Training Camp Likely More Abbreviated This Year

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

So for confidential purposes I will not say the name of my source or place of employment but trust me when I say it is well founded. With that said in conversation today I learned that training camp may be shorter then last year and the possibility is true that the team in a few years may pack up back to Buffalo.

This falls directly in line with what I have heard that the Bills preseason schedule itself would force less training camp days given when there games are this pre season. Last year the number of practices in Rochester fell to 11 total down from 13 in 2017 with only one night practice in 2018 compared to three in 2017. Both years McD has done camp the number of practices and night practices have been far less then in years prior. Rex Ryan's last year had 16 practices including 5 night practices. While the team has said they have no plans to leave, I believe realistically that it will end in the next 5 years with the Bills just doing a 2-3 day joint practice or something like that. My one compliant since Russ Brandon has left is the fact the Bills have backed off Rochester with events the way they use to and it does make us nervous that camp will go given how it already has been condensed.

That said as a Rochester resident training camp is an incredibly exciting time for us and great primer for the regular season. Plus it is cool being out in the area and seeing the Bills players and coaching staff. If you ever are up in Rochester during camp go to Thirstys in the town of Pittsford. The players, coaches, and administration tend to go there. A few years ago Whaley and I believe Rob Ryan came in there. Usually it is a little later at night. 

Going to piss off a lot of Rochester fans, and lose the young fans who become Bills fans because of training camp in Rochester.

It's typical Bills that they would screw a large portion of their fans from the Rochester, Finger Lakes and Syracuse region.

12 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Going to piss off a lot of Rochester fans, and lose the young fans who become Bills fans because of training camp in Rochester.

It's typical Bills that they would screw a large portion of their fans from the Rochester, Finger Lakes and Syracuse region.

Typical Bills eh - examples please.

which ever way it goes, i am thankful that they came to SJF. loved, loved, loved having my Bills in my locality. made the (late Spring) early Summer that much better.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Whites Bay said:

I guess another aspect is that the Bills have owners that have made a decision to keep the team in Buffalo.   As I recall, one of the drivers behind the Rochester training camp was the desire to expand the fan base.  "Regionalization", I believe it was called.  Well, if the owner has deep pockets and has stated publicly that Buffalo fans should plan to enjoy the team "for generations to come", I guess it's not as urgent an issue.

Kind of along the lines of expanding the footprint to the "Home" games in Toronto.

When you think back on it, those were some pretty dark days.  Glad that crap's behind us.

But the flip side is the team needs to be regionalized for corporate sponsors and increased media attention. I would bet money that without the regionalization of the team the odds of the team staying in Buffalo during those dark years would've been much lower. The last I heard the Bills said like 30% of their season ticket holders are Rochester or Southern Tier residents, that is a large portion of fans to say who cares to.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

as a resident, it's nice, but mostly for the kids.  Every time i go to camp, i find myself wildly bored. i'm also not someone who sits in the stands or takes notes.  i bring the kids, buy them some *****, mill around and go.  it is nice for families, so it would be disappointing for them to leave.  i get the logic behind the move though.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

really Rochester fans are going to quit the Bills because training camp isn't there? 

The current generation no. But you have to remember the impact it has on kids when you can go and see players, the team, etc.. up close. If that is gone and families who don't have the money to go to games don't go to Buffalo it becomes far easier for kids to cheer a different team. Let them grow up 10-15 years and the next round of your fanbase isn't what it was.

I am not sure why people are afraid of the team being regionalized it is only for the best of the team. I never want a home game outside of the Ralph again, but if the team went to Niagara Falls, Hamilton, Cuse, Jamestown etc.. for events I think it only helps to strengthen the brand.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

The current generation no. But you have to remember the impact it has on kids when you can go and see players, the team, etc.. up close. If that is gone and families who don't have the money to go to games don't go to Buffalo it becomes far easier for kids to cheer a different team. Let them grow up 10-15 years and the next round of your fanbase isn't what it was.

I am not sure why people are afraid of the team being regionalized it is only for the best of the team. I never want a home game outside of the Ralph again, but if the team went to Niagara Falls, Hamilton, Cuse, Jamestown etc.. for events I think it only helps to strengthen the brand.

So does the younger generation of kids in Buffalo not become Bills fans because TC is in Rochester?

Let's face it younger generations become bills fans because their parents raise them that way not because where training camp is. 

11 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

So does the younger generation of kids in Buffalo not become Bills fans because TC is in Rochester?

Let's face it younger generations become bills fans because their parents raise them that way not because where training camp is. 

Buffalonians get to see the Bills about town 9 months of the year if not more.  

Rochestationas get to see the Bills about town for 1 out of the month of the year.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL   Lighten up Francis   :nana:

No one said that (at least not me) 

I said (or meant to imply) "camp" attendance 

Can we decide as a fan base to not use the “lighten up Francis” line anymore?

• Haha (+1) 1