QB Rankings Thought Exercise

The Dog days of the NFL offseason... 

I got this idea from Around the NFL Podcast and tweaked it a little bit. 

I wanted to rank the starting QB's of the NFL while looking at all of the factors. From age, to experience, to injury. I used a bit of a mix between ranking them as they are now, and asking who I would want to start a team with right now. 

Feel free to flame on, or to make counterpoints/do your own...

1.       Russell Wilson

Between Wilson and Mahomes it came down to production over time.

2.       Patrick Mahomes

Mahomes could be 1 and it not be a stretch- I do want to see who he is gonna be if Hill is gone.

3.       Andrew Luck

Could have been higher, but that shoulder injury stays in the mind slightly.

4.       Aaron Rodgers

Age mixed with recent reports tarnished this- also, lack of overall accomplishment in the past few years.

5.       Carson Wentz

Talent wise could be top two, injuries pushed him down.

6.       Baker Mayfield

Was originally higher but need to see more than one year.

7.       Matt Ryan

Statistically he’s a top three, but he needs to get the monkey off his back.

8.       Tom Brady

Even though I wanted to put him at 33 right behind Nathan Peterman, I had to be realistic. This is probably actually low, but Father time will get his due sooner than later (fingers crossed)

9.       Drew Brees

The guillotine of time is hanging over his head as well…

10.   Deshaun Watson

Consistency has been an issue.

11.   Jared Goff

The Superbowl knocked him way down on this list.  

12.   Ben Roethlisburger

Not sure I trust him to be mentally there

13.   Phillip Rivers

Can he win big games? Also, is his age slowing him down?

14.   Nick Foles

Right near the middle for him, which seems appropriate. His biggest boost is that we know he can win when the chips are down.

15.   Kirk Cousins

His biggest detraction is the exact inverse of the above.

16.   Jimmy Garapolo

Lot of questions to be answered.

17.   Josh Allen

These next two have youth working in their favor. I see them at the same level so I listed Allen above because duh.

18.   Sam Darnold

I personally would have him lower, but I put him here with Allen to counter my bias.

19.   Dak Prescott

Meh. (but with upside cause he’s young)

20.   Matthew Stafford

Could probably be higher, but I don’t feel compelled to move him up.

21.   Cam Newton

Newton should be higher, but that shoulder scares me.

22.   Mitchell Trubisky

I don’t have any clue how this guy will turn out.

23.   Derek Carr

I thought he was great at one time, now he’s just somebody that I used to know..

24.   Lamar Jackson

College offenses are great, but at some point he’s going to have to play the QB position.

25.   Dwayne Haskins

No idea on this kid.

26.   Kyler Murray

This is higher than I initially thought he would be, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. I don’t think his stature will do well, and I wasn't crazy about how he handled himself pre-draft. But time will tell.

27.   Marcus Mariota

Who the heck knows at this point…

28.   Josh Rosen

I didn’t like him before the draft and haven’t been given much reason to change my mind. We’ll see.

29.   Andy Dalton

Meh. (but without upside)

30.   Joe Flacco

This probably isn’t fair to who he is right at this moment, but the idea of starting a team with him is not great.

31.   Jameis Winston 

He has a chance to redeem himself this coming year, but he has a lot of work to do.

32.   Eli Manning

Shoulda transitioned into the “mentor” role 3 years ago, now It’s just painful.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Come on with Allen at 17.  At least try to be somewhat objective. Cam is too low.  Winston below Mariota??? What has Jimmy G done to be that high? Brady below Matt Ryan? What?

with all due respect, this is like a list of super models that has Melissa McCarthy #1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Come on with Allen at 17.  At least try to be somewhat objective. Cam is too low.  Winston below Mariota??? What has Jimmy G done to be that high? Brady below Matt Ryan? What?

with all due respect, this is like a list of super models that has Melissa McCarthy #1.

I like Melissa...but not ahead of Christy Brinkley's latest photos ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was going to laugh at you for talking about a 60yo but I saw the pictures. I feel bad for her daughters because their mom is way hotter.

Well, that's like saying Watson is better than Rivers. Its just funny lol

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Make your own then. You can put Rosen as high as you want. ?

Which of the QB's below Allen and Darnold would you rather have to build your team around? They either have as many questions or else are known to be mediocre. The only ones who are for sure better are Stafford and Newton. Stafford you really have to ask if he's at his ceiling, and Newton's shoulder is an issue. Plus, I could move either of them above the young guys. 

Winston is trash! Mariota isn't much better, but he's shown things when healthy. 

Jimmy G i'll give you. He could have been lower. We'll see with him.

Brady is where he is because of age. 

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

flameon_600x400-.jpg?1472074111&s=fd9046

29.   Andy Dalton

Are you crazy?    IMO Andy is a good QB.    Not his problem the HC cant win in the playoffs  (Like Rivers) 

I do feel Dalton gets a bad rap because of his red hair.  I feel like if we took his name of his resume, he would be thought of better.  He would be the 2nd best qb in Bills history.

3 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Well, that's like saying Watson is better than Rivers. Its just funny lol

I really like Watson and think he has crazy upside but it’s way too earlier for him being higher than Rivers.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I do feel Dalton gets a bad rap because of his red hair.  I feel like if we took his name of his resume, he would be thought of better.  He would be the 2nd best qb in Bills history.

Like Andy. Always have. But he's only ever been top 15 to me....(which is fine considering his dysfunctional teams he has been a part of)

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Which of the QB's below Allen and Darnold would you rather have to build your team around? They either have as many questions or else are known to be mediocre. The only ones who are for sure better are Stafford and Newton. Stafford you really have to ask if he's at his ceiling, and Newton's shoulder is an issue. Plus, I could move either of them above the young guys. 

Winston is trash! Mariota isn't much better, but he's shown things when healthy. 

I respect because it’s good for discussion.  I try to look at things objectively.  If this wasn’t a Bills board, where would Allen be ranked?  Probably near the bottom.  

But you’re right and I’ll try to throw my own rankings some time soon.  Good discussion though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I respect because it’s good for discussion.  I try to look at things objectively.  If this wasn’t a Bills board, where would Allen be ranked?  Probably near the bottom.  

But you’re right and I’ll try to throw my own rankings some time soon.  Good discussion though. 

Meh, really All of last years class and this years guys should be separated cause they're just big question marks. So yeah, it's just projection and definitely optimistic. I just can't see taking any of those guys below him to start a franchise. Just my take. 

• Like (+1) 1

Such a big difference when you do the ranking based on what they have done, what they might do in 2019 or for what you think they might do over the next 5 or 10 years.  I don't think I could "mix" those ideas in any logical way.

Edit:

Maybe think of it like this:  If they were all free agents and you had to sign them to a guaranteed, 6 year, 200 million dollar contract, what order do they go in?  That's a mix of past, present and future considerations.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

I've always felt that the best way to sort QBs is in 5 tiers:

Elite - All you need is this guy and you're a bona fide Super Bowl contender every year

Franchise - This guy can be a key contributor (even if he's not the numero uno factor) in helping you win a Super Bowl

Starter - He's not a franchise QB, but if everything else goes nearly perfect, this guy can get hot and win you a Super Bowl

Unknown - Guys that have started for fewer than 2 seasons and haven't looked totally dominant or totally lost

Stopgap - Everyone else

With the above in mind, here's what I've got (these are listed in tiers, not in order within the tier):

Elite

Ben, Luck, Rodgers, Brees

Franchise

Brady (not elite any more), Watson, Mahomes (if he comes close to last year's performance without Hill/Hunt he'll move up), Rivers, Wilson, Goff, Stafford, Cousins, Newton, Ryan, Eli, A. Smith, Dak, Wentz

Starter

Dalton, Mariota, Foles, Carr, Flacco, Winston

Unknown

Allen, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, Murray, Garoppolo, Trubisky

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

FWIW  - You did say  FLAME ON.  

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I've always felt that the best way to sort QBs is in 5 tiers:

Elite - All you need is this guy and you're a bona fide Super Bowl contender every year

Franchise - This guy can be a key contributor (even if he's not the numero uno factor) in helping you win a Super Bowl

Starter - He's not a franchise QB, but if everything else goes nearly perfect, this guy can get hot and win you a Super Bowl

Unknown - Guys that have started for fewer than 2 seasons and haven't looked totally dominant or totally lost

Stopgap - Everyone else

With the above in mind, here's what I've got (these are listed in tiers, not in order within the tier):

Elite

Ben, Luck, Rodgers, Brees

Franchise

Brady (not elite any more), Watson, Mahomes (if he comes close to last year's performance without Hill/Hunt he'll move up), Rivers, Wilson, Goff, Stafford, Cousins, Newton, Ryan, Eli, A. Smith, Dak, Wentz

Starter

Dalton, Mariota, Foles, Carr, Flacco, Winston

Unknown

Allen, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, Murray, Garoppolo, Trubisky

At one time but Eii should have retired 2 years ago 

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

FWIW  - You did say  FLAME ON.  

Yep! I'm fine with it! Some of my ranking is worth defending, some is just random. :P

13 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Are we talking potential, production, or what? Cause any list that has Wilson #1 and Eli #32 is crazy to fathom to me

A little bit of all... I definitely was looking with the "Who do i want for the next 3-5 years" outlook. If it was who was the best career wise, Eli would be #3 behind Brady and Brees on this list (tied with Big Ben).

9 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Such a big difference when you do the ranking based on what they have done, what they might do in 2019 or for what you think they might do over the next 5 or 10 years.  I don't think I could "mix" those ideas in any logical way.

Definitely the biggest issue with my ranking is that I tried to do that.. It's darn near impossible. 

Edited by whatdrought