Breaking: Kroft breaks foot

5 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Realists? Who has a worse contract? Murphy was a product of PEDs and Star is one dimensional who is on the field less than 50% of the defensive snaps. 

Star one dimensional? No. He was on the field more than any other interior DLineman on the Bills last year except for Kyle, the percentage of snaps is because their defense utilizes a rotation on the interior.  Because he can play NT or DT, he’s the key to them being able to play multiple fronts without substituting. He allows them to play a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5. He has the athletic talent to play inside or outside in a 3-4. He’s a disruptive force and a load to block. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Star one dimensional? No. He was on the field more than any other interior DLineman on the Bills last year except for Kyle, the percentage of snaps is because their defense utilizes a rotation on the interior.  Because he can play NT or DT, he’s the key to them being able to play multiple fronts without substituting. He allows them to play a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5. He has the athletic talent to play inside or outside in a 3-4. He’s a disruptive force and a load to block. 

I feel like you may be stretching how dynamic he is a little bit

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Star is disruptive and athletic? I like you're takes Yolo, but I gotta disagree there. I've been told numerous times that he's vital to the defense so I'm sure he's better than what I see. But disruptive and athletic are not words I attribute to a guy that doesn't make ANY plays.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Star is disruptive and athletic? I like you're takes Yolo, but I gotta disagree there. I've been told numerous times that he's vital to the defense so I'm sure he's better than what I see. But disruptive and athletic are not words I attribute to a guy that doesn't make ANY plays.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5ce5ea3438584e356b

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Star drew a lot of double-teams last year which in theory should have allowed our other defensive linemen and linebackers to get upfield and be more disruptive.

I don't think that happened enough, and that our defensive line struggled and definitely could be pushed around by good running teams. I have a hard time faulting a guy that other teams felt they have to account for with a guard and center, but I also do not think of Star as that explosive first step disruptive kind of player either. He strikes me more as a guy that can do exactly what he does, occupy two blockers without giving up too much ground.

My hope is that Ed Oliver is that gap-shooting disruptive force that can get behind blocks to produce more TFLs behind the LOS. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, WideNine said:

My hope is that Ed Oliver is that gap-shooting disruptive force that can get behind blocks to produce more TFLs behind the LOS. 

I have very high hopes for Oliver. Loved the pick and believe he's going to be the most impactful defensive player in the draft. I've beaten the Star horse to death. I'm not a big fan. But having a guy occupying blockers will certainly help EO. 

11 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I feel like you may be stretching how dynamic he is a little bit

Yeah that's a pretty bold take for a guy who made one TFL and zero QB hits last year.

He looked like he was running in quicksand all season....... the opposite of dynamic.  

His best ability is durability at this point.    Hopefully he at least bounces back to his 2017 Carolina level but not counting on it. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah that's a pretty bold take for a guy who made one TFL and zero QB hits last year.

He looked like he was running in quicksand all season....... the opposite of dynamic.  

His best ability is durability at this point.    Hopefully he at least bounces back to his 2017 Carolina level but not counting on it. 

He looks like tub of lard. Now I know NT are rarely the most chiselled players on the field but my word. Star just looks like a fat man.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Another Star myth is he constantly requires double teams. Shaq Mason from NE pretty much handles him one on one with ease all day. Im sure Mason isnt the only one as well. Id honestly say at least half the teams in the league feel more than comfortable putting just one guy on him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Another Star myth is he constantly requires double teams. Shaq Mason from NE pretty much handles him one on one with ease all day. Im sure Mason isnt the only one as well. Id honestly say at least half the teams in the league feel more than comfortable putting just one guy on him.

I believe that "All 22" did a Star review, and he was taking on double teams with the games they featured.

Just a guess, but perhaps some teams that ran well on us like NE figured they could handle Star with a single blocker which allowed them to do more pulling and ISO blocks to spring their RBs. 

Expectations are high with Star considering the money - I get it.

Edited by WideNine

2 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

You may want to revisit the film on that one...

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/12/27/18155883/all-22-analysis-where-was-star-lotulelei-run-stuffing-defensive-tackle-vs-new-england-patriots

I haven't seen any hard data regarding the percentage of snaps on which he's double-teamed, but several outlets reported that he was the most-often double-teamed player for the Bills in 2018.

https://therunnersports.com/is-star-lotulelei-worth-his-contract/

• Like (+1) 1

When did this become the star thread? 

Not sure what everyone expected, he wasn’t elite in Carolina, he was overpaid but so what? 

Do any of us know what he does in the locker room? Practice field? Film room? Did they pay for production or process stuff? Same reason Tolbert floated here as long as he did. McDermott likes to have his guys in the locker room setting the example for others. And they’ve rewarded those kind of players. Every team needs role players and guys who know their stuff. Maybe Star is a future coach in the making. Maybe he works insanely hard off the field. We don’t know. Everyone can agree he was overpaid and production didn’t match the money. Oh well you can find 2-3 guys on every single team in the league who overpaid in free agency and the numbers never matched the salary. Star has been beaten to death on here and it didn’t hurt the team one bit or stop them from making any of the moves they wanted. Same for Murphy. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well since you said every GM, I thought you meant every GM.

Well since we are just staying with the Bills...in 2009 when Buddy Nix took over the Bills we had $98 million in cap space.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2009-02-11-0902120020-story.html

I don't think that's right.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80ef32d2/printable/bills-release-g-dockery-te-royal-to-free-up-salarycap-space

22 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It's your argument, you aren't just the "messenger." 

Sounds like excuses literally lets you ignore all context and argument and be critical of whatever shortcoming their may be. It is literally refusing to make a real argument. 

Actually it wasn't my argument. It was my defense of his argument. Also context depends on the viewpoint. I see show me the baby, not it could have been or we did this or understand we couldn't. It is or it ain't. So far in free agency it ain't. Now that's my argument.

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

They weren't over the cap - they also weren't going to make any noise and had no QB.

What Bills team in the last 20 years had a QB? What GM came in with a winning QB? These are excuses. Can Beane get it done? So far in free agency I'd say he hasn't.

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

I believe that "All 22" did a Star review, and he was taking on double teams with the games they featured.

Just a guess, but perhaps some teams that ran well on us like NE figured they could handle Star with a single blocker which allowed them to do more pulling and ISO blocks to spring their RBs. 

Expectations are high with Star considering the money - I get it.

Didn't they run for like 300 yards that game

55 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Didn't they run for like 300 yards that game

Folks get all comfy with our #2 overall defense, but yeah NE did a good job of running the ball down our throats.

Once the defense committed everyone they could into the box to try to stop bleeding yards, NE was able to sneak guys like Edelman and Gronk behind them with play action for long gainers as the game wore on.

Was a tough game to watch our team from either side of the ball.

Also one of those games where we were all pretty critical with how flat-footed Edmunds was against the run from his Mike position, anticipating and filling the right gaps.

Edmunds is a freak athlete who can cover a lot of ground in a hurry defending against passes and dropping into zones, but coming up to fill against the run seemed to be a concerning gap in his game.

His recognition and reaction to attack the right gaps in run defense seemed to improve as the season progressed. Hoping that trend continues.

35 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Folks get all comfy with our #2 overall defense, but yeah NE did a good job of running the ball down our throats.

Once the defense committed everyone they could into the box to try to stop bleeding yards, NE was able to sneak guys like Edelman and Gronk behind them with play action for long gainers as the game wore on.

Was a tough game to watch our team from either side of the ball.

Also one of those games where we were all pretty critical with how flat-footed Edmunds was against the run from his Mike position, anticipating and filling the right gaps.

Edmunds is a freak athlete who can cover a lot of ground in a hurry defending against passes and dropping into zones, but coming up to fill against the run seemed to be a concerning gap in his game.

His recognition and reaction to attack the right gaps in run defense seemed to improve as the season progressed. Hoping that trend continues.

I remember watching that game and just realizing how many light years ahead Belichick was from McDermott from a game planning aspect. Completely just outclassed that game.

Yea our defense being ranked #2 is the definition of stats lying

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

Point out where it says in this article that the Bills are in cap hell.  Or mention anything close to it.

Edited by Royale with Cheese