Breaking: Kroft breaks foot

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Excalty! Top 27 Tight end group..! 

My my point was they filled up the depth chart so they didn’t need to get anything they could there in the draft.  It’s gotta be better now than last year. 

I honestly have irrational, barely founded, high hopes for Sweeney based on 3 minutes with YouTube.... which you can basically take to the bank!

Haha.  But you don’t see the problem now?  We are going to have to depend a lot on rookies.  TE is a position that has a big adjustment period to the nfl.

and I know how he finished here, but Prime Clay was so much better than any TE on the roster.  I know they tried prioritize the position but they weren’t really getting super duper talent. Kroft was a 3rd TE who couldn’t beat out a guy they said had frying pans for hands. Smith is a linemen.  Knox never caught a TD in college in an offense that passed a ton.  

I think next to qb, this team has completely undervalued the TE position.  Allen would greatly benefit from a monster in the middle of the field to throw the ball to.  We don’t have anything close to that unless the rookies magically step up, which is a lot to put on them. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hey, Knox. I know you never catch a td in college but guess what?  You’re starting in the nfl. 

TE is stocked???  I feel like TE is like qb for us when we haven’t seen a good one in forever that we don’t know what one looks like.  We have a bottom 5 TE group.  Better hope Knox is a hidden gem.  

To say it’s stocked is really shades of some posters last summer saying WR shouldn’t be a weakness 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

What would you offer for to Minny for Rudolph?  Could a mid rd pick make it happen?

I would love Rudolph on this team.  What I don’t understand about this trades is why does Minnesota, a team with SB aspirations, want to trade him?  But anything like a 3rd or lower works for me. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would love Rudolph on this team.  What I don’t understand about this trades is why does Minnesota, a team with SB aspirations, want to trade him?  But anything like a 3rd or lower works for me. 

A 3rd is an interesting question. It seems high, but is that partially because we wonder why Minny wants to trade him?

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

To say it’s stocked is really shades of some posters last summer saying WR shouldn’t be a weakness 

I remember that.  I definitely think we improved from possibly being the worst group in the nfl but we might still be bottom 5 unless some players really progress. 

I guess question i would have is game on the line, who does Allen throw it to knowing they will make the play?

4 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

A 3rd is an interesting question. It seems high, but is that partially because we wonder why Minny wants to trade him?

Obviously, you start with a 7th and work your way up like Madden.  But I think Randolph is one of the most complete TEs in the nfl and Cousins uses his TE.  Why are they trying to trade him?

7 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Cheap Chinese shoes, I hate that

Get the Klay Thompson’s. ? 

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha.  But you don’t see the problem now?  We are going to have to depend a lot on rookies.  TE is a position that has a big adjustment period to the nfl.

and I know how he finished here, but Prime Clay was so much better than any TE on the roster.  I know they tried prioritize the position but they weren’t really getting super duper talent. Kroft was a 3rd TE who couldn’t beat out a guy they said had frying pans for hands. Smith is a linemen.  Knox never caught a TD in college in an offense that passed a ton.  

I think next to qb, this team has completely undervalued the TE position.  Allen would greatly benefit from a monster in the middle of the field to throw the ball to.  We don’t have anything close to that unless the rookies magically step up, which is a lot to put on them. 

I see where you are. I have no doubt they’ll get another vet or two in here with the Kroft situation. 

I do think Sweeney looks like a Heath Clone.  His hands are so quick and soft, despite the lumbering frame. There just might be something there. To your point, there are 0 known quantities at present. 

Flip side? Clay... he averaged 15 yards per game. Any of these schmoes on the roster can fill his void as a catcher and many are better as a blocker. 

It was time for change. Change has brought uncertainty. There are tons of new TEs to sift through. I belive they can end up better there than last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Didn't like the signing and this injury comes as no surprise. Some guys just can't stay healthy and Kroft seems to fit the mold. Availability and all that jazz. The TE position is likely to hinge on whether Beane got the Knox pick right. Still, it'd be nice for THIS season IF Kroft can at least get back on the field. Tough to expect a raw rookie to step right in.

TE was always gonna hinge on if Knox works out. Agree that this is a set back because it means more lee smith. I was ok with the signing considering how deep the class was at the position.  Hopefully they can hold it together at the start of the season and Kroft is back for the tough stretch at the end. I was expecting a lot of empty sets based on last year so maybe daboll will go back to that. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Okay, real talk though... I get ACL's and Hammys getting messed up in these type of no-contact things, but how do you break a bone?

I had several breaks of my left ankle (one being compound) and I was told by the doctor that I could break it with no contact. fast forward to about 6 years ago and I was in my late 20's and I barely tweaked it on a staircase and it broke. Really sucks, the foot is something that degrades pretty significantly once you mess it up enough.

• Like (+1) 1

The guy is made of porcelain. Why they would offer him 9 million guaranteed is a mystery to me. 

Here is an excerpt from his draft profile.

. Sprained his ankle in Dec. 26 bowl game and received rehab in order to be ready for combine. During medical exams, ankle was re-injured and was unable to participate.

25 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

TE was always gonna hinge on if Knox works out. Agree that this is a set back because it means more lee smith. I was ok with the signing considering how deep the class was at the position.  Hopefully they can hold it together at the start of the season and Kroft is back for the tough stretch at the end. I was expecting a lot of empty sets based on last year so maybe daboll will go back to that. 

It was always going to hinge on Knox? The plan was to count on a guy who didn't catch a single td in college? Why did the Bills make Kroft the 12th highest paid te in the league if that was the plan?

Why did the Bills pay Kroft so much? What has he done to justify being the 12th highest paid? He played in 5 games last year and caught 4 ***** passes. Ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Nothing wrong other than one that isn’t good, one who is primarily a blocker, and two unproven rookies. One of which who has never caught a TD. I’d say the weakest position on the entire team just got even weaker. 

Not like Kroft was anything special. I am willing to bet any of these new guys could easily be better. They already are by not being made of glass.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hope Knox makes all the haters eat crow so bad. Not even giving the guy a chance to show what he has before bashing him.  A third round pick is a fairly valuable pick for a tight end. Some of the best tight ends in the league were taken in the middle rounds of the draft.  Travis Kelce is maybe the best in the league right now and he was a third round pick...why don't we wait to see what we have in the players we brought in before making any other moves?  

Edited by Buffalo30

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

I hope Knox makes all the haters eat crow so bad. Not even giving the guy a chance to show what he has to bash him.  A third round pick is a fairly valuable pick for a tight end. Some of the best tight ends in the league were taken in the middle rounds of the draft.  Travis Kelce is maybe the best in the league right now and he was a third round pick...why don't we wait to see what we have in the players we brought in before making any other moves?  

In fairness, Kelce put up 722 yards on 45 catches as a senior with a whopping 16 YPC. He also had 8 touchdowns.

When a guy doesn't score a single TD in college, there's naturally going to be skepticism. He's got the athletic ability, but there's something unsettling about a guy that didn't produce. Just have to hope he was misused at Ole Miss.