Bills finally give out #32 again, after 42 years

Opening day there will not be a 32 on the roster.  With 90 on the roster with 12 and 78 retired and 34 and 83 unofficially who do you give out?  34 or 32?  32.  After cutdown Perry most likely isnt on the roster and if he is they change his number.

I don't like it.  I would have hoped it would have been a star or at least an early round pick.  Some scrub from the Dolphins gets it, sorry, but #32 was incredible in that uniform and I think it stinks.

Well, I think OJ was one of the top 5 running backs of all time.  It was privilege to to watch him and cheer for him.   He deserved every honor and accolade he received.

BUT - he doesn't deserve any more honors.   If his number was not formally retired, then it should be used like any other number.   His team is not going to honor him going forward, and his team should not show him the respect that goes with continuing to keep his number on the shelf.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Cool! I can wear my Gary McDermott jersey again!

Edit: nope, moth eaten and smells like sour Cream Ale..

I'm going to put my Jack Spikes and Donnie Stone jerseys on ebay now that it's ok, so if you're interested...

Alright, not my J Spikes...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Opening day there will not be a 32 on the roster.  With 90 on the roster with 12 and 78 retired and 34 and 83 unofficially who do you give out?  34 or 32?  32.  After cutdown Perry most likely isnt on the roster and if he is they change his number.

Exactly what I'm hoping for & counting on now.

22 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I think it's great #32 is being given out again, to help to wipe a little of the OJ BS away.

However...

Why to a run of the mill FA? Because he asked? That's not what I expected at all.

At least he won’t have any long term resentment, because he probably won’t be here long term. Don’t be the guy to follow “the guy”. Be the guy who follows that guy. 

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

At least he won’t have any long term resentment, because he probably won’t be here long term. Don’t be the guy to follow “the guy”. Be the guy who follows that guy. 

I'm a firm believer in giving people chances to display their brilliance... he will get a shot and I'm all for that.

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I'm a firm believer in giving people chances to display their brilliance... he will get a shot and I'm all for that.

Of course! Always. He should be penalized in no way at all. My point was, don’t be the guy to follow Jim Kelly, or Bill Belichick. You can’t live up to that. Be the NEXT guy, then you stand a fair chance. 

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think giving it to a fringe guy is intentional.

"32" was unofficially retired.  So the Bills are un-retiring it in baby steps, starting with a fringe guy.  

If Perry makes the team, it'll be really weird for old timers like me to see someone besides OJ wearing that number.  

I think this is correct;  it’s a way to break the unofficial retirement with minimal notice.  It’s a way to distance them from OJ just a bit.  They do this a couple times with camp bodies/3d stringers and soon it’s no longer a story.

Had they given it to a high profile player or high draft pick it would have attracted too much attention.

But yeah, seeing someone else in that jersey is just weird.