Death, Taxes and Peterman lighting it up....

The Bills were right to let him go, but it wouldn't surprise me if at some point it clicks for Peterman and he can overcome whatever mental issue he had in games that led to all those ill advised throws.  He will look good again in preseason, but Gruden had best hold off on naming him the starter.

58 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so my "probably dumb question" would be is how the hell does an astute coaching staff STILL let him use that play despite multiple failures on "the out"?....are we paying coaches for the "Oh Well Complacency" mode?.....guess I missed the "Pennington Memo".............

A 10 yard out is going to be an option on a large number of plays. Peterman loved that route for some VERY odd reason. It's usually a quick throw and he basically just dropped and chucked. I can't put that on the OC's. You really can't take away a particular option for a QB if you're going to play him. He should have never seen the field in the first place. Or the second place. Or the third place. That's on McD.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope. He is every bit as bad as he showed. It wasn't on the line because he doesn't hold the ball anyway. He drops back and throws what he sees pre-snap. How do I know it isn't the protection? Because that is what he did at Pitt too. It isn't on Rick Dennison or Brian Daboll either. He has always trusted his arm to make throws it just cannot make. How do I know that? Because that was on his Pitt tape too. 

All the reasons that Nathan Peterman has failed as an NFL Quarterback are all the reasons why he was never a good NFL Quarterback prospect in the first place. I doubt he makes the Raiders roster and if he does and they have to put him on the field there will be no sudden turnaround in his fortunes. All there will be is more of the same. He is the same Quarterback he has always been. 

I have a very difficult time believing he could fool the Buffalo Bills scouting staff, coaches into thinking he could get it done like an NFL QB if he was this bad in college. If this is the case, now I know why all those scouts under Whaley were fired.

I don't see why you would give Dennison, Daboll a pass as they are experienced NFL OCs and should have seen his limitations.  We all saw the results of him starting an actual game, and in being a backup. 

41 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The fact that Peterman is on a roster could’ve been Kaepernick’s lawyer’s opening statement... just sayin’.  

Sure if NFLPA did not prevent Kaep from signing same contract P5t5erman did otherwise that argument is just piss.

23 hours ago, eball said:

Ok I’ll bite. Why? Is it because he wasn’t given every opportunity - even those he didn’t necessarily deserve - to succeed in Buffalo?

I believe it must be based on Peterman’s record # of pick -6’s in critical game situations.

Carr is trembling, as his coffee table nearly collapses under the sheer weight of game film full of Peterman’s total incompetence.

Edited by The Senator

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

I have a very difficult time believing he could fool the Buffalo Bills scouting staff, coaches into thinking he could get it done like an NFL QB if he was this bad in college. If this is the case, now I know why all those scouts under Whaley were fired.

I don't see why you would give Dennison, Daboll a pass as they are experienced NFL OCs and should have seen his limitations.  We all saw the results of him starting an actual game, and in being a backup. 

I’ll say this for Gunner and Blokes, if you go back before the draft and read their thoughts on Peterman you’ll see it. Neither thought he was draftable and thought he was a horrendous prospect for all of the reasons mentioned. It turns out that the British guys were dead on. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll say this for Gunner and Blokes, if you go back before the draft and read their thoughts on Peterman you’ll see it. Neither thought he was draftable and thought he was a horrendous prospect for all of the reasons mentioned. It turns out that the British guys were dead on. 

The whole Peterman episode has been horrible to watch unfold. Nate was one of those prospects that got a visceral response from me because I never thought that he exhibited the skills required to make it to the NFL in any playing capacity. I don't like saying it because I respect anyone that dedicates themselves to a craft for the amount of time that these guys do.

Despite all of my criticism (most of which has been vindicated), I've never disliked Nate as a human being. In a perverse way, I've grown to admire him because he was willing to front up when he made mistakes. While I doubt that football is his true calling in life, I think his character will allow him to succeed when he does find that vocation.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/21/2019 at 6:43 PM, White Linen said:

I think he's limited physically.  There's times when he just can't thrown the ball hard enough and the defense closes in on him or the receiver.  

That's why he looks good when there's no real pass rush - he throws the ball with good timing when there's time for it to get there.  

Fair assesment. This could develop if he doesnt give up. Its tuff when u look at what the kid has been thru. He might not have the arm strength to be the guy yet,  but Peterman has grit. Hes proved that much.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

The whole Peterman episode has been horrible to watch unfold. Nate was one of those prospects that got a visceral response from me because I never thought that he exhibited the skills required to make it to the NFL in any playing capacity. I don't like saying it because I respect anyone that dedicates themselves to a craft for the amount of time that these guys do.

Despite all of my criticism (most of which has been vindicated), I've never disliked Nate as a human being. In a perverse way, I've grown to admire him because he was willing to front up when he made mistakes. While I doubt that football is his true calling in life, I think his character will allow him to succeed when he does find that vocation.

^^^^^^This. Exactly right. Will never forget how he shouldered all of the slings and arrows sent his way after being trotted out to take 100% of the fall each time the Bills blew up without making any excuses--while the rest of the horrendously awful supporting cast slunk away like the Colts moving out of Baltimore on a weekly basis. NP should always get credit for that, if nothing else. I'm just happy that Allen seems to have much of the same kind of straight up great character, to go along with his franchise type tools/ability on the field.  

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

^^^^^^This. Exactly right. Will never forget how he shouldered all of the slings and arrows sent his way after being trotted out to take 100% of the fall each time the Bills blew up without making any excuses--while the rest of the horrendously awful supporting cast slunk away like the Colts moving out of Baltimore on a weekly basis. NP should always get credit for that, if nothing else. I'm just happy that Allen seems to have much of the same kind of straight up great character, to go along with his franchise type tools/ability on the field.  

Seriously. The kid got grilled nationally and keeps fighting. I ***** respect that. In a society where everyone is programmed to give up and take the path of least resistence, there is honor in things like this. We must recognize that side of this. Beyond football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

Seriously. The kid got grilled nationally and keeps fighting. I ***** respect that. In a society where everyone is programmed to give up and take the path of least resistence, there is honor in things like this. We must recognize that side of this. Beyond football.

I mean, clearly I don’t care for the player. I also don’t fault him for working a job that pays him $645k despite him lacking the skills to perform that job. In a lot of ways that is what I admire most about Nate. Earn as much as you can until they cut you off. The American Dream

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

While I agree he never made excuses he did do a lot of the "being defined by God" and "accountable to Christ" stuff. Now no doubt that riles me more than it riles others for personal reasons but I always feel like it is a bit of a cop out from true accountability.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I agree he never made excuses he did do a lot of the "being defined by God" and "accountable to Christ" stuff. Now no doubt that riles me more than it riles others for personal reasons but I always feel like it is a bit of a cop out from true accountability.

I'm somewhere in the middle here.  It does bug me to the core that NP insisted on throwing to a pre-determined spot no matter what was happening in front of him.  The results were disastrous, yet he kept doing it.  Who does that?  It's not like he was misreading the defense post-snap - he wasn't even bothering to read it at all.  You can't blame players for sucking, generally - but can't you blame them for stubbornly doing something over and over again, which they have some control over, and which causes their team to lose?

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Earn as much as you can until they cut you off. The American Dream

Ironic that in some respects Peterman’s ascent to a position where he hasn’t excelled is known by us geezers as the ‘Peter Principle’.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

I'm somewhere in the middle here.  It does bug me to the core that NP insisted on throwing to a pre-determined spot no matter what was happening in front of him.  The results were disastrous, yet he kept doing it.  Who does that?  It's not like he was misreading the defense post-snap - he wasn't even bothering to read it at all.  You can't blame players for sucking, generally - but can't you blame them for stubbornly doing something over and over again, which they have some control over, and which causes their team to lose?

He has never read defences post snap. This is exactly how he played in college. Read pre-snap, determine the coverage, play accordingly. It help explain his success in pre-season when NFL teams are not trying to disguise anything - they are just lining up and playing.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He has never read defences post snap. This is exactly how he played in college. Read pre-snap, determine the coverage, play accordingly. It help explain his success in pre-season when NFL teams are not trying to disguise anything - they are just lining up and playing.

Been watching a lot of Rosen's game film from last year since he became a dolphin and he does this all the time. 

Read the coverage and hes going there no matter what. If he was coached that way then shame on the coaches but to me I was watching a stronger armed NP.

The Bills would destroy Rosen if he started all year for the fins. I absolutely see why they Drafted Murray #1

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Been watching a lot of Rosen's game film from last year since he became a dolphin and he does this all the time. 

Read the coverage and hes going there no matter what. If he was coached that way then shame on the coaches but to me I was watching a stronger armed NP.

The Bills would destroy Rosen if he started all year for the fins. I absolutely see why they Drafted Murray #1

Interesting. I confess I have never seen that on Rosen's tape but I think it is a bit of a thing with kids coming out now who are playing in certain styles of college offense.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I get where you're coming from, but have to respectfully disagree with you, also for personal reasons, and leave it at that. Now Gunner, who ya got at #25 in the draft next year (I figure Beane will trade up from #32 following our SB win)?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting. I confess I have never seen that on Rosen's tape but I think it is a bit of a thing with kids coming out now who are playing in certain styles of college offense.

I watched him do it all the time at UCLA.

• Like (+1) 2