Breaking: Kroft breaks foot

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I like to think we have so many TEs on the roster because they saw the odds of Kroft getting injured as pretty high. 

They gambled (correctly) in signing him...and had back up plans....you can't fault them for giving Kroft a contract.  What were the other options out there? 

If this was their thinking all the more reason for confidence in this regime.

Whaaaaaaat, this was an avoidable mistake. Some parts of the business are hard and you can’t see an injury or a guy changing his attitude. 

Big atheltic guys with broken bones bones in their foot never ends well. This wasn’t a good signing, it was much more risk than reward. 

I like Beane and I’m still hopeful he can make winning a regular thing but I think you’re making excuses for his mistake on this one. 

3 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Whaaaaaaat, this was an avoidable mistake. Some parts of the business are hard and you can’t see an injury or a guy changing his attitude. 

Big atheltic guys with broken bones bones in their foot never ends well. This wasn’t a good signing, it was much more risk than reward. 

I like Beane and I’m still hopeful he can make winning a regular thing but I think you’re making excuses for his mistake on this one. 

I assume their Dr. checked his foot out and gave the OK.  If he's pissed at anyone its probably the doctor.  

They made it seem like he would be able to play this season as well.

Edited by dneveu

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I assume their Dr. checked his foot out and gave the OK.  If he's pissed at anyone its probably the doctor.  

They made it seem like he would be able to play this season as well.

The percentages are well documented and the NFL has plenty of recent examples that illustrate how often another break occurs or another surgery is needed. I don’t think Kroft has the ceiling where the long term reward was higher than the short term risk.

If Morse and some of the other guys contribute, Kroft’s name will soon be forgotten. With it being the slow season there isn’t much else to talk about so it leads me back to “why”. Same thing I wondered when I saw the signing.

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Folks get a bit touchy about any questions around Knox.

When I mention the drops, I am referring to his 15 rec to 28 targets in 2018. The scouting feedback on Knox was that he was athletic, good size, former QB so understands that perspective, a competent blocker, and works well in space, the risk were that he was a raw route runner with inconsistent college production and will need a lot of coaching up.

He was only given 2-3 targets a game so.... sparsely used, but an argument could be made that he did not do enough with those targets. Considering the priority that OBD put on Josh having receivers that do not put the ball on the turf, Knox struck me as an odd selection looking no deeper than the production numbers.

A lot of teams showed interest in Knox so my hope is that they all saw enough to look beyond his college production and felt any issues he has can be solved with good coaching.

I do not think the plan would have been to have him take the bulk of the starting reps this season, rather they would have leaned on Kroft and gradually worked the rookies into getting reps. So it is not a slight on our rookies when folks talk about having a vet to start before throwing these guys into the fire.

All I really needed to read. 

27 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

The percentages are well documented and the NFL has plenty of recent examples that illustrate how often another break occurs or another surgery is needed. I don’t think Kroft has the ceiling where the long term reward was higher than the short term risk.

If Morse and some of the other guys contribute, Kroft’s name will soon be forgotten. With it being the slow season there isn’t much else to talk about so it leads me back to “why”. Same thing I wondered when I saw the signing.

I mean - if he sits on the pup for 6 weeks, he's then available for 11 games.  That would have him ready by 10/20 which is about 5 months away on an injury they say has a 3-4 month rehab.  

42 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jury's out on this years FA's. Not a good start with Kroft and essentially every offensive FA they signed last year was trash.

They had plenty of cap hence the signing of guys like Star, Murphy, and Davis. 

Why make excuses? It is what it is. To this point they've done a poor job evaluating offensive FA's. Hopefully the ones they signed this year change that trend.??

This is a REALLY REALLY bad look for McBeane and Co. and their so called "process." 

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

I assume a 32 year old TE signing with the saints shows me he's interested in a ring.  Or increasing his value for another contract by playing with a HOF QB.

I really want him on my fantasy team this year.

13 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I really want him on my fantasy team this year.

My Tight ends sucked last year.  I'm so done with drafting those guys.  

Jimmy Graham was the one i drafted but i ended up playing Njoku just as much because graham sucks.

Edited by dneveu

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We haven't been in cap hell for the last 20 years.  Not even close to it. 

All of them huh?  

John Dorsey took over the Browns in December of 2017 and for the 2018 offseason....drum roll please....$110 million in cap space.  

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/2/24/17049398/cleveland-browns-set-to-have-about-110-64-million-in-cap-space

There are several more GM's that didn't inherit cap hell.

The first year Beane took over, we had $50 million in dead cap.  Now that we had cap space this year, we signed over a dozen free agents.  

Facts are helpful. Beane caused the dead cap by trading Watkins and Dareus. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Jury's out on this years FA's. Not a good start with Kroft and essentially every offensive FA they signed last year was trash.

They had plenty of cap hence the signing of guys like Star, Murphy, and Davis. 

Why make excuses? It is what it is. To this point they've done a poor job evaluating offensive FA's. Hopefully the ones they signed this year change that trend.??

The only reason you think Star was trash because you only box score scout...which is why you though my Tyrod was a good starting QB.  Star does his job which is the grunt work.

Yeah we have enough money to sign 3 guys..

This year we have more money to spend and what did we do?  Signed 3-4x more FA.  Guess what?  We are projected to have around $80 million in cap space next year.

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Facts are helpful. Beane caused the dead cap by trading Watkins and Dareus. 

Yeah...and?  Beane wants to build his team, not continue Whaleys team.  

Are you saying it was wrong of him to get rid of a guy on a $100 million dollar contract who is only a one dimensional player?

Keep Watkins, pay him as a #1 WR who has averaged 30 catches and about 500 yards receiving in the last 3 years?  Who still has foot issues?   That’s what Beane should have done?

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Two of the worst contracts in the NFL?

You’re one of those people, huh?

Realists? Who has a worse contract? Murphy was a product of PEDs and Star is one dimensional who is on the field less than 50% of the defensive snaps. 

7 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Realists? Who has a worse contract? Murphy was a product of PEDs and Star is one dimensional who is on the field less than 50% of the defensive snaps. 

Murphy got less than $8M guaranteed at signing.  He's tied for 44th in terms of AAV for EDGE defenders.

If that is one of the worst contracts in the NFL, then every GM is an absolute financial wizard in every sense of the term.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I wanted them to get Jesse James, he avg over 14 yds/c last year and signed with Detroit for less than Kroft got. He has played in every game for the last 3 years.

Instead they get the injured guy who caught 4 passes in 5 games last year. Brilliant!

It is very frustrating to hear that James got less money. I think James was a better option outright but factoring in health then it was a no brainer to just spend a little more on James (assuming you had to outspend the Lions a bit to make it happen) than go with an unknown and injury risk in Kroft. 

I think the Bills should just PUP Kroft and bring in Rudolph if it only costs them a 5thround pick, I would even consider Rudolph for a 4th. I think Rudolph can come in and give top 10 TE production for a fair price (and his contract wouldn’t be a hinderance to future free agency plans) at his age and injury history. You can then have Rudolph start, Lee Smith be the blocking tightend, Knox be a backup receiving TE, and have Sweeney, Croom, and the rest battle it out for the 4thspot until Kroft returns if he returns. 

I think if the Bills are serious about surrounding Josh Allen with talent then they should be aggressive in making sure there is a good receiving option at tightend esp if the cost to bring in a good one is fairly modest. Knox has potential but is raw, Kroft is hurt, Lee Smith is just a blocker, and Sweeny/Croom and the rest leave a lot to be desired. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Laura Kroft was a bad pu. Just begin trade talks with the Vikings.  Rudolph would be a huge upgrade over everyone else we have combined. Give them Lawson and a 5th? Any suggestions?

The Vikings would be trading Rudolph to give them some cap relief. So they wouldn't want to take back a contract like Shaq who doesn't break the bank but would add salary. I also think that it would be foolish for the Bills to dump Shaq given the depth and quality at DE isn't great. Sure Shaq is kind of OK but he is still one of the top 3 DE's on the roster and Murphy one of the other top 3 is a big injury risk.