Bills finally give out #32 again, after 42 years

This is a slap in the face to OJ.

Is he a terrible person? Yes

But he's a HOF running back and his # should be retired, not given to some scrub who will be cut before the regular season.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This isn’t exorcising demons...this is inviting karma to ‘dope slap’ the Bills in the head.  Who’s responsible?!  FIRE THEM!!!  FIRE EVERYONE!!!  ??

Like most families, we just don’t talk about it.  His name, number, and accomplishments aren’t mentioned, nor are his crimes.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

As much as I despise Orenthal, giving out #32 again is just wrong.

I felt that way when we gave #15 to Todd Collins. My Son has a Simpson Home jersey.

I hope he doesn’t get confused with Senorise..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Plano said:

I hope so. 

10 minutes ago, Plano said:

But he's a HOF running back and his # should be retired, not given to some scrub who will be cut before the regular season.

Retiring a number, celebrating a person with an honor like the Wall, are optional. It’s up to the team to honor the person. The Bills should skip that honor for Simpson. 

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Plano said:

It’s an odd decision. I don’t really have strong feelings one way or another on whether his # should be issued. But I would be interested to hear the reasoning behind why they decided to do it now after all these years, and why they are giving it to a fringe guy. 

9 minutes ago, Plano said:

(He might deserve a bit more than a slap). Is it really plausible that he would ever be the subject of a halftime ceremony in his honor these days to retire his #? Somehow I think those plans were put on ice during the 1994 offseason. 

I get it--the argument is that performance on the field should never be combined with a player's off-field conduct...but in certain instances, I don't know how you can separate the two? Even those experts like Peter King who have HOF voting privileges can get tripped up by the multitude of layers involved on a case by case basis:

https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/peter-king-who-repeatedly-defended-convicted-rapist-darren-sharper-cant-in-good-conscience-give-antonio-brown-an-all-pro-vote.html

It's a tough call. But clearly the Bills have decided that they won't dwell on it, and does this really change old timers' memories of OJ playing back in the day? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s an odd decision. I don’t really have strong feelings one way or another on whether his # should be issued. But I would be interested to hear the reasoning behind why they decided to do it now after all these years, and why they are giving it to a fringe guy. 

Why?   Pt 1    you need to give up your right testicle for the answer 

Why?   Pt 2    a fringe guy may not be here long enough and 32 can go back to the closet 

All in all, I’m good with it. No one associated with the current FO has any stake in a murderer who played here 40 years ago. I don’t believe we’d ever retire the number, based on June 13, ‘96. I think it may be Pegula’s/McBeane saying “that part is over too!”

I saw OJ play many games, wowing Rich Stadium. But by ‘78, I was ready to move on. It helped that we Drafted Joe Cribbs with the pick we got from San Fran.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Cool! I can wear my Gary McDermott jersey again!

Edit: nope, moth eaten and smells like sour Cream Ale..

I think that’s just how Genny Cream smells. 

• Haha (+1) 2