DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

I don’t see how anyone could have any complaints about this deal after seeing the way it’s structured. (I had no complaints even before seeing the breakdown...).

Great job Beane! and Overdorf (credit where credit is due)

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t see how anyone could have any complaints about this deal after seeing the way it’s structured. (I had no complaints even before seeing the breakdown...).

Great job Beane! and Overdorf (credit where credit is due)

Let's add Jerry Hughes to the credit list.  This contract screams "all in on the team".

He is the new DL leader, grabbing the torch from Kyle.

ps.  I'm sure someone will complain.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Let's add Jerry Hughes to the credit list.  This contract screams "all in on the team".

He is the new DL leader, grabbing the torch from Kyle.

ps.  I'm sure someone will complain.

Absolutely. I think he could have easily gotten more on the open market had he simply repeated his 2018 performance and he really only guaranteed himself 2020 cash by signing this deal. He's in.

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Absolutely. I think he could have easily gotten more on the open market had he simply repeated his 2018 performance and he really only guaranteed himself 2020 cash by signing this deal. He's in.

He is also an older player, not super old but getting more guaranteed money 2 years from now is nothing to sneeze at. So I think Hughes likes the team and values getting guaranteed money upfront as opposed to risking having a subpar 2019 season.  

6 hours ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Rodak says it's a 2-year, $21.5M deal but the cap numbers he gives for those 2 years are $9.5M and $9.45M, totaling just under $19M. Does anyone know how that works? Are there ways to pay guys without it ever counting against the cap?

Great deal for the team in any case.

The rest of the money is added onto the 2019 cap which is the year he already had on his deal. He was previously $10.4m against the 2019 cap and he will now count $12.9m against it. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1