We’ve claimed T De’Ondre Wesley off waivers and signed TE Mik’Quan Deane

37 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

This makes no sense to me. Along with the fact that they just signed Lee Smith to a three year contract, adding another TE to the mix makes me suspect that they aren't fine rolling with Knox, Sweeney, and Croom. Would McD expect Sweeney to be more than PS candidate? At the very least, I certainly wouldn't put Sweeney above Knox, Croom, or Smith.

Can we roll with who looks good in camp and the preseason?  Of course there's always the "Peterman Curse" in that regard.

1 minute ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Can we roll with who looks good in camp and the preseason?  Of course there's always the "Peterman Curse" in that regard.

Well, of course. Lots of things are going to change between now and September. Any discussion on the current state of the depth chart is speculative. My point was that adding to the TE room does not indicate that there is a set of three that they're decided on. And, all that being said, I would assume that they're still going to value veteran experience along with preseason performance.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

The addition of a guy like Mik'Quan Deane -- rather than pursuing a "name" player like a Kyle Rudolph -- tells me they're fine rolling with Knox, Sweeney, and Croom until Kroft comes back healthy. Hopefully the rooks can get up to speed quickly.

While your theory is plausible, I will note that Deane can be jettisoned at low cost if and when a Rudolph signing happens. In other words, Deane signing and a Rudolph interest are not mutually exclusive.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

The addition of a guy like Mik'Quan Deane -- rather than pursuing a "name" player like a Kyle Rudolph -- tells me they're fine rolling with Knox, Sweeney, and Croom until Kroft comes back healthy. Hopefully the rooks can get up to speed quickly.

Or it could mean Rudolph is negotiating with the Vikings and isn't taking the Bills calls.  Or, Buffalo doesn't want to spend on a guy who doesn't average 10 yards per reception.  It could mean a lot of things.  What I'm confident is, they're not confident in their TE starting or depth with Kroft out.  

4 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Mik'Quan Deane sounds like an H-back type.  He's the smallest and lightest of Buffalo's tight ends.  If he gets stronger and can block, I wonder if he could make DiMarco expendable

What, is the strength and conditioning coach being given a requirement that he get another 50 pounds on his bench press and add another 20 in muscle by August?

22 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Or it could mean Rudolph is negotiating with the Vikings and isn't taking the Bills calls.  Or, Buffalo doesn't want to spend on a guy who doesn't average 10 yards per reception.  It could mean a lot of things.  What I'm confident is, they're not confident in their TE starting or depth with Kroft out.  

What, is the strength and conditioning coach being given a requirement that he get another 50 pounds on his bench press and add another 20 in muscle by August?

He doesn't need to add any weight at all, though another 5 lbs or so wouldn't hurt.  If he can block, maybe Deane could replace DiMarco as is, but most college players can benefit from NFL level strength and conditioning, especially those who didn't come from big schools.

4 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Don't forget Lee Smith is involved. We seem to have a lot of depth there thankfully

I'm skeptical of the idea of doing TE by committee, and adding an overflow of relatively low-profile depth.

When low-end draft picks and low-interest FAs succeed somewhere, it's because they're a good fit for the system, and get lots of attention from the coaching staff to keep developing. These players need a lot of work, so I don't even think their long-term potential can be reasonably gauged after a couple months of preseason.

Consider the following example. Teams A and B have two TEs already on their roster, and want to add one or two in depth. Team A adds 2 new TEs through the draft and UDFA, and gives them attention and the chance to succeed. Team B adds 10, and lets them battle it out for a spot or two. While team B might end up with a better player, the same player on both teams would be more likely to improve and succeed under team A's approach. I think there has to be an appropriate medium for how much competition is ideal.

A way to evaluate this might be to look at teams who added tons of competition at one position in preseason, and then look at some measures of players' NFL success. Have teams that have introduced tons of UDFA competition at a position before, ended up with good quality long-term players?

8 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills really are trying to roll people through for evaluations.  Seems like a no stone unturned scenario. 

If that were the case I would have been laid much earlier in life :D

I'm not sue if truer words have ever been spoken....

12 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Mik'Quan Deane sounds like an H-back type.  He's the smallest and lightest of Buffalo's tight ends.  If he gets stronger and can block, I wonder if he could make DiMarco expendable

DiMarco already is expendable.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jamiezzz said:

What' the issue with Knox?  Is he really holding out?  Haven't heard about this yet.

....found this, but only on one site (overthecap.com)..............

Contract History

Team Contract Type Status Year Signed Yrs Total APY Guarantees Amount Earned % Earned Effective APY
Bills Drafted Active 2019 4 $3,356,784   $839,196 $0 $0 0.0% $0
Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL

There are a ton of different theories out there. 

He's at OTAs and working with the team.   That is what really matters.  

There's something about third round picks and available years that seems be the reason he's the only rookie still unsigned.  Seems like half the league hasn't signed their third rounders.

A nice TBDer turned me on to this site: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/round-3/

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....found this, but only on one site (overthecap.com)..............

Contract History

Team Contract Type Status Year Signed Yrs Total APY Guarantees Amount Earned % Earned Effective APY
Bills Drafted Active 2019 4 $3,356,784   $839,196 $0 $0 0.0% $0

Rookie Contracts are SET in stone.  Only finite details can be tweaked.  So basically over the cap and spotrac can post contract # and be 99.999% correct 

23 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

There's something about third round picks and available years that seems be the reason he's the only rookie still unsigned.  Seems like half the league hasn't signed their third rounders.

A nice TBDer turned me on to this site: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/round-3/

I think the (assumptions) speculation is that for some reason the 3rd round had some flexibility in what a player can or can't ask for 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Rookie Contracts are SET in stone.  Only finite details can be tweaked.  So basically over the cap and spotrac can post contract # and be 99.999% correct 

I think the (assumptions) speculation is that for some reason the 3rd round had some flexibility in what a player can or can't ask for 

..thanks bud...so my "find" tells us nothing......but why show for OTA's if you're not under contract and suffer a serious injury?....what is your recourse?............

• Like (+1) 1