Cricket World Cup 2019

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've read that some Indian business folks plan on launching a pro Cricket circuit in the USA, in markets with large South Asian populations. Think it can work?

i know one who is trying to get it to go in Canada, there just isn't the interest up here, the claims made for the push are horribly hyped....

we had a small tournament up here last year, Oz's captain on suspension for cheating showed up, i guess you follow the $$

23 minutes ago, B-Man said:

My favorite team is out of it,

so I'm just waiting for Cricket Draft Special.....................?

Canada is out, I think it showed up once, didn't last more than 10 overs in any one-day....

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've read that some Indian business folks plan on launching a pro Cricket circuit in the USA, in markets with large South Asian populations. Think it can work?

Tough to support a pro league here in the US unless the money is there to maybe support bringing in second tier players from traditional cricket playing nations. The audience is likely small also because the fans follow teams and players they supported before coming to the US. I think money will be better spent providing mainstream options to watch the games played internationally. Leagues such as IPL in India have a huge following elsewhere in the world. While watching options are far better now than, say, 10 years back, there is still scope for larger organizations like espn to expand coverage. 

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

not really, i'll tape and watch a lot of it at my leisure

Which is what I plan to do as well as games will start at 10 am Eastern time and  last 8-9 hours which are prime working hours country-wide. 

It should be the highest run scoring World Cup in Cricket history.

300 seems to be the minimum expectation when batting first these days. 

England should do well on home soil.

India will be strong.

Australia will bounce back and New Zealand will surprise.

I went to watch England v Pakistan on Sunday. Pakistan aren't good enough in the field and make it too easy for teams to score runs against them. 

1 hour ago, BritBill said:

It should be the highest run scoring World Cup in Cricket history.

300 seems to be the minimum expectation when batting first these days. . 

The shorter formats influence the longer ones. Just as the one-day version caused more runs to be scored in the 5-day games, so too did the T20 influence this one. 

Did to time commitment and time zones, I don't follow cricket on a regular basis. Just the world cup. Makes it exciting for me as I have little feel for the favorites and the "dogs". Like the Patriots***, Australia is somehow always a contender. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

The shorter formats influence the longer ones. Just as the one-day version caused more runs to be scored in the 5-day games, so too did the T20 influence this one. 

For sure. Which has increased the call for Test matches to be reduced to 4 days. The game moves so much quicker these days.

The only way to stop a huge score these  days seems to be to take early wickets. If teams get to 100 after about 20 overs but with no or 1 wicket down you're looking at 350 minimum unless the pitch plays up. 

Fielding and in particular run outs become so important.  

That cottaging bloke @BringBackFergy and his "Sporting" (I use that term very loosley) Pakistani team think they actually have a chance! Sahibzada Farhan is the only bowler on the team with a decent half dig. Just wait until Peter Handscomb comes in and bowls for quarter matches! Even @Gugny and his New Zealand team have a better chance of beating them, with only two wicks even! 

Under the Southern Cross I Stand
A sprig of wattle in my hand,
A native of my native land,
Australia you little beauty.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is now in full swing and so far, we have learned .... that teams can be hot or cold depending on the day. 

England started off well by beating South Africa, then proceeded to lose to Pakistan who were slapped around by West Indies in the first game

Sri Lanka has started shakily by first losing handily to New Zealand and sweating before beating a previously bottom runger Afghanistan

Bangladesh added to South Africa's woes by beating them via surprisingly good batting and tight bowling under pressure. Bangladesh could well be the surprise (positive) of the tournament. 

In a few hours, India play South Africa in what amounts to a must-win game for SA as they have started with 2 losses. They get back ace batsman Amla but lost seamer Steyn. They needed all the bowling they can muster against a powerful Indian batting line-up. 

Pre-tournament favorites were: England, India, Australia (cos they are the Patriots of cricket) and NZ as a dark horse. So far, none has emerged as clear favorite. 

Stay tuned

It's good to see if you don't perform well in one of the three aspects you get punished and lose. 

England were awful in the field versus Pakistan and rightfully paid the price. 

• 5 weeks later...

Good time to bump this thread.

The semi final opponents are set though the exact matchups will be decided by this weekend. The four teams through are Australia, India, England (only seed to be set at #3).and New Zealand. All teams have had their highs and lows though as the tournament progressed, NZ and India appeared to get weak and England heated up. The NE Pats** of cricket, Australia, look to be the most calm and composed and IMO the tournament favs. 

Too bad the semis will be played on weekdays thus clashing with US work hours. My picks , including projected seeds:

- Aus over NZ

- England over India

Finals Aus over England 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Good time to bump this thread.

The semi final opponents are set though the exact matchups will be decided by this weekend. The four teams through are Australia, India, England (only seed to be set at #3).and New Zealand. All teams have had their highs and lows though as the tournament progressed, NZ and India appeared to get weak and England heated up. The NE Pats** of cricket, Australia, look to be the most calm and composed and IMO the tournament favs. 

Too bad the semis will be played on weekdays thus clashing with US work hours. My picks , including projected seeds:

- Aus over NZ

- England over India

Finals Aus over England 

England finally realised betting first when winning the toss is the way to go in the tournament. The pitches seem to get slower and lower as the game goes on.

Whoever wins the toss in the England v India game will win the match.

I think Australia will bee too strong for a rapidly declining New Zealand team whoever who bats first. 

Games dependant on the last couple of results as you mentioned. 

• Like (+1) 1