Bills finally give out #32 again, after 42 years

30 minutes ago, Plano said:

This is a slap in the face to OJ.

Is he a terrible person? Yes

But he's a HOF running back and his # should be retired, not given to some scrub who will be cut before the regular season.

Slap in the face to O.J? I could give a rats ass about O.J!!!! I feel sorry for the poor scrub who has to wear that disgraced number

Edited by ALLEN1QB
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Slap in the face to O.J? I could give a rats ass about O.J!!!! I feel sorry for the poor scrub who has to wear that disgraced number

Short of a big free agent who has worn the number his entire career, I would not want to be the guy who wears that number here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Is this the part of the trip where OJ had the gun to his head, saying that he didn’t deserve to live?

Asking for a friend...

I thought about shooting him myself for convincing Ralph to draft Cowlings #1. Decided against it since they also drafted Chandler#81..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Perry isn’t guaranteed to make the Bills. If Perry doesn’t make the roster, technically Simpson will still be the last player to wear No. 32 for Buffalo.

But now that No. 32 is back in circulation, other players presumably will ask for it. They’ll have to consider that the uniform number will get more attention than any other they could ask for, but the legacy might not matter as much to players born in the late 1990s. After a while, it might not be shocking to see a Bills player wearing No. 32.

https://sports.yahoo.com/buffalo-bills-finally-reissue-no-32-jersey-for-first-time-since-oj-simpson-wore-it-143513031.html

I don't think we owe OJ anything in terms of the team honoring his legacy.  I just think the #32 should be off limits because it's just too weird of a situation.  I would have kept it unofficially retired for that reason only.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Perry has worn it most of his career and wears it in honor of his family, or something. He was surprised to find out it was available. Maybe it's been available for a while but nobody's ever asked for it? Either way, whatever. OJ is a turd.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s an odd decision. I don’t really have strong feelings one way or another on whether his # should be issued. But I would be interested to hear the reasoning behind why they decided to do it now after all these years, and why they are giving it to a fringe guy. 

I think giving it to a fringe guy is intentional.

"32" was unofficially retired.  So the Bills are un-retiring it in baby steps, starting with a fringe guy.  

If Perry makes the team, it'll be really weird for old timers like me to see someone besides OJ wearing that number.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

I hope so. 

Retiring a number, celebrating a person with an honor like the Wall, are optional. It’s up to the team to honor the person. The Bills should skip that honor for Simpson. 

Why?  What did he do?

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Perry isn’t guaranteed to make the Bills. If Perry doesn’t make the roster, technically Simpson will still be the last player to wear No. 32 for Buffalo.

But now that No. 32 is back in circulation, other players presumably will ask for it. They’ll have to consider that the uniform number will get more attention than any other they could ask for, but the legacy might not matter as much to players born in the late 1990s. After a while, it might not be shocking to see a Bills player wearing No. 32.

https://sports.yahoo.com/buffalo-bills-finally-reissue-no-32-jersey-for-first-time-since-oj-simpson-wore-it-143513031.html

That kid should have enough respect to not wear it.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Cool! I can wear my Gary McDermott jersey again!

Edit: nope, moth eaten and smells like sour Cream Ale..

Jack spikes wore it before Gary.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

As much as I despise Orenthal, giving out #32 again is just wrong.  Almost as bad as giving #22 to that POS Bush.

Charlie Warner wore it way before Jackson. Charlie was the man with the kickoff returns.

• Like (+1) 2