DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

11 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

The point was that I'm used to being "outnumbered" as such, and in a vast minority.  If I weren't, then we'd be on a several season Super Bowl winning streak right now.  We go thru this nonsense every year.  

Yet, Lawson, Ragland, Spiller, Manuel, Watkins, etc., none of which I liked, in the 1st round or otherwise.  Almost categorically system players.  

No one sided with me on any of them except for perhaps Manuel to a reasonable extent.  Literally, I cannot think of one single person anywhere, that agreed with me on Spiller or Watkins.  Apparently I had my head so far up my ass back then that I was in perpetual darkness.  Well, the 99.9% was flat out incorrect.  My methodologies were perfectdly warranted, weren't they.  

I gotta call it here.  PM me if you want to discuss more.  I've really gotta let go here.  :)

Understood. For the record, I was a huge fan of the Watkins move. In hindsight, it wasn't the best move!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBBills Fan said:

I endorse this move

That is all

I do as well.

No one could logically be against it , with out reaching.

Now back to our regular program. The quality of Ollie's competition !  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TaskersGhost said:

Again, exceptions.  Do you happen to see that exceptions are not things that can be used to establish norms?  

Anyway, I've gotta run.  I'm done with this topic.  We've beaten it to death.  I understand the viewpoint.  It's popular opinion vs. anything else.  I get it.  I'm simply not a conformist.  Also, as Bills fans we've been thru this for years.  

As an exercise, go thru the 2017 draft and look at all the players that never anted up to their 1st-round status, and ask yourself why you think we're exempt.  ALL of those players were chosen and almost categorically draft analysts talked about how they'd all help their teams to that extent.  Yet, many haven't come close.  And to be frank again, EVERYTHING is riding on their pick of Allen as such, who was the second worst passer in the league last season.  If that situation doesn't materialize, make absolutely no mistake, there will be no encore for them and it's curtains, on to the next HC/GM.  Doesn't matter what this draft class does if Allen doesn't work out soon.  

It's foolish to think that we're exempt.  

Otherwise, from NFL.com's own draft profile, in agreement with me in things that I've stated or implied, here are some of Oliver's negatives.  I guess whomever compiled that for them is clueless as well.  That against OL-men that he won't even see in the NFL.  I think that those are significant although I acknowledge that you and most do not think that they are.  What else can be said, agree to disagree.  

• Lacks functional length
  • Gets mauled by down blocks and double teams
  • Struggles at times when offenses run downhill at him
  • Gets clogged up against wide-bodies
  • Unable to sustain early jolts into extended power
  • Backdoors blocks in lateral pursuit rather than winning across the face
  • Forced to work excessively at disengaging from blocks
  • Failed to convert explosiveness into impressive sack totals

One guess who this is:

> Marginal height and frame are nearly maxed out

> Hands are more active than strong - could play with more pop and power

> Overpowered in the run game and ground up by double teams

> Gets snared and controlled by bigger, longer blockers

> Not a two-gap player

> Has some tweener traits -- lacks ideal length and bend to play outside

Edited by K-9

9 hours ago, TaskersGhost said:

That's the narrative.  We'll find out soon.  Certainly hope I'm wrong.  

Either way, what I saw from Phillips, clearly against tougher competition, man-on-man as well, I was more impressed.  3-technique, or not, against Arizona and Texas Tech this past season, even in man-on-man I found him to be unimpressive.  Watch those videos of him.  Give me the time signature for the plays that you think he played like you're saying, in man-to-man, nothing more.  Role doesn't matter in those situations, and he was  horrible on double teams, which he'll see frequently, 3-technique (which is the role as of now) or otherwise.  Phillips is bigger and he had trouble.  

I am sorry role does matter. And I have watched every snap of both those games and had him graded as the 2nd best player in the draft long before the Bills took him. 

13 hours ago, K-9 said:

One guess who this is:

> Marginal height and frame are nearly maxed out

> Hands are more active than strong - could play with more pop and power

> Overpowered in the run game and ground up by double teams

> Gets snared and controlled by bigger, longer blockers

> Not a two-gap player

> Has some tweener traits -- lacks ideal length and bend to play outside

How many guesses do I get?

Betcha I only need one ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, TaskersGhost said:

A fair point, but I've made it clear that I've been talking about Oliver's last two seasons.  Sorry if I didin't make that completely clear.  I don't care what he did as a rookie three years ago if he hasn't been able to repeat it, particularly against far lesser competition.  

Of course the argument is that they used him differently, but to be frank, upon watching that game I'm not seeing any major differences except in situational bases.  

Either way, I acknowledge that you think that Mack and Oliver are on par with one another accounting for their positions.  Noted.  I'll dissent on that one.  

Than you should stop being so nit picky and learn how to watch a game

On 5/24/2019 at 8:52 AM, HappyDays said:

Oh, HighFootballIQ. You can't help yourself. How many usernames did you have at BBMB? Anyone who used to post there will instantly recognize this troll.

This has been my biggest complaint about Bills recently - closing the lunatic asylum and letting the patients out on street without support.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Betcha I only need one ? 

You don’t get any guesses. You already know definitively. 

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Betcha I only need one ? 

But I’d urge our ghost friend to read the “weaknesses” of any player ever profiled at the combine. 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This was what I was waiting for... and on the basis of these numbers I think it is an absolutely brilliant, no brainer of a deal. 

But...but...but...why are we as Bills fans willing to “settle” for this?

:lol: :lol: 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

This was what I was waiting for... and on the basis of these numbers I think it is an absolutely brilliant, no brainer of a deal. 

You proposed a similar deal to this a few months back in another thread, and I must admit that I thought they would have to give him more money..

It’s a very good deal for the Bills with his salary essentially already guaranteed this year as Rodak has already pointed out..

He obviously wants to stay in Buffalo and remain part of what they are building....even if his game is down a notch or two come 2021, he still could be providing value for money at the amount they have to pay him..

20 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

You proposed a similar deal to this a few months back in another thread, and I must admit that I thought they would have to give him more money..

It’s a very good deal for the Bills with his salary essentially already guaranteed this year as Rodak has already pointed out..

He obviously wants to stay in Buffalo and remain part of what they are building....even if his game is down a notch or two come 2021, he still could be providing value for money at the amount they have to pay him..

Yep. I said a 2 year extension that was really a one year extension but they would have to guarantee him the sort of money he would get guaranteed under the tag if they tagged him next year. I think Beane and go have done an excellent job on this one.