Training Camp Likely More Abbreviated This Year

On 5/21/2019 at 1:14 PM, corta765 said:

So for confidential purposes I will not say the name of my source or place of employment but trust me when I say it is well founded. With that said in conversation today I learned that training camp may be shorter then last year and the possibility is true that the team in a few years may pack up back to Buffalo.

This falls directly in line with what I have heard that the Bills preseason schedule itself would force less training camp days given when there games are this pre season. Last year the number of practices in Rochester fell to 11 total down from 13 in 2017 with only one night practice in 2018 compared to three in 2017. Both years McD has done camp the number of practices and night practices have been far less then in years prior. Rex Ryan's last year had 16 practices including 5 night practices. While the team has said they have no plans to leave, I believe realistically that it will end in the next 5 years with the Bills just doing a 2-3 day joint practice or something like that. My one compliant since Russ Brandon has left is the fact the Bills have backed off Rochester with events the way they use to and it does make us nervous that camp will go given how it already has been condensed.

That said as a Rochester resident training camp is an incredibly exciting time for us and great primer for the regular season. Plus it is cool being out in the area and seeing the Bills players and coaching staff. If you ever are up in Rochester during camp go to Thirstys in the town of Pittsford. The players, coaches, and administration tend to go there. A few years ago Whaley and I believe Rob Ryan came in there. Usually it is a little later at night. 

is Thirstys any good ? 

On 5/21/2019 at 1:18 PM, whatdrought said:

Kinda my thoughts on this... I was never sure why teams leave billion dollar facilities to spend time at colleges... 

0b974172-787b-4e2f-9057-14b7bd406ab6_102

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

52 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

So does the younger generation of kids in Buffalo not become Bills fans because TC is in Rochester?

Let's face it younger generations become bills fans because their parents raise them that way not because where training camp is. 

Your 100% missing the point here. If you live in Buffalo there are numerous opportunities for families who can't make a game to meet players, go to Bills events, go to signing sessions, etc... If your a family in Rochester who is average FB fans that can't make the drive to Buffalo for a game and the Bills give you the opportunity to see them close that absolutely has an impact on youngsters becoming fans especially given how bad the Bills have been. Rochester actually got Browns games until the 90s Bills came and there is a generation of Browns fans here it is really weird honestly. But once the Bills got good and especially once the Bills came here for TC, the Rochester area embraced the Bills as their team big time. Not sure why this is a debatable thing considering I live here and it makes sense that a team that actively worked to come here was able to expand its fanbase because of it.

Edited by corta765
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/21/2019 at 1:21 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......we've done construction set up and tear down work at the St John Fisher camp for the last 20 years.....when McDermott came on the scene, there would be times that our workers could be nowhere near the field he was using.....OBD gladly paid for idle time while workers stood around waiting until McDermott gave them "the go"....

Why was that ?

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

is Thirstys any good ? 

It's a cool hole in the wall bar that defiently is good for a summer visit. Cash only but they have an ATM and you can get food from Hungrys next door... yes that really is the name haha

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

It's a cool hole in the wall bar that defiently is good for a summer visit. Cash only but they have an ATM and you can get food from Hungrys next door... yes that really is the name haha

Lol,

well guess im going to hungrys, could care less about drinking. Seeing the players is cool but would rather have good food.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Lol,

well guess im going to hungrys, could care less about drinking. Seeing the players is cool but would rather have good food.

For good food go to the Pittsford Pub its fantastic with a great patio

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JustWinPlease said:

Going to piss off a lot of Rochester fans, and lose the young fans who become Bills fans because of training camp in Rochester.

It's typical Bills that they would screw a large portion of their fans from the Rochester, Finger Lakes and Syracuse region.

If losing camp is all it takes to lose those fans then they weren't much of fans in the first place. Who will they root for instead? The Jets? Giants? Patriots? Browns? All teams that don't hold camp in Rochester.

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

The current generation no. But you have to remember the impact it has on kids when you can go and see players, the team, etc.. up close. If that is gone and families who don't have the money to go to games don't go to Buffalo it becomes far easier for kids to cheer a different team. Let them grow up 10-15 years and the next round of your fanbase isn't what it was.

I am not sure why people are afraid of the team being regionalized it is only for the best of the team. I never want a home game outside of the Ralph again, but if the team went to Niagara Falls, Hamilton, Cuse, Jamestown etc.. for events I think it only helps to strengthen the brand.

Or they can try winning.

On 5/21/2019 at 1:18 PM, whatdrought said:

Kinda my thoughts on this... I was never sure why teams leave billion dollar facilities to spend time at colleges... 

Its actually quite simple.  The players stay on site during camp, they stay in the dorms. That makes them readily available for impromptu meetings, provides a team environment for them to live, eat, and play as a group and not go home every night.  The have state of the art equipment and facilities there, because the Bills provide them.  And as mentioned, a lot of PR value.  Multiple reasons to be there with few to none not to.

Plus the owners wife/president has big ties to Rochester.  Do the math ;)

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Right!

Kinda wish Dunkirk would come around from time to time to keep the comedy alive. :lol:

I will say this for that short period of time he was here TBD was probably more entertaining than at any point previously in a pure chaos type way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/21/2019 at 2:04 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

While true, IMO the reason they went to SJF was to make the Rochesterians feel loved and a real part of the Bills family

Moving them back out of town will more than likely decrease the attendance #s

Well when the team sucked it was necessary.  When they are good then someone else will buy your seat.

Edited by formerlyofCtown