Kellen Winslow Jr...Accused of Raping 2 Women, one of which was homeless

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

There comes a time when you can't blame anything besides yourself for your actions. Steroids, CTE, alcohol, whatever. His problems are his own. I mean, how many pro sports guys have those same obstacles? Are they going around raping old women? Those things are just an excuse.

And that goes for everyone else. Blaming alcohol is stupid. Blaming drugs is stupid. Nothing is to blame. People have to take responsibility for their own actions.

But yeah, it's easier to blame drugs or CTE and believe that you are not the one to blame.

I don’t think I ever said he isn’t responsible for his actions 

they are despicable if true

I said he obviously has issues and I would rather pray for him than belittle him at this moment

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t think I ever said he isn’t responsible for his actions 

they are despicable if true

I said he obviously has issues and I would rather pray for him than belittle him at this moment

There's a difference between understanding that we may not understand and absolving someone of guilt/accountability. Nobody in their right mind would claim justice shouldn't be served. At the same time, there must be factors that go into such bizarre behavior that we can't fully understand. Probably better off NOT understanding. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/21/2019 at 11:11 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

https://apnews.com/8cfbcfd44bc34a05b5518d8cdaf55661

Didn't see this posted.

Trial started yesterday

WTF? Just when I thought he couldn't fall any further

Wow....

I don't like to make excuses, but this is so "out there" that one has to wonder if he's "right in the haid".  I believe socially inappropriate behavior and inability to control impulses are one symptom dementias can take.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, MJS said:

There comes a time when you can't blame anything besides yourself for your actions. Steroids, CTE, alcohol, whatever. His problems are his own. I mean, how many pro sports guys have those same obstacles? Are they going around raping old women? Those things are just an excuse.

And that goes for everyone else. Blaming alcohol is stupid. Blaming drugs is stupid. Nothing is to blame. People have to take responsibility for their own actions.

But yeah, it's easier to blame drugs or CTE and believe that you are not the one to blame.

On the one hand, I have a lot of sympathy for your point of view.

On the other hand, having myself to deal with two family members who have diagnosed neuropsychological deficits - if the ability to control himself is just gone, erased by neurological damage, it's kind of a slippery slope.  He may not be able to control aspects of his own actions. 

It gets difficult to parse.  On the one hand, one can probably take responsibility for being aware that one has a deficit, and avoiding situations which involve that deficit.

On the other hand, if the ability to think clearly and acknowledge deficits is gone...

Like I said, in general I'm with you, but disease processes that affect thinking and decision making do create a fuzzy line. 

If you don't get what I'm saying, then likely you have never have a family member with a head injury or psychiatric disorder, or an elder going into dementia and I hope you don't.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On the one hand, I have a lot of sympathy for your point of view.

On the other hand, having myself to deal with two family members who have diagnosed neuropsychological deficits - if the ability to control himself is just gone, erased by neurological damage, it's kind of a slippery slope.  He may not be able to control aspects of his own actions. 

It gets difficult to parse.  On the one hand, one can probably take responsibility for being aware that one has a deficit, and avoiding situations which involve that deficit.

On the other hand, if the ability to think clearly and acknowledge deficits is gone...

Like I said, in general I'm with you, but disease processes that affect thinking and decision making do create a fuzzy line. 

If you don't get what I'm saying, then likely you have never have a family member with a head injury or psychiatric disorder, or an elder going into dementia and I hope you don't.

I agree completely. But the comment I quoted talked about alcohol, drugs, or CTE potentially being the culprits. If somebody has a mental handicap, that's a completely different issue. I realize CTE is a mental issue as well, but you don't see that linked to raping elderly women often.

He actually was going to the gym I go to.  Where he was accused of pulling it out in front of some old lady.  Like old as F type old lady.  

Saw him a few times while I was there.  Never actually saw him lift a weight but he was still in good shape though.  Always ran on the elliptical. 

When I saw him, knowing he was accused of raping two homeless women, I was like GTFO here.  

Weird seeing him in person.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/21/2019 at 2:48 PM, BuffaloBill said:

He was paid a lot of money to play a game.  I guess that makes things difficult.

...if any Winslow should have CTE, it is Kellen Sr with the beating he took over the years...he was an absolute beast in the Jan, 2, 1982 OT playoff victory vs Miami, 41-38....on the verge of collapse.....game was dubbed "The Epic in Miami" and "The Game Nobody Should Have Lost".....and this punk sullied the Winslow name......SMH....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

I agree completely. But the comment I quoted talked about alcohol, drugs, or CTE potentially being the culprits. If somebody has a mental handicap, that's a completely different issue. I realize CTE is a mental issue as well, but you don't see that linked to raping elderly women often.

Addiction is a slippery slope as well imo. Addictions can take over people’s lives, just saying. 

• 3 weeks later...

....bye-bye.......

Ex-Pro Bowler Kellen Winslow Jr. convicted of raping homeless woman, 58; faces up to life in prison

Former first-round NFL draft pick Kellen Winslow Jr. was convicted Monday of raping a 58-year-old homeless woman last year north of San Diego, in an attack that could send him to prison for the rest of his life.

A jury returned the verdict Monday in San Diego Superior Court in Vista but was continuing to deliberate on two more counts of rape involving a hitchhiker and an unconscious teenage girl. Winslow faces up to life in prison if convicted on all counts.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kellen-winslow-jr-convicted-rape-homeless-woman-life-prison

On 5/22/2019 at 4:38 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if any Winslow should have CTE, it is Kellen Sr with the beating he took over the years...he was an absolute beast in the Jan, 2, 1982 OT playoff victory vs Miami, 41-38....on the verge of collapse.....game was dubbed "The Epic in Miami" and "The Game Nobody Should Have Lost".....and this punk sullied the Winslow name......SMH....

That was one of the best games I have ever watched.  Winslow was unreal that night.  I was only 9 years old at the time but remember that game like it was yesterday.  

• Like (+1) 1