Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CaptnCoke11

DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

FWIW, Hughes plays RDE and Murphy/Lawson play LDE

 

You're right, my bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

I won't speak for Badol, but there's a pretty big difference between extending Eric Wood with a year left on his deal and Jerry Hughes.

 

Why? Well, for one, the team had just matched a RFA offer sheet for Wood's backup, Ryan Groy, because they were happy with his play as a starter, and he was presumably set to take over after the 2017 season. Hughes, on the other hand, is now one of only 2 EDGE rushers under contract for the 2020 season.  The other is Murphy, who has missed a total of 19 games in the past 2 seasons and was generally underwhelming as a pass rusher last year.

 

For another, Wood was 31 years old as an offensive lineman and coming off a broken leg. Hughes is 30 and has never missed a game in 6 seasons with the team.

 

I see your point about the offer sheet, but based on the Woods extension it is clear they did not want Groy to be the starter. Don't get me wrong, it does mean Woods was more expendable than Jerry, but not by much. 

 

As far as the injury, that type of fracture is not a recurring injury.  Like, unfortunately, Krofts' injury.  Wood didn't deserve an injury label.  Lastly, lineman can get older than any other position on the field (aside QB). The one year difference doesn't mean much. 

 

Also, I don't understand the bolded part.  They both had one year left on their deals. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t believe we traded that linebacker for this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really just have to love the way Beane does things

 

This was a good signing...it was for trhe right amount of years and it was to a sensible deal....he didnt overpay and he didnt do something that was going to cap strap the team.

 

We still need to get the other side solidified.....I expect that in next year's draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

 

You're right, my bad. 

 

No worries; I'm 38 and I still get left and right wrong :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

 

You're right, my bad. 

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

No worries; I'm 38 and I still get left and right wrong :lol:

Your Right His Left .....  

 

OK  OK,   I'll stick to my day job 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYY!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“It’s always all about you, Jerry!”

 

- Leslie Frazier, 2017

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect Jerry to have a good season with the middle of our DL now providing pass rush pressure.....Meatball god bless him was not the player he had been in years passed.....you get young Meatball like pressure and you will have Havoc at the LOS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

I won't speak for Badol, but there's a pretty big difference between extending Eric Wood with a year left on his deal and Jerry Hughes.

 

Why? Well, for one, the team had just matched a RFA offer sheet for Wood's backup, Ryan Groy, because they were happy with his play as a starter, and he was presumably set to take over after the 2017 season. Hughes, on the other hand, is now one of only 2 EDGE rushers under contract for the 2020 season.  The other is Murphy, who has missed a total of 19 games in the past 2 seasons and was generally underwhelming as a pass rusher last year.

 

For another, Wood was 31 years old as an offensive lineman and coming off a broken leg. Hughes is 30 and has never missed a game in 6 seasons with the team.

 

 

Agreed.......and to expand on that there are a number of other key differences, IMO.

 

 Positionally edge rushers are a big ticket item.   They are hard to get.   If you don't have one you can't just throw a first round pick at that problem in the draft and feel confident that it's solved.  Hughes' extension is about performance and it's 60% of top of market for an edge rusher.    Hughes isn't a finisher like Von Miller but he's very good, consistent and(as you mentioned) VERY durable and pass rushers sometimes get better at this age 

 

On the other hand,  the Bills paid Wood almost top of the center market on his extension.    It's an important position but not an edge/island and still pretty easy to fill and IMO they saved nothing over just waiting for the offseason to see if he was healthy and deciding to extend him.     That premature extension IMO was really all about buying Wood's vocal support for the process.   They tossed extra bucks at McCoy at the same time too and they in turn said the right things and/or bit their tongues all summer even as Beane was thinning out the talent base in the name of the process.

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

Agreed.......and to expand on that there are a number of other key differences, IMO.

 

 Positionally edge rushers are a big ticket item.   They are hard to get.   If you don't have one you can't just throw a first round pick at that problem in the draft and feel confident that it's solved.  Hughes' extension is about performance and it's 60% of top of market for an edge rusher.    Hughes isn't a finisher like Von Miller but he's very good, consistent and(as you mentioned) VERY durable and pass rushers sometimes get better at this age 

 

On the other hand,  the Bills paid Wood almost top of the center market on his extension.    It's an important position but not an edge/island and still pretty easy to fill and IMO they saved nothing over just waiting for the offseason to see if he was healthy and deciding to extend him.     That premature extension IMO was really all about buying Wood's vocal support for the process.   They tossed extra bucks at McCoy at the same time too and they in turn said the right things and/or bit their tongues all summer even as Beane was thinning out the talent base in the name of the process.

 

 

Meanwhile the Bills were not able to fill the Center position and the line fell apart without Wood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it’s only 2 years but seems like a lot of money for a guy who has had 21 sacks in his last 4 years.  Hughes is a number 2 DE who is getting paid almost like a 1.  But you have to spend your money somewhere but it seems like they are starting to overpay like the last regime that got killed for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

 

Meanwhile the Bills were not able to fill the Center position and the line fell apart without Wood. 

 

 

I don't know what kind of memory loss you have but it wasn't a good line in 2017 under Dennison/Castillo with Glenn injured and John Miller falling off a cliff.  The Dennison system wasn't as complimentary to the existing OL talent as that of A Lynn/Roman and the performance wasn't anywhere near as good.    But it certainly fell to a worse level in 2018 without Wood, Incognito and Glenn.........not just Wood.   Incognito was asked to take a pay cut when he was at least the equal of Wood or better and Glenn was dealt.   Choices were made.   Wawrow says Beane told him they "could not afford" to address the center position more aggressively because of being saddled by the Wood contract.    Hence the Bodine signing........who actually wasn't the worst of the Bills starting OL.........I believe PFF had him as the 20 best starting center........which is mediocre, not bad.    

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess it’s only 2 years but seems like a lot of money for a guy who has had 21 sacks in his last 4 years.  Hughes is a number 2 DE who is getting paid almost like a 1.  But you have to spend your money somewhere but it seems like they are starting to overpay like the last regime that got killed for it.

 

$11.5 M a year is some margin from what elite guys are getting eg Frank Clark and Lawrence ...$20 Milion plus is the new Number 1 DE money in 2019..

Edited by Aussie Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

 

I don't know what kind of memory loss you have but it wasn't a good line in 2017 under Dennison/Castillo with Glenn injured and John Miller falling off a cliff.  The Dennison system wasn't as complimentary to the existing OL talent as that of A Lynn/Roman and the performance wasn't anywhere near as good.    But it certainly fell to a worse level in 2018 without Wood, Incognito and Glenn.........not just Wood.   Incognito was asked to take a pay cut when he was at least the equal of Wood or better and Glenn was dealt.   Choices were made.   Wawrow says Beane told him they "could not afford" to address the center position more aggressively because of being saddled by the Wood contract.    Hence the Bodine signing........who actually wasn't the worst of the Bills starting OL.........I believe PFF had him as the 20 best starting center........which is mediocre, not bad.    

 

 

This is a really good example of revising the history to fit your argument.  

 

1. Yes, 2017 was not as good as previous years, but it was miles better than last year. 

 

2. Glenn was already a non-factor by 2017 (this is a really telling example of the revisionism).  The only real loss, aside from Wood, was Incognito. But even he was obviously on the verge of a mental breakdown and really getting up there in age.  The much bigger loss was clearly Wood. Not to mention the fact that aside from LT, Center is the most important position on the line. 

 

3. I'm not sure what the Wawrow comment has to do with anything. 

 

4. PFF has no idea how to judge the offensive line.  I thought that was pretty well established after E. Wood and @AngryNFLScout vet called them out this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I’m expecting double digit sacks from Jerry this year. 

 

If he doesn't get no-called tackled every play!

47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess it’s only 2 years but seems like a lot of money for a guy who has had 21 sacks in his last 4 years.  Hughes is a number 2 DE who is getting paid almost like a 1.  But you have to spend your money somewhere but it seems like they are starting to overpay like the last regime that got killed for it.

 

Dude gets tackled every play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...