illegal is incorrect. The bill makes it illegal to text while in crosswalks.

"This is a bill that says don't text while crossing the street, wait the 10 seconds, to get to the other side," Queens Senator John Liu said.

I'm for it. 

Why?

Can you imagine life without the nanny state? Poor, brutal, unhealthy, dirty, nasty and scary! I so wish Conservatives would form their own Libertarian waste land and all just go away there. I'd support building a wall around Dumb*****astan to keep them in there. 

Happy Memorial Day!! :) 

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Can you imagine life without the nanny state? Poor, brutal, unhealthy, dirty, nasty and scary! I so wish Conservatives would form their own Libertarian waste land and all just go away there. I'd support building a wall around Dumb*****astan to keep them in there. 

Happy Memorial Day!! :) 

so... i guess in effect what you're saying here, is that your parents still get a babysitter for you when they go out because your too afraid to be left alone.

Edited by Foxx

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Can you imagine life without the nanny state? Poor, brutal, unhealthy, dirty, nasty and scary!

Man, I think it would be terrible. You'd wind up with something like this:

rawImage.jpg

With the population using the streets as toilets, needing to be cleaned daily!

article-urn:publicid:ap.org:d6257c463610

Oh wait, that's California, the premier nanny state.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Foxx said:

so... i guess in effect what you're saying here, is that your parents still get a babysitter for you when they go out because your too afraid to be left alone.

I highly doubt that. In the past 2 years they've "accidently" left him in 4 restaurants, 5 gas stations and 13 interstate rest stops. In fact one time they left him at home with the front door unlocked and a pile of newspapers on the front porch.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

what am i supposed to do trying to make a left-hand turn in my car and 5 people who have the light to walk across are texting....

10 seconds, 15 seconds....

Hit the accelerator, and let Darwinism take it's course.

14 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Hit the accelerator, and let Darwinism take it's course.

yeah, that is a thought for a second or two....

always one looks up and dashes out in half a second.

in Toronto you have 6-way crosswalks with 2/3 of people starting at their phones.