Eric Wood is the new Bills color analyst - will replace Kelso

Hopefully Wood will not be like  Dierdorf.  The dude commented about the guys in the trenches as if there were no other players on the field.  Awful.

16 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Really necessary?  Not funny if meant to be.

That's funny. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is the first time I plan on listening to the radio broadcast while I watch. Does anyone know if there is a delay if you do it this way? 

Def delay it’s annoying. Adjust your time gap with DVR you’ll be ?.

21 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I’m bummed he’s leaving. But happy E. Wood is here.

wonder if he chose to leave or what? 

Not sure I heard it right, but I think John Murphy talked about Kelso having interests in NASCAR that he was going to give more focus.  I have no idea in what capacity that would be.  Kelso is not the most charismatic of color analysts, but he's very smart and insightful about what's happening on the field.  I think Eric Wood is more personable.  We'll see how insightful he is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I happen to enjoy Murph, when I have to listen on the radio I like the announcers to be lively and in to it. Maybe im in the minority. But Wood seems very level headed and calm/cool so it could be a good balance

20 hours ago, dpberr said:

Substance over style argument here and they are appealing to their demographics.  

Kelso/Tasker were A+ on the substance but ok on the style.  

Tasker is awful on substance, too. He knows football but he very often says, "Watch this" and you watch and it is that.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

There isn’t a more hackneyed and coopted word in the English language today, but I agree with you regarding your use of it to describe Kelso.

It is overused, but loved hearing him get into the game or an issue.  Opposite of Murphy who is stone cold boring.

I don't know if Murph broke this bad habit, and unless I'm in the car during a game(which is rare), I don't listen...but if the Bills had the ball in their opponents territory(say at the 45), and make a play to the 30, Murph would say...and there's a pass completion UP to the 30.  

No dumbass...that would be a pass completion DOWN to the 30.

Really annoying and he used to do it repeatedly.

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I don't know if Murph broke this bad habit, and unless I'm in the car during a game(which is rare), I don't listen...but if the Bills had the ball in their opponents territory(say at the 45), and make a play to the 30, Murph would say...and there's a pass completion UP to the 30.  

No dumbass...that would be a pass completion DOWN to the 30.

Really annoying and he used to do it repeatedly.

marching up the field until the end zone...

Just now, WhickedWilliams said:

marching up the field until the end zone...

Marching up to the opponents 35 yard line is another way of saying the same thing.

Semantics semantics semantics 

On 5/22/2019 at 9:23 AM, WhickedWilliams said:

Def delay it’s annoying. Adjust your time gap with DVR you’ll be ?.

kinda depends on the radio stream.  If your using Sirius Atnenna usually find sunday ticket feed is 9 seconds ahead of radio. I pause the kickoff at point the kicker is about to hit ball and listen for the pop and start play. usually works like a champ.  I have found any other stream internet based feeds will require some resynching after commercials. Usually on Sirius Internet radio the feed is 1:30 behind but once adjusted your good.   Wish the device like my stereo would be able to detect this and sync it for me ?

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2019 at 12:38 PM, Rochesterfan said:

Kelso was a great guy - very intelligent and seemed to really do an excellent job with film study and knowledge.

Not that I listen that often, but I always thought Kelso was horrible.   

I got the sense that, as you say, he really knew his stuff.   He understood the plays, especially the pass routes and coverages, and he understood the key elements of plays.  His problem, so far as I was concerned, was that he couldn't distill what he knew into a couple of short simple sentences.   He recited everything that happened - "this guy went here, then that guy went there, so the third guy could curl under while the QB was pumpfaking, and then the tackle slipped out but missed the block on the linebacker so the QB had to dump the ball off to McCoy for a two-yard gain."  

He simply didn't have professional level broadcasting skills. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Not that I listen that often, but I always thought Kelso was horrible.   

I got the sense that, as you say, he really knew his stuff.   He understood the plays, especially the pass routes and coverages, and he understood the key elements of plays.  His problem, so far as I was concerned, was that he couldn't distill what he knew into a couple of short simple sentences.   He recited everything that happened - "this guy went here, then that guy went there, so the third guy could curl under while the QB was pumpfaking, and then the tackle slipped out but missed the block on the linebacker so the QB had to dump the ball off to McCoy for a two-yard gain."  

He simply didn't have professional level broadcasting skills. 

ummm, that IS what a color guy should do during a radio broadcast. Bring to the audience a visual of what is going on.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/22/2019 at 8:52 AM, LabattBlue said:

Unfortunately, short of committing a crime, and getting fired because of it, we are stuck with Murphy until he decides to retire.  

According to wiki, Murphy is 64. 

wow, I would have thought early 50s.  I guess he just has a young face