Eric Wood is the new Bills color analyst - will replace Kelso

Agree with the "will miss Kelso" sentiment, I liked him and loved hearing stories about the glory days. His frothing at the mouth last year, exhorting the Bills to clear the benches was legendary. But I would also like an offensive player's take; will be interesting to hear Wood's (possibly) critique/analyze our current line and QB's progression.

Wood is a "modern" player and will (hopefully) share some insight about the current regime considering he was at ground zero for "PROCESS: YEAR ONE". And Beane/McDermott obviously liked him enough to give him an extension almost immediately, bizarre non-retirement retirement press conference notwithstanding.

Edited by technobot

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I’m bummed he’s leaving. But happy E. Wood is here.

wonder if he chose to leave or what? 

they never touched on that...at least so far. i loved kelso . he was a wealth of knowledge in between plays. i hope eric can live up to that. pretty big shoes to fill imo.

my biggest question is how animated he will be....or boring, dry and obvious.  hope all goes well because when we get those awful generic national guys, i'd rather listen with the telly turned down.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is the first time I plan on listening to the radio broadcast while I watch. Does anyone know if there is a delay if you do it this way? 

It depends on where you are & what broadcast you're watching.  If you're in Buffalo, WGR tries to synch up with the TV broadcast.  The last time I brought a radio to the stadium, WWKB had the live call that you can listen to which is ahead of the TV broadcast.  

When I'm home in Albany the TV is ahead of the Bills internet broadcast.  We don't have a radio station anymore in Albany.  The last time we did, the over the air broadcast was ahead of the TV, especially when watching a satellite feed at a bar.  I used to go to sportsbars & know the play before it was on TV by listening to the radio.  Nowadays I don't mix the TV & radio audios.  At home I just listen to the TV & I now go to OTB where I get my own booth with a TV so I just listen to the TV broadcast.  

55 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It depends on where you are & what broadcast you're watching.  If you're in Buffalo, WGR tries to synch up with the TV broadcast. 

I didn’t know that.  Is that a recent thing?  I’ll have to try it out this fall.  Some of the CBS (and Fox) crews are pretty bad.

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Was just coming to post this.

Pretty cool! 

Very happy E. Wood is back in the Bills organization! 

Plus We can fully put to bed that there were any hard feeling over his whole retirement press conference debacle.

Is this really still a thing??

1 hour ago, technobot said:

Agree with the "will miss Kelso" sentiment, I liked him and loved hearing stories about the glory days. His frothing at the mouth last year, exhorting the Bills to clear the benches was legendary. But I would also like an offensive player's take; will be interesting to hear Woods (possibly) critique/analyze our current line and QB's progression.

Woods is a "modern" player and will (hopefully) share some insight about the current regime considering he was at ground zero for "PROCESS: YEAR ONE". And Beane/McDermott obviously liked him enough to give him an extension almost immediately, bizarre non-retirement retirement press conference notwithstanding.

‘Woods’?!  Who the **** is ‘Woods’?!  Do you not read?  Can you not read?

• Haha (+1) 2

I really enjoyed listening to Kelso's take on things.  I also liked the fact that he stayed in WNY after playing (at least I think so - didn't he coach a HS team somewhere in WNY?).  I always appreciate the guys who stay after they play for the Bills.  Will be interesting to see how Woods meshes with Murphy.  

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Did not like Kelso.  I felt like that, If you never played organized football, he used terms that made it hard to understand.  Tasker should be dragged behind a car by a chain. Murph should take some medicine for that chronic bronchitis.     Can't wait for Fitz to retire.  He will be legendary in the booth.

Really necessary?  Not funny if meant to be.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is the first time I plan on listening to the radio broadcast while I watch. Does anyone know if there is a delay if you do it this way? 

I suppose it might depend on your TV/radio, etc. but in the past when there's an analyst team I don't care for, I've tried to mute the TV and turn on WGR 550. The unfortunate thing is that WGR's transmission is faster than the TV, sometimes by a whole play. That was my experience though, give it a whirl yourself and see what happens.

2 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

I’ve tried this before, didn’t work out, I’m in NYC so many times bars will have the game but no sound, tried wearing headphones but the radio broadcast was a solid 1 minute behind. Could be different if you’re in the buffalo area?

WGR broadcasts like a solid 5 minutes behind real time.  You can start to record the game on TV, pause it, and then start playing again when John Murphy comments on the kickoff or something like that to try and synch the 2 broadcasts.

I have tried that many times and it doesn't work either...I found myself slipping in and out of synch all the time and it was just a pain in the ass.

3 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

they never touched on that...at least so far. i loved kelso . he was a wealth of knowledge in between plays. i hope eric can live up to that. pretty big shoes to fill imo.

my biggest question is how animated he will be....or boring, dry and obvious.  hope all goes well because when we get those awful generic national guys, i'd rather listen with the telly turned down.

I guess he is leaving to focus on his nascar team or something like that

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is this really still a thing??

I don’t think so. It was, but I thought he kind of set the record straight in that article on the Athletic a while back. I just meant that this should officially put it to bed.