Breaking: Kroft breaks foot

35 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Murphy got less than $8M guaranteed at signing.  He's tied for 44th in terms of AAV for EDGE defenders.

If that is one of the worst contracts in the NFL, then every GM is an absolute financial wizard in every sense of the term.

And he was ranked the 108th ranked EDGE defender on scout.com

6 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

And he was ranked the 108th ranked EDGE defender on scout.com

And that somehow makes it one of the worst contracts in the NFL?  You're reaching.

His $7.8M in guarantees doesn't even come close to being as bad as the 2018 FA contracts of guys like Ryan Jensen, Blake Bortles, TJ Carrie, Case Keenum, or several others in that FA period alone.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah...and?  Beane wants to build his team, not continue Whaleys team.  

Are you saying it was wrong of him to get rid of a guy on a $100 million dollar contract who is only a one dimensional player?

Keep Watkins, pay him as a #1 WR who has averaged 30 catches and about 500 yards receiving in the last 3 years?  Who still has foot issues?   That’s what Beane should have done?

Im saying he didn't inherit a cap mess. He caused it and threw away 2018 season.  

Its just a fact. Was it right or wrong will be decided in next couple of years based on Allen's performance and the rebuilt oline

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Im saying he didn't inherit a cap mess. He caused it and threw away 2018 season.  

Its just a fact. Was it right or wrong will be decided in next couple of years based on Allen's performance and the rebuilt oline

You're basically saying nothing at all. You're just blaming Beane for not keeping players around that they didn't want in the building. "He caused it" means zero, you're just parroting what other posters on this board with actual points to make have said. Beane got rid of players that weren't team-first players with bloated contracts and ate the cap hit for it. You're acting like he's the first GM to ever do that. 

Dareus since being traded - 2 sacks and 41 tackles in 1 2/3 seasons. Sammy hasn't broken 600 yds in a single season since leaving. What exactly is your point? That we took a knee on last year to reset the roster? How is this going to be proven "right or wrong?" Nonsensical ridiculousness like these posts are a waste of time. You have a non-opinion. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah...and?  Beane wants to build his team, not continue Whaleys team.  

Are you saying it was wrong of him to get rid of a guy on a $100 million dollar contract who is only a one dimensional player?

Keep Watkins, pay him as a #1 WR who has averaged 30 catches and about 500 yards receiving in the last 3 years?  Who still has foot issues?   That’s what Beane should have done?

I like that reply.  Clean, concise and only one sentence long.

That being said, I don't think you will convince some people to believe that that is the basis of the process.

It's not about "a player" it's about "their player".

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Realists? Who has a worse contract? Murphy was a product of PEDs and Star is one dimensional who is on the field less than 50% of the defensive snaps. 

no...no, no, no.  that's not who you or many other are, as much as you'd like to think that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

And that somehow makes it one of the worst contracts in the NFL?  You're reaching.

His $7.8M in guarantees doesn't even come close to being as bad as the 2018 FA contracts of guys like Ryan Jensen, Blake Bortles, TJ Carrie, Case Keenum, or several others in that FA period alone.

Bortles & Keenum were QBs that led teams to the conference championships the year before, Jensen & Carrie were fairly solid given their positions, you are just naming names. Murphy was outperformed by several undrafted rookies 

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We haven't been in cap hell for the last 20 years.  Not even close to it. 

All of them huh?  

John Dorsey took over the Browns in December of 2017 and for the 2018 offseason....drum roll please....$110 million in cap space.  

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/2/24/17049398/cleveland-browns-set-to-have-about-110-64-million-in-cap-space

There are several more GM's that didn't inherit cap hell.

The first year Beane took over, we had $50 million in dead cap.  Now that we had cap space this year, we signed over a dozen free agents.  

Dorsey took over the Bills?

5 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

"Excuses" is usually code for "I am unhappy but too lazy to think" 

And name calling is usually code for "I don't have a real argument so I'll damn the messenger."

18 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Bortles & Keenum were QBs that led teams to the conference championships the year before, Jensen & Carrie were fairly solid given their positions, you are just naming names. Murphy was outperformed by several undrafted rookies 

So let me get this straight: Trent Murphy's $7.8M in guaranteed money over 3 years is a worst contract than...

Blake Bortles getting $26.5M in guarantees and getting benched for Cody Kessler;

Case Keenum getting $25M in guarantees, going 6-10 as a starter, throwing 18 TDs:15 INTs, and getting traded for a 6th round pick in 2020;

Ryan Jensen getting $22M in guarantees and drawing a lower overall grade than Russell Bodine, who got a contract with a total value of 16% of Jensen's guaranteed money;

TJ Carrie getting $15.5M in guarantees and total AAV that ranked in the top 20, and getting replaced as a starter halfway through the season;

That's your case? Well, it's a terrible case that I'm pretty sure even you know is massive hyperbole at this point, but go right ahead if you feel that you need to die on this hill.

I mean, if being outperformed by an UDFA is the criteria for worst contract in the NFL, then what about the following guys that were outperformed by Robert Foster?

Pierre Garcon

Greg Olsen

DeVante Parker

Marquise Goodwin

Cordarelle Patterson

Where's the intellectual consistency?

Edited by thebandit27

45 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You're basically saying nothing at all. You're just blaming Beane for not keeping players around that they didn't want in the building. "He caused it" means zero, you're just parroting what other posters on this board with actual points to make have said. Beane got rid of players that weren't team-first players with bloated contracts and ate the cap hit for it. You're acting like he's the first GM to ever do that. 

Dareus since being traded - 2 sacks and 41 tackles in 1 2/3 seasons. Sammy hasn't broken 600 yds in a single season since leaving. What exactly is your point? That we took a knee on last year to reset the roster? How is this going to be proven "right or wrong?" Nonsensical ridiculousness like these posts are a waste of time. You have a non-opinion. 

You are correct I have a non-opinon. That is why it is called facts.

You are completely missing the point. I agree Beane's decisions are reasonable decisions that other GMs make. You can argue their merit, but I've moved on from that.

But you can not say Beane inherited the dead cap money. It's just not true no matter how hard you want to believe it.  

6 hours ago, dneveu said:

If we don't see him coming back for next year - his contract is easy to get out of next year.  This is good news for guys like dimarco, croom, sweeney, and fisher.  With Smith and knox likely already penciled in on the roster pending trades/cuts.

If knox/smith show up and are solid - he can be cut next year very easily.  If not, we have him as an option next year to compete.

Do we know the timeline on the injury?

Well, we put ourselves there by eating a ton of dead cap the last 2 years.  But most GM's who came in were unwilling to do that so they'd just compound the issue by pushing deals out.  A rebuild starts with a tear down usually.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/pages/2001-salary-cap-prison

"Donahoe inherited a team $5M over the salary cap and major changes were needed." Beane's team was not over the Cap.

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...probably missed it, but wasn't he out last year with a broken foot?...if so, same one?..............

Yes and yes.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Murphy got less than $8M guaranteed at signing.  He's tied for 44th in terms of AAV for EDGE defenders.

If that is one of the worst contracts in the NFL, then every GM is an absolute financial wizard in every sense of the term.

He's a bum. He should be paid 65th. LMAO. Even I laughed at this reply. But so what. He's a bum. He's a backup.

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

He's a bum. He should be paid 65th. LMAO. Even I laughed at this reply. But so what. He's a bum. He's a backup.

Well, he's unlikely to be a backup for this team.  And the point was simply that the other poster's statement was massively hyperbolic.

31 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

And name calling is usually code for "I don't have a real argument so I'll damn the messenger."

Well since you said every GM, I thought you meant every GM.

Well since we are just staying with the Bills...in 2009 when Buddy Nix took over the Bills we had $98 million in cap space.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2009-02-11-0902120020-story.html

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well since you said every GM, I thought you meant every GM.

Well since we are just staying with the Bills...in 2009 when Buddy Nix took over the Bills we had $98 million in cap space.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2009-02-11-0902120020-story.html

..BUT...we also had Buddy...........

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You are correct I have a non-opinon. That is why it is called facts.

You are completely missing the point. I agree Beane's decisions are reasonable decisions that other GMs make. You can argue their merit, but I've moved on from that.

But you can not say Beane inherited the dead cap money. It's just not true no matter how hard you want to believe it.  

Your point with that fact being what? 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I see your point.

However I think it can be argued that Dareus’s play since signing the contract put us in that cap hell.  He was once a 2 dimensional force and then became basically a Vince Wilfork after that.  You can’t pay that guy nearly $100 million.

Watkins as talented as he is...hasn’t had the production and keeps having foot issues.  I believe Gruden stated in a MNF telecast that McVay’s reason for not resigning Watkins was because he was one dimensional.  They went with Cooks instead.  Also Watkins admitted that he probably rubbed people the wrong way in the locker room because of his selfish nature.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

It's your argument, you aren't just the "messenger." 

Sounds like excuses literally lets you ignore all context and argument and be critical of whatever shortcoming their may be. It is literally refusing to make a real argument.