Breaking: Kroft breaks foot

9 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Another Star myth is he constantly requires double teams. Shaq Mason from NE pretty much handles him one on one with ease all day. Im sure Mason isnt the only one as well. Id honestly say at least half the teams in the league feel more than comfortable putting just one guy on him.

His sheer mass dictates that two men will often be engaged. Not a classic double team per se. I'm pretty sure opposing teams are not intentionally dedicating two blockers to a guy who never makes plays. And yes, Belichick basically ensured that Star would be singled up by Mason. One of the many reasons we got steamrolled in that game. 

7 hours ago, WideNine said:

Just a guess, but perhaps some teams that ran well on us like NE figured they could handle Star with a single blocker which allowed them to do more pulling and ISO blocks to spring their RBs. 

Exactly.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Point out where it says in this article that the Bills are in cap hell.  Or mention anything close to it.

I'm trying to point out that you are using bad info. 1. Buddy Nix was not GM in 2009, Brandon was. Nix was promoted at the end of the season but wasn't signing players and being GM until 2010. 2. Bills did not have 98 million cap space, they had ~100 spent. 3. 2010 was the uncapped year. I don't know what they had over or under because there wasn't a cap. If I had to guess I'd say Nix had about the same amount of cap space as Beane. 4. Beane created some of his cap problems by releasing and or trading players. He did not inherit the worst cap in Bills history like you boys claim.

5. Saying Beane was in cap hell is a lie.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

I'm trying to point out that you are using bad info. 1. Buddy Nix was not GM in 2009, Brandon was. Nix was promoted at the end of the season but wasn't signing players and being GM until 2010. 2. Bills did not have 98 million cap space, they had ~100 spent. 3. 2010 was the uncapped year. I don't know what they had over or under because there wasn't a cap. If I had to guess I'd say Nix had about the same amount of cap space as Beane. 4. Beane created some of his cap problems by releasing and or trading players. He did not inherit the worst cap in Bills history like you boys claim.

LOL...you’re the one who made the claim that every single GM inherited a cap hell.

So your argument is “If I had to guess?l

Yeah the moves he made caused us to to be deeper in cap hell but he was trying to build his team.

Im actually fascinated how you think $50 million in dead cap isn’t a big deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/02/bills-have-a-staggering-amount-of-dead-money-under-the-cap/

Edited by Royale with Cheese

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL...you’re the one who made the claim that every single GM inherited a cap hell.

So your argument is “If I had to guess?l

Yeah the moves he made caused us to to be deeper in cap hell but he was trying to build his team.

Im actually fascinated how you think $50 million in dead cap isn’t a big deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/02/bills-have-a-staggering-amount-of-dead-money-under-the-cap/

Beane created the dead cap. Beane traded Marcell. Beane traded Tyrod. Beane traded Cordy Glenn. Beane cut Kelvin Benjamin. How much in dead cap is that? It's all self imposed. And honestly I agree with all of it. But to pretend it's somehow not his fault or different then any GM is a lie.

And it's not a guess. Every GM had to release players, sign players and build their team. No one came into a QB or team full of stars, except John Butler.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

He made the conscious decision to field a real, honest to goodness NFL team as quickly as possible. So, in that sense he created his cap he’ll. The alternative would be to live with the bad players and contracts he inherited and go into a 5 year rebuild.

While you aren’t wrong, you’re wrong.

36 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Beane created the dead cap. Beane traded Marcell. Beane traded Tyrod. Beane traded Cordy Glenn. Beane cut Kelvin Benjamin. How much in dead cap is that? It's all self imposed. And honestly I agree with all of it. But to pretend it's somehow not his fault or different then any GM is a lie.

And it's not a guess. Every GM had to release players, sign players and build their team. No one came into a QB or team full of stars, except John Butler.

Man...you are all over the place.

I never said or pretended Beane didn’t have anything to do with it.  I specifically stated Beane was trying to build his own team.  Where was the lying LOL?  

How much dead cap was that?  $50 million...we were in the hole $50 million.  I can’t understand how you think that’s not significant.

You did not say every GM had to release players, you said every GM has inherited cap hell....you made that firm statement.  Where did you get lost in this conversation LOL?

54 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Man...you are all over the place.

I never said or pretended Beane didn’t have anything to do with it.  I specifically stated Beane was trying to build his own team.  Where was the lying LOL?  

How much dead cap was that?  $50 million...we were in the hole $50 million.  I can’t understand how you think that’s not significant.

You did not say every GM had to release players, you said every GM has inherited cap hell....you made that firm statement.  Where did you get lost in this conversation LOL?

1. I said 'some kind of cap hell'. I stand by that because it's true. 2. Who said it wasn't significant? I said Beane himself is responsible for creating it. It wasn't what he walked into.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

He made the conscious decision to field a real, honest to goodness NFL team as quickly as possible. So, in that sense he created his cap he’ll. The alternative would be to live with the bad players and contracts he inherited and go into a 5 year rebuild.

Exactly my point. Thank you.

16 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

1. I said 'some kind of cap hell'. I stand by that because it's true. 2. Who said it wasn't significant? I said Beane himself is responsible for creating it. It wasn't what he walked into.

LOL...you specifically said "Beane in cap hell is a lie".  You said it 12 hours ago.  Just look above.  

You also agree that it was the right decisions and you agree with them.  It was the plan to get rid of bad contracts and build his own team...now we are in a good cap situation this year and next.  If someone like Marcel was still playing at a $100 million contract level, we wouldn't have had to bite the bullet and eat that cap.  That's not Beane's fault.  

I can't think of another situation/season where roughly 35% of our total cap space was in dead money.

Because it's true?  So you're that guy that won't prove it but will call it the truth.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

19 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

Actually it wasn't my argument. It was my defense of his argument. Also context depends on the viewpoint. I see show me the baby, not it could have been or we did this or understand we couldn't. It is or it ain't. So far in free agency it ain't. Now that's my argument.

What Bills team in the last 20 years had a QB? What GM came in with a winning QB? These are excuses. Can Beane get it done? So far in free agency I'd say he hasn't.

They all made QB moves - Bledsoe, Losman, Edwards, Fitz extension, EJ, Tyrod extension....

It always comes back to that anyway.  Beane made the moves necessary to get Allen.  If Allen works out - most of the rest won't matter as much.  If not - he's going to have to build something special to get another chance to draft a QB.

14 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

His sheer mass dictates that two men will often be engaged. Not a classic double team per se. I'm pretty sure opposing teams are not intentionally dedicating two blockers to a guy who never makes plays. And yes, Belichick basically ensured that Star would be singled up by Mason. One of the many reasons we got steamrolled in that game. 

Exactly.

You should check the article @thebandit27 linked.  The eye popping part to me was that Pats averaged 3 ypc in the middle and 10 to the left outside and 6 to the right outside, iirc.  Also the article clearly showed Star being doubled, chipped, or trapped (Belicheck game planned for star in the middle of the field, rather than let just let Mason take him 1v1).  Star doesnt seem to be the reason we got ran over in that game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL...you specifically said "Beane in cap hell is a lie".  You said it 12 hours ago.  Just look above.  

You also agree that it was the right decisions and you agree with them.  It was the plan to get rid of bad contracts and build his own team...now we are in a good cap situation this year and next.  If someone like Marcel was still playing at a $100 million contract level, we wouldn't have had to bite the bullet and eat that cap.  That's not Beane's fault.  

I can't think of another situation/season where roughly 35% of our total cap space was in dead money.

Because it's true?  So you're that guy that won't prove it but will call it the truth.  

I did say it's a lie. Beane created his own cap problems. He was not hired in cap hell. It's his own creation. There is no getting around that. That's why you keep trying to change the subject. I don't care why he did what he did. The fact is he did it. It was his choice. Anything but that is excuses.

59 minutes ago, dneveu said:

They all made QB moves - Bledsoe, Losman, Edwards, Fitz extension, EJ, Tyrod extension....

It always comes back to that anyway.  Beane made the moves necessary to get Allen.  If Allen works out - most of the rest won't matter as much.  If not - he's going to have to build something special to get another chance to draft a QB.

Exactly. Beane made the move. It's his responsibility. He didn't inherit it. He's not a victim. Everything that has happened if his fault or success.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I did say it's a lie. Beane created his own cap problems. He was not hired in cap hell. It's his own creation. There is no getting around that. That's why you keep trying to change the subject. I don't care why he did what he did. The fact is he did it. It was his choice. Anything but that is excuses.

Exactly. Beane made the move. It's his responsibility. He didn't inherit it. He's not a victim. Everything that has happened if his fault or success.

I'll agree to a point.  There is no way you can argue we were in a good cap situation in 2017.  Clays deal at 9 mil, cordy glenn getting paid a ton to play half a year.  Not good deals.  Dareus may have had a top 5 bad contract in the NFL in 2017.  None of those guys are all-pros, or even pro-bowlers - and they're like 3 of the top 6-7 paid players on your team.  

He inherited a mediocre team of overpaid players.  He made moves to get the team in a healthier cap situation so that they can comfortably decide who to extend, and have some foresight into how much and when to give out those contracts.  Could we have signed gilmore in 2017?  Probably - but then its unlikely that you find hyde and poyer.  We also had the Tyrod contract looming large at the time.  Another little doug whaley gift. 

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

I haven't changed the subject once.  I have specifically been talking about this specific topic in every reply.  I don't understand where you're coming from at all.  But I've communicated with you before....it's par for the course actually.

He was hired to fix the mess that was made by the previous regime.  You ever hear of the philosophy "you can't make an omelette without breaking a couple of eggs".

"I don't care why he did it" but you did say you agree with him.  I'm not even sure what you're arguing anymore.  

6 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

...damn good assessment bud.......some players were nowhere worth what they were being paid as far as their performance return.....so either live with the situation, letting "mediocrity and lethargy breed contempt" or painfully remove the tumors........and now the "cap is healed" post "tumor(s) surgery".......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...damn good assessment bud.......some players were nowhere worth what they were being paid as far as their performance return.....so either live with the situation, letting "mediocrity and lethargy breed contempt" or painfully remove the tumors........and now the "cap is healed" post "tumor(s) surgery".......

Compare that to Whaley’s one hit wonder attempts. 

7 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Compare that to Whaley’s one hit wonder attempts. 

....Whaley is non-sequitur "water over the dam" and should be excluded from the comparison because there is none IMO.....he was NOT a bonafide GM wielding the same horsepower as McBeane does  nor was his scout staff even remotely close to the exec level component McBeane has courtesy of Pegula's check book....Whaley inherited "complacent lifers" and he was more of a "personnel gopher", a/k/a "go find us this guy", etc......the days of "F Troop" have been replaced by the "A Team" and McBeane made the tough decisions he had to.....sure glad Pegula did not heed the "expert TBD advice" to "fire McBeane....fire McDermott.......fire the beerman" crap......

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I haven't changed the subject once.  I have specifically been talking about this specific topic in every reply.  I don't understand where you're coming from at all.  But I've communicated with you before....it's par for the course actually.

He was hired to fix the mess that was made by the previous regime.  You ever hear of the philosophy "you can't make an omelette without breaking a couple of eggs".

"I don't care why he did it" but you did say you agree with him.  I'm not even sure what you're arguing anymore.  

Your mental confusion has nothing to do with me. Again Beane came into what almost every GM in Bills history came into. That's just a fact. Claiming he had some uncommon cap is a lie. Beane created his own cap situation. I don't care why he did it.

9 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Your mental confusion has nothing to do with me. Again Beane came into what almost every GM in Bills history came into. That's just a fact. Claiming he had some uncommon cap is a lie. Beane created his own cap situation. I don't care why he did it.

....so why not?......was it with purpose or for the helluva it?....don't get your point here.....

3 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

You have one bizarre thought process.