What is "core muscle surgery"?

cage

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Yup, hernia: I had it done last Wednesday and it’s no fun. Mine was abdominal. Getting up from sitting/laying feels like you’re being stabbed. Ugh. 

Had inguinal surgery last October. Nothing devastating. Went back to work 3 days later. As long as you don't lift heavy or exert yourself for at least a month it's no big deal. Abdominal, whew! That's a different animal all together. That must suck.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Yup, hernia: I had it done last Wednesday and it’s no fun. Mine was abdominal. Getting up from sitting/laying feels like you’re being stabbed. Ugh. 

Had an abdominal hernia and went to doctor.  He told me I needed to go to hospital right away for I was hours from having my appendix burst.  Six hours later I am still on gurney waiting for surgery.  Doctor told me modern procedure is to take appendix out of umbilical navel and they would fix hernia at same time.  Hurt like hell like TroutDog said.

Got letter a few months later that the doctor who did surgery was retiring and if I needed any records request them.

Less than a year later I have umbilical hernia again and told that due to previous surgery I should have mesh inserted and that would add a week to recovery time. I agree.  While recovering from surgery I get call from work telling me they need to have discussion with me and I told them per disability rules I cannot do ANYTHING work related while out.  I already heard job that Verizon was moving jobs to India and guessed correctly they were going to lay me off while on short term disability.  I went to work and given two week notice with encouragement to use sick / vacation time.  I told them I'll just cash it out after I am let go and it will extend time before I need to go on unemployment.  They were unhappy with that but nothing they could do.  Last week I was there I was only one on support other than two guys kept to train guys in India.  Surgery from hernia still feels weird over four years later.

5 hours ago, TigerJ said:

A packectomy - now Beasley and Morse only have a five pack?

5 hours ago, nucci said:

lower body injury?

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Gender re-assignment?

Oooooooh.....  a package-ectomy 

its a core muscle alright... for some

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Had an abdominal hernia and went to doctor.  He told me I needed to go to hospital right away for I was hours from having my appendix burst.  Six hours later I am still on gurney waiting for surgery.  Doctor told me modern procedure is to take appendix out of umbilical navel and they would fix hernia at same time.  Hurt like hell like TroutDog said.

Got letter a few months later that the doctor who did surgery was retiring and if I needed any records request them.

Less than a year later I have umbilical hernia again and told that due to previous surgery I should have mesh inserted and that would add a week to recovery time. I agree.  While recovering from surgery I get call from work telling me they need to have discussion with me and I told them per disability rules I cannot do ANYTHING work related while out.  I already heard job that Verizon was moving jobs to India and guessed correctly they were going to lay me off while on short term disability.  I went to work and given two week notice with encouragement to use sick / vacation time.  I told them I'll just cash it out after I am let go and it will extend time before I need to go on unemployment.  They were unhappy with that but nothing they could do.  Last week I was there I was only one on support other than two guys kept to train guys in India.  Surgery from hernia still feels weird over four years later.

Tell the guys in India that you were perfectly normal before working there.

Not liking this.  To me, not medical guy to be sure, but it seems to me a 300 pound + athlete who squats in a low position and is hammered 30 times a game by another 300 pound guy is likely to have further issues following the procedure. As for Cole, stopping, starting and cutting at full speed 30 times a game will also take it's toll.  So three of our shiny new acquisitions are not ready yet, one won't be for a while. Maybe it's no big deal, but it's feeling Billsy right now to me. Call it a after effect of following the team for 55 years.

18 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Not liking this.  To me, not medical guy to be sure, but it seems to me a 300 pound + athlete who squats in a low position and is hammered 30 times a game by another 300 pound guy is likely to have further issues following the procedure. As for Cole, stopping, starting and cutting at full speed 30 times a game will also take it's toll.  So three of our shiny new acquisitions are not ready yet, one won't be for a while. Maybe it's no big deal, but it's feeling Billsy right now to me. Call it a after effect of following the team for 55 years.

Actually, this type of surgery does not make any player more likely to have further issues regardless of position. It actually helps with groin injuries that may nag. Le’Veon Bell had it a couple years ago. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actually, this type of surgery does not make any player more likely to have further issues regardless of position. It actually helps with groin injuries that may nag. Le’Veon Bell had it a couple years ago. 

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2325967117699590

"Using internet-based injury reports, Harris and colleagues identified NFL players who underwent “sports hernia” surgery between January 1996 and August 2015 and compared demographic and performance data from these players to a control group.

Of the 56 NFL players identified, 53 of them were able to return to play (95% return to sport rate) with no significant difference in performance score pre and post-surgery.

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2325967117699590

"Using internet-based injury reports, Harris and colleagues identified NFL players who underwent “sports hernia” surgery between January 1996 and August 2015 and compared demographic and performance data from these players to a control group.

Of the 56 NFL players identified, 53 of them were able to return to play (95% return to sport rate) with no significant difference in performance score pre and post-surgery.

It’s a surgery that is becoming more common among pro athletes - nba, mlb, nhl too. It really helps with explosiveness for anyone who deals with groin pain. The gold standard surgeon on this is dr William Meyers (who did both Morse and Beasley) and he did 3 of the top 6 US sprinters because they rely on explosiveness.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/21/2019 at 2:32 PM, TroutDog said:

Sorry to hear this. I think that yours was probably different though - even though core muscle surgery is commonly referred to as “sports hernia” it’s not actually a hernia. It’s groin pain or a deep abdominal muscle/ adductor (anything in the core region) that someone has tried to rehab but has determined surgery is the way to go (most regular people probably wouldn’t “need” surgery but professional athletes have a different bar to cross on performance and the type of pain they can tolerate while needing to perform At that high level.) Theoretically this surgery will make them less susceptible to groin issues if they were experiencing them before because even when treated with rest and rehab they can linger. Groin issues are all about how much pain you can play through and can obviously limit explosiveness. This surgery corrects that problem. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actually, this type of surgery does not make any player more likely to have further issues regardless of position. It actually helps with groin injuries that may nag. Le’Veon Bell had it a couple years ago

Yeah and he sat out all of last season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: