Do you guys think Mark Clayton should be a HOFer?

45 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No. Hall of the very Good

I wanna post exacty this.

If you let guys in like Clayton, who had a couple elite seasons playing with an MVP-caliber QB, you'd have to let in guys like Antonio Freeman, Marques Colston, Anthony Miller, etc.

12 hours ago, freddyjj said:

What does this have to do with the Bills?

Two Bills Drive

"Discussing the Buffalo Bills and the NFL 24 hours a day since 1998!"

Nope.

Mark Clayton and Mark Duper played with possibly the best Quarterback of the late 80s/early 90s in Dan Marino.  The Dolphins had very little rushing attack to speak of, and were one of the highest volume passing attacks of that era.  It was inevitable that receivers in that offense were going to put up pretty good numbers.  To be Hall of Fame worthy, it can't just be about the stats... especially in a situation like that.  Neither Clayton or Duper was consistent enough, and neither guy really struck fear in opposing defenses.  Teams feared Marino, regardless of who he was throwing to.

Contrast them with someone like Andre Reed, who had similar stats during the same time period (and most considered a borderline inductee).  The Bills were more of a balanced attack, and Reed's stats were always competing against a HOF running back Thurman Thomas.  Reed also had another HOF receiver across the field in James Lofton, and still managed to be the focus of Buffalo's passing attack.  There was always a sense that Reed was an actual threat himself, and it wasn't all Jim Kelly.  And finally, Reed had many HUGE games without Kelly in the lineup -- most notably the Greatest Comeback.

13 hours ago, freddyjj said:

What does this have to do with the Bills?

it doesn't. however this is an NFL board so there's that.

Discussing the Buffalo Bills and the NFL 24 hours a day since 1998!

as for the OP's question, no, no he doesn't belong in the hof.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

OK, OK! Ya don’t have to yell! ?

To the OPs question, he has the numbers. The Hall is overflowing with WRs though, which makes it a tougher challenge to consider older retirees at the position. Look how long it took Andre -with equal #s. Then there’s the new phase of how the game is played and more WRs will likely see 84 TDs & multiple PBs, fair or not. So my guess is no going forward.

Clayton only played 10 or 11 years in the NFL. Had he played another 3 or 4 years, with at least decent production in a few of those, I think he would have made it in by now. Reed had better total numbers (without looking, probably around the same number of TDs), but he played 15 or 16 years IIRC, but it took him several years on the ballot before being selected, and Clayton definitely would have had to wait as well, maybe longer than Reed. But the fact of the matter is Clayton didn't player longer, and his receptions and yards do not hold up. 

What I always admired about Clayton was the fact that he was a smaller guy that excelled in a league where DBs could mugg a guy much more than in todays league. He wasn't 6 feet tall, and well under 200 lbs...maybe he did have one of the top 3 QBs of all time throwing him the ball, but he certainly had to overcome his size disadvantage. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Nah. I do remember him and Duper kicking our ass every time though. I think Marino made those two look better than they really were. 

You’re not remembering very well, then. I have that problem now, but it’s still selective.. Marv Levy was the Only coach to have a winning record vs. Shula. Fergy, with a career best 5 TDs, beat Marino in Dan’s 1st ever start in an OT Thriller. Once Kelly sneaked in for the winning TD in the ‘89 Opener, the Fish became our B-word. 

In the ESPN Series Top 5 Reasons why Dan Marino only played in 1 Super Bowl, the #1 Reason; the Buffalo Bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, njbuff said:

He did a lot of his damage to the Bills.

Yes he did.  There was a point in time there when I hated the Dolphins so much and Mark Duper and Mark Clayton in particular.

Marino too!

For me, that is all gone now.  Miami is just another team.

18 hours ago, njbuff said:

He scored 84 TD's and was part of a passing game that revolutionized the passing game.

Four seasons of double digit TD's.

Five seasons over 1,000 yards.

Maybe he falls short, but his numbers are solid.

he was a Dolphin. that alone disqualifies him.

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

,,,,Marino and the "Marks Brothers" were entertaining, but neither WR merits HOF IMO............

The name alone should get them in HOF

20 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Do you think Eric Moulds should be?

He should definitely be on the Bills WOF