How to shut down a protest, Israeli-style

Take off your shirt, apparently.

https://twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1130362811069149189

The story is that ultra-Orthodox Jews were protesting the Eurovision Contest being held on Saturday.

They blocked the street and fought with police officers sent to un-block it

A small group of women then stripped down to their upper undergarmets, sending the Haredim fleeing

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not at all

It’s honestly fascinating how different things are in other parts of the world. My new mission is to travel far more than we have in the past. There are reasons for that, but we are playing catch up. Experiences > things. 

I believe some feminists protest in parts of Europe by going topless. I could be wrong, but if I'm right I don't think that is a solution.

I'm never for a protest that is unannounced blocking traffic, and disrupting business and people just trying to get to work or pick up their kids from school or daycare. 

It's more of what I think is a new phenomenon. Some people protest, the other protests the protest. Then more protest the protests protest. 

I'm not super religious, and it isn't that bad in this instance. It's just like a bikini top, but I mean maybe someone has their child with them who'd rather not expose a 3 year old to all this crap yet.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I believe some feminists protest in parts of Europe by going topless. I could be wrong, but if I'm right I don't think that is a solution.

I'm never for a protest that is unannounced blocking traffic, and disrupting business and people just trying to get to work or pick up their kids from school or daycare. 

It's more of what I think is a new phenomenon. Some people protest, the other protests the protest. Then more protest the protests protest. 

I'm not super religious, and it isn't that bad in this instance. It's just like a bikini top, but I mean maybe someone has their child with them who'd rather not expose a 3 year old to all this crap yet.

This must be the sexy thing to say.  Think of the children!

That's (causing a disruption on your precious  individual existence) the whole point in civil disobedience.  

LMAO... Like anything will get done if nobody is bothered.

I hate it as much as you if whatever is happening doesn't align with my beliefs and puts a dent in my rat race... YET, I fully understand why my inconvenience is taking place.

Gee... Warn me first. I am in control.  How lazy of a society have we become?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This must be the sexy thing to say.  Think of the children!

That's (causing a disruption on your precious  individual existence) the whole point in civil disobedience.  

LMAO... Like anything will get done if nobody is bothered.

I hate it as much as you if whatever is happening doesn't align with my beliefs and puts a dent in my rat race... YET, I fully understand why my inconvenience is taking place.

Gee... Warn me first. I am in control.  How lazy of a society have we become?

Most of the civil rights movement was organized beforehand, which I believe is one of the most successful series of protests. It wasn't people just deciding to link arms on the golden gate bridge. 

I understand inconvenience is part of it. But by just deciding we are going to do this now is harming people who probably would have otherwise supported this.

You're actually supporting fundamentlists in this instance, which I don't think is where you intended to go. 

The religious ones decided to block traffic unannounced and I'm not a fan of that. 

Ghandi starved himself at his own expense for others. He didn't put single moms and people struggling at his expense.

It's actually backwards and faulty logic that we must put others in a worse position to show how bad ours is.

It never works. 

Empathy is the solution. Understanding each other.

Instead we do what you did and lump everyone together. This whole privileged stuff is a cancer.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Of course, most civil disobedience these days consists of bored hipsters acting out because they can’t handle getting thrown off Dad & Mom welfare.

Actually it seems like this instance was mom and dad not liking the bf and the teenager marrying him.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember a story about an environmental protestor in in the old Soviet Russia. He chained himself to a tree to prevent the authorities from converting a valley in to a dam. They just left him there and flooded it with water!

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

I remember a story about an environmental protestor in in the old Soviet Russia. He chained himself to a tree to prevent the authorities from converting a valley in to a dam. They just left him there and flooded it with water!

Ouch. Not surprising considering the country.

• Like (+1) 1

I have also taken off my shirt  in moments of high tension.  I ain’t no Chris Farley, but if you get them to chuckle just a little bit, it’s a ***** in the armor.....and you can break them down!  It helps if you paint a smiley face on first. 

Maybe.....

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I have also taken off my shirt  in moments of high tension.  I ain’t no Chris Farley, but if you get them to chuckle just a little bit, it’s a ***** in the armor.....and you can break them down!  It helps if you paint a smiley face on first. 

Maybe.....

I've got a good Chris Farley story. If you want to hear it PM me. I'm not putting all his business out there. Not that people will take what I say and run with it.

Hilarious but out of control.

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I've got a good Chris Farley story. If you want to hear it PM me. I'm not putting all his business out there. Not that people will take what I say and run with it.

Hilarious but out of control.

Sad that so many of the greats leave so early. I’m afraid there is a relationship there.

I love good stories, but if it denegrates him in any way, I’ll just forgive him for being human. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s honestly fascinating how different things are in other parts of the world. My new mission is to travel far more than we have in the past. There are reasons for that, but we are playing catch up. Experiences > things. 

My wife wanted to go to the Holy Land.  I found out it's 11+ hours out of Newark, and said NO.  A little expensive too.  I keep my missions to the 6 hour max range.

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Most of the civil rights movement was organized beforehand, which I believe is one of the most successful series of protests. It wasn't people just deciding to link arms on the golden gate bridge. 

I understand inconvenience is part of it. But by just deciding we are going to do this now is harming people who probably would have otherwise supported this.

You're actually supporting fundamentlists in this instance, which I don't think is where you intended to go. 

The religious ones decided to block traffic unannounced and I'm not a fan of that. 

Ghandi starved himself at his own expense for others. He didn't put single moms and people struggling at his expense.

It's actually backwards and faulty logic that we must put others in a worse position to show how bad ours is.

It never works. 

Empathy is the solution. Understanding each other.

Instead we do what you did and lump everyone together. This whole privileged stuff is a cancer.

That's fair enough.  I see where you are coming from.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

My wife wanted to go to the Holy Land.  I found out it's 11+ hours out of Newark, and said NO.  A little expensive too.  I keep my missions to the 6 hour max range.

I get her wanting to go. AND, I get you having serious reservations. We just completed an “international” trip (just Bahamas, but you have immigration), and have a much larger trip planned early fall. This isn’t the place for discussion, but it’s serious give and take. The day we get back may be my happiest day, despite how much I want the rest. Home is home. 

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Of course, most civil disobedience these days consists of bored hipsters acting out because they can’t handle getting thrown off Dad & Mom welfare.

4debddbcf585c0f261319c8849d15a4a.jpg

Wait a sec... This guy was @ the Israeli protest?  Which part did he come from:

meme5.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois