Breaking: Kroft breaks foot

19 hours ago, teef said:

i've had an odd incidence of broken feet in my life.  my brother stepped off a step funny and broke his foot.  a few weeks after that one of my employees was walking her dog and broke her foot.  maybe it's my fault.

BURN THE WITCH!!!

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would love Rudolph on this team.  What I don’t understand about this trades is why does Minnesota, a team with SB aspirations, want to trade him?  But anything like a 3rd or lower works for me. 

Trading or cutting Rudolph is the only reasonable place for Minny to get the cap space they need to go forward into the season. They also just drafted TE Irv Smith Jr at pick 50.  Plus Rudolph would be a FA after the season and they would not likely be able to retain him anyway.

This is a situation where interested teams are just waiting for a player to be released before pursuing a long term deal with him.  It makes little sense to trade for him without that LTD in place.  There’s been no indication that Minny has allowed those discussions between his agent and teams, but it might be happening quietly.  

Edit:  Minny must’ve moved some money around.  They’ve got all draftees except one 7th round pick signed.  They are $1.1M under the cap now, but will need to find at least $4-5M more before the season starts. Cutting or trading Rudolph would free up $7.6M. 

Edited by BarleyNY

19 hours ago, teef said:

i've had an odd incidence of broken feet in my life.  my brother stepped off a step funny and broke his foot.  a few weeks after that one of my employees was walking her dog and broke her foot.  maybe it's my fault.

I want to one up you here.

A friend of mine was holding her brand new baby...like 2 week old new born.

She was walking down the steps on her front porch, stepped funny and broke her foot.  She collapsed to the ground and since she had her baby in both arms....nothing to brace with.  She also broke her jaw on the sidewalk.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

She was walking down the steps on her front porch, stepped funny and broke her foot.  She collapsed to the ground and since she had her baby in both arms....nothing to brace with.  She also broke her jaw on the sidewalk.  

Injury prone!  :beer:

(sorry I had to...That sucks for her, but glad she protected the kiddo)

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

oh god.  that's taking one for the team if i ever heard it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, teef said:

oh god.  that's taking one for the team if i ever heard it.

You're a daddy so you knew the woman can't do the horizontal mambo for 6-8 weeks after giving birth.  I felt bad for the daddy....her jaw was wired shut too.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Haha (+1) 1

I like to think we have so many TEs on the roster because they saw the odds of Kroft getting injured as pretty high. 

They gambled (correctly) in signing him...and had back up plans....you can't fault them for giving Kroft a contract.  What were the other options out there? 

If this was their thinking all the more reason for confidence in this regime.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're a daddy so you knew the woman can't do the horizontal mambo for 6-8 weeks after giving birth.  I felt bad for the daddy....her jaw was wired shut too.

her hands didn't fall off did they?  she has duties.  carry them out.

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We were in cap hell last year, we didn’t have the luxury to get a lot of free agents.

This season hasn’t started yet and you can already tell us our free agents are poor?

Sounds like excuses to me. We were in cap hell for the last 20 yrs. Every GM who took over had some kind of cap hell. All of them.

14 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I like to think we have so many TEs on the roster because they saw the odds of Kroft getting injured as pretty high. 

They gambled (correctly) in signing him...and had back up plans....you can't fault them for giving Kroft a contract.  What were the other options out there? 

If this was their thinking all the more reason for confidence in this regime.

If we don't see him coming back for next year - his contract is easy to get out of next year.  This is good news for guys like dimarco, croom, sweeney, and fisher.  With Smith and knox likely already penciled in on the roster pending trades/cuts.

If knox/smith show up and are solid - he can be cut next year very easily.  If not, we have him as an option next year to compete.

Do we know the timeline on the injury?

Just now, CuddyDark said:

Sounds like excuses to me. We were in cap hell for the last 20 yrs. Every GM who took over had some kind of cap hell. All of them.

Well, we put ourselves there by eating a ton of dead cap the last 2 years.  But most GM's who came in were unwilling to do that so they'd just compound the issue by pushing deals out.  A rebuild starts with a tear down usually.

9 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

But the person I quoted had suggested trading for Rudolph, my point was to wait and see what we have before we throw draft picks at a pricey player. That’s where it becomes bashing. Give the new faces a chance before you overlook them. 

His drops? He rarely dropped passes and I stated he was in a system with talented receivers that gave him very limited opportunity. 

Fans quick look at the stats and get disappointed or skeptical but it’s much more than that. Like I said, there are many more factors that play into stats but his abilities are what matter. Instead of looking for the next high priced option to trade for, why don’t we see what he can do first? 

Folks get a bit touchy about any questions around Knox.

When I mention the drops, I am referring to his 15 rec to 28 targets in 2018. The scouting feedback on Knox was that he was athletic, good size, former QB so understands that perspective, a competent blocker, and works well in space, the risk were that he was a raw route runner with inconsistent college production and will need a lot of coaching up.

He was only given 2-3 targets a game so.... sparsely used, but an argument could be made that he did not do enough with those targets. Considering the priority that OBD put on Josh having receivers that do not put the ball on the turf, Knox struck me as an odd selection looking no deeper than the production numbers.

A lot of teams showed interest in Knox so my hope is that they all saw enough to look beyond his college production and felt any issues he has can be solved with good coaching.

I do not think the plan would have been to have him take the bulk of the starting reps this season, rather they would have leaned on Kroft and gradually worked the rookies into getting reps. So it is not a slight on our rookies when folks talk about having a vet to start before throwing these guys into the fire.

Edited by WideNine

33 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

We haven't been in cap hell for the last 20 years.  Not even close to it. 

All of them huh?  

John Dorsey took over the Browns in December of 2017 and for the 2018 offseason....drum roll please....$110 million in cap space.  

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/2/24/17049398/cleveland-browns-set-to-have-about-110-64-million-in-cap-space

There are several more GM's that didn't inherit cap hell.

The first year Beane took over, we had $50 million in dead cap.  Now that we had cap space this year, we signed over a dozen free agents.  

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When they do surgery, the intent is normally to shorten the healing time

True, screws/plates/etc will normally improve healing time and lessen long term affects for broken bones.

I spent 30+ years manufacturing these items.

That being said, foot surgeries are always tricky.  Lot's of pressure on the foot and not good blood flow.

Here's hoping Kroft responds well and get's back sooner than later.

Kroft will be the first test case as to all the healing doodads and gizmos in the new training complex.

Did I read there was a hypobaric device? That could accelerate fracture healing.

EDIT UPDATE: Yes the training center has a hypobaric room.

Edited by boater
added info