All in the Family/Jeffersons: LIVE TONIGHT (5/22/19)

Gugny

Norman Lear is 96? He looks the same as he did when he launched these two groundbreaking and iconic shows. 

While the material is still relevant, I lament that today’s generation just can’t handle language. And that’s a shame because it really gets  in the way of the message. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Norman Lear is 96? He looks the same as he did when he launched these two groundbreaking and iconic shows. 

While the material is still relevant, I lament that today’s generation just can’t handle language. And that’s a shame because it really gets  in the way of the message. 

Even back then, the language was taboo.  But TV networks weren't afraid of it.  That language ... and shows like All in the Family, The Jeffersons, What's Happenin' and Good Times ... they appealed to RATIONAL PEOPLE and they were educational.  They creatively and, with humor, helped people understand that although cultures may be different, people can still be equally good people.

Norman Lear is a genius and his heart and brain have always been in the right place.

To your point ... it is a Goddamn shame that our society can no longer appreciate, or enjoy, this form of art as a teaching mechanism.

• Like (+1) 2

I watched about the first 15 minutes of the All in the Family episode.  I didn't realize they were going to be re-creating an actual episode/sticking to script.  I thought that was cool.  Harrelson and Tomei were good Archie/Edith, I thought.  Meathead was good and Gloria was SMOKING HOT.

The Mets game was a good one, so I just stuck it back on SNY and kept it there.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the special, but I already think it is definitely something that should only be done once in a while.

15 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Spoiler alert:. The Mets blow.

who swept the GNATS this series

9 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Was it good?

It was good if you just wanted to see the show as it was line for line with different actors.

It was funnier watching Jamie Fox over emulate George Jefferson.   His body movements toned down in The Jeffersons segment.  

I have no idea who the guy was that brought the cake was.  Almost useless.  

I watched the first 30-40 minutes.  thought it was very well done.Marissa Tomei was an awesome Edith.  Jamie Foxx was perfect as George.  Really enjoyed what i saw

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

who swept the GNATS this series

It was good if you just wanted to see the show as it was line for line with different actors.

It was funnier watching Jamie Fox over emulate George Jefferson.   His body movements toned down in The Jeffersons segment.  

I have no idea who the guy was that brought the cake was.  Almost useless.  

That was Irene's husband...can't remember his name but he was a good addition last nite.  Wish I'd stuck around for the jeffersons part, heard Marla Gibbs reprised her role

Edited by The Poojer

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

I watched the first 30-40 minutes.  thought it was very well done.Marissa Tomei was an awesome Edith.  Jamie Foxx was perfect as George.  Really enjoyed what i saw

That was Irene's husband...can't remember his name but he was a good addition last nite.  Wish I'd stuck around for the jeffersons part, heard Marla Gibbs reprised her role

yes she did ...  with every word 

I don't remember who Irene was either 

See-Yah-Later-Alligator.jpg

The All in the Family episode was terrible...had to leave 10 minutes in it was so bad.  Harrleson's acting seemed forced.  Jeffersons was tolerable, Foxx saved that episode.

How about Norman Lear at 96?  And flying over 50 combat missions during WWII?  For that sir, I tip my porkpie hat to you.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

It’s actually a 4 game series but it looks like it’s gonna be rained out

I can appreciate the effort last night but I’ll stick to the reruns 

Would it have killed Edith or Gloria to buy Arch a Mets t-shirt..they lived Queens for crying out loud.

Doug Heffernan was the man...he always sported Mets gear on his two shows.

33 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Would it have killed Edith or Gloria to buy Arch a Mets t-shirt..they lived Queens for crying out loud.

Doug Heffernan was the man...he always sported Mets gear on his two shows.

Actually I remember an episode where the meathead was talking about how he was excited about the Mets 

17 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Actually I remember an episode where the meathead was talking about how he was excited about the Mets 

11 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Be neat if you could find it.?

After a quick google search, it looks like the Mets were talked about quite a bit during All in the Family and Archie Bunker's place.  Meathead, Arch and George Jefferson were all Mets fans.  I can't access youtube at work, but you can find them if you look.  LGM!!

49 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Be neat if you could find it.?

36 minutes ago, Gugny said:

After a quick google search, it looks like the Mets were talked about quite a bit during All in the Family and Archie Bunker's place.  Meathead, Arch and George Jefferson were all Mets fans.  I can't access youtube at work, but you can find them if you look.  LGM!!

Go to 21:25.  One of the funniest episodes I remember so maybe why it stands out in my head

Edited by Another Fan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1