DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

12 hours ago, eball said:

Man, you are just as damaged as guys like ScottLaw. Settle for what? “Settle” for a guy ranked in the top 10 edge rushers in the league?

And to set the record straight for the umpteenth time, I do not blindly support any move the FO makes; I simply choose to look at the potential positives rather than dwell on the potential negatives. It’s a philosophical choice you just might not understand, but it makes me a much happier, more content person. 

Cheers!

I'm not sure how cool it is for posters to be taunting someone like that. This would especially apply (imo of course) to people who cry to the mods about other "meanies."

I am NOT saying that you complain to mods e-man. That said, I have a hunch that a lot of posters are, but then feel free to insult Scott and others.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Paying him for past production?  What’s the past because his productivity last season was worth 11 mill.  Sacks aren’t the determining stat that say if a pass rusher was effective.  Jerry was one of the most productive pass rushers in the league last year and was more effective than many of those that you stated. 

Edit: Another excellent pass-rusher, Buffalo Bills edge defender Jerry Hughes, led all defensive linemen in pressure percentage (19.7%) this past season, recording 74 total pressures (54 hurries, 12 hits, eight sacks) across his 376 pass-rush snaps. He also ranked second behind Donald in pass-rush win percentage (23.9%).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-signature-stats-spotlight-defensive-line

Those are elite numbers and two of the most relevant ways to measure effectiveness of a pass rusher. How many sacks, for example, are the result of the player who disrupted the QB forcing him to move from the pocket? 

On a negative note, jerry may be the all-time leader of "in the grasp but didn't record the sack" ...

Sean McDermott on Jerry Hughes extension: Reward for doing things right

Posted by Josh Alper on May 22, 2019, 8:10 AM EDT

The Bills signed defensive end Jerry Hughes to a two-year extension on Tuesday and both he and head coach Sean McDermott discussed the agreement during press conferences later in the day.

Hughes said he was excited to “get back to focusing on football and focusing on winning games” now that the contract situation has been squared away. The signing comes at a moment when the Bills don’t have a lot of long-term commitments to edge players and McDermott cited continuity as part of the reason why they wanted to get a deal done at this point.

“There’s two things that work there. It’s the continuity and it’s also rewarding a young man who has done things right,” McDermott said at a press conference. “[General Manager] Brandon [Beane] has done a nice job of balancing the checkbook over the last couple of years.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm not sure how cool it is for posters to be taunting someone like that. This would especially apply (imo of course) to people who cry to the mods about other "meanies."

I am NOT saying that you complain to mods e-man. That said, I have a hunch that a lot of posters are, but then feel free to insult Scott and others.

I’m guilty of talking smack about Scott’s negativity. Every time I read one of his posts I think to myself “I wonder what he’s going to complain about now?”  “Who is he going to call out for being a homer?”  “This dude never has anything good to say about the Bills”.  “He has to be a patriot fan just trolling us”.  95% of the time, I’m right.  His posts are always a buzzkill.  I don’t see any harm in telling him that from time to time.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I’m guilty of talking smack about Scott’s negativity. Every time I read one of his posts I think to myself “I wonder what he’s going to complain about now?”  “Who is he going to call out for being a homer?”  “This dude never has anything good to say about the Bills”.  “He has to be a patriot fan just trolling us”.  95% of the time, I’m right.  His posts are always a buzzkill.  I don’t see any harm in telling him that from time to time.  

I think that its a slippery slope. The day that we all have to agree on every issue will be the day that this great board will cease to be so great. And while you are probably correct about some of your hunches, my money says that he is often correct with his takes, and; I don't think that he is a troll at all.

We all cope in different ways. Some try to not expect so much in order to avoid being crushed when things fall apart. I for one like the directions the Bills have taken wrt Allen, the offensive line, and some other moves. I hope it works but I too try to temper my expectations after all of the heartaches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/21/2019 at 4:42 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Congrats 55!! McD likes to have a vet leader in each group and I think Hughes has curbed the penalties, performed well, and been a great teammate. I think McD actually liked that he challenged that ref last year too. He has a lot of “give a damn” in him. 

He did the complete opposite of Mario Williams.  Rarely complained(other than to the refs) and continued to do his job at a high level. A well deserved contract. 

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I think that its a slippery slope. The day that we all have to agree on every issue will be the day that this great board will cease to be so great. And while you are probably correct about some of your hunches, my money says that he is often correct with his takes, and; I don't think that he is a troll at all.

We all cope in different ways. Some try to not expect so much in order to avoid being crushed when things fall apart. I for one like the directions the Bills have taken wrt Allen, the offensive line, and some other moves. I hope it works but I too try to temper my expectations after all of the heartaches.

My expectations are tempered.  While I’m optimistic about our future mainly due to beane, we have a lot to prove.  We’ve essentially accomplished nothing until we turn it into wins.  More specifically, playoff wins.  Lots or folks here are expecting our offense to take off and be top 10.  I’m expecting 15-20.  If healthy, I expect our D to be very strong.  Top 5.  I think

thats realistic expectations.  

Scott thinks we’re a playoff team, yet rarely gives them credit.  Just negativity.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t get it biscuit were we NOT supposed to sign him?

Yeah man, I said we are better with him.  I just feel he is overrated on this board.  If he was a 31 yo FA with 22 sacks in 4 years, I won’t be thrilled signing him for that contract.  

But Hughes is at the bottom of the list of Bills problems.  But fans bend over backwards to praise this regime’s cap management and they have had some questionable contracts.  

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He did the complete opposite of Mario Williams.  Rarely complained(other than to the refs) and continued to do his job at a high level. A well deserved contract. 

Mario was such a better player though.  He was a legit top 5 DE when he was here.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Adam727 said:

Awesome!  My favorite off-season signing so far by the Bills.  Price, Number of years, etc all look good. And it was smart to sign him now instead of letting him hit FA next year.  Nice Job, Beane!

Yes! We all know how good he is. The Rams were inquiring about him...now hopefully find another DE to compliment him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah man, I said we are better with him.  I just feel he is overrated on this board.  If he was a 31 yo FA with 22 sacks in 4 years, I won’t be thrilled signing him for that contract.  

But Hughes is at the bottom of the list of Bills problems.  But fans bend over backwards to praise this regime’s cap management and they have had some questionable contracts.  

Mario was such a better player though.  He was a legit top 5 DE when he was here.  

Its a 2 year extension...you consider that a bad contract?

and yes there have been a few pretty much like every NFL GM.  THere have also been a LOT of good contracts.

I dont think any GM is gonna be squeaky clean in this....you hope that the good contracts outway the bad ones as opposed to some of the ones we have done in the past.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

and yes there have been a few pretty much like every NFL GM.  THere have also been a LOT of good contracts.

I dont think any GM is gonna be squeaky clean in this....you hope that the good contracts outway the bad ones as opposed to some of the ones we have done in the past.

I am still awaiting the breakdown but if it is a contract we cannot get out of and are tied into for the full 3 years then it is a big risk in my opinion. If they have used an amortised signing bonus and some of that is against this year's cap to make sure the Bills have an out after 2020 then I think it is a much more sensible risk. Not to say even if it is a bigger risk it can't work out. It obviously could. But you are taking a big chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I am still awaiting the breakdown but if it is a contract we cannot get out of and are tied into for the full 3 years then it is a big risk in my opinion. If they have used an amortised signing bonus and some of that is against this year's cap to make sure the Bills have an out after 2020 then I think it is a much more sensible risk. Not to say even if it is a bigger risk it can't work out. It obviously could. But you are taking a big chance. 

It seems to me that is the way Beane has been doing the contracts.....lets wait to see the final numbers though.

Love the Hughes move. For some reason I thought Jerry might be unreasonable and ask for some crazy $ numbers. That is a fair deal and if they were smart they would be pursuing another big time DE and trying to get Brady gone ASAP. He needs to fear every snap against the Bills....

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

From Spotrac:

Current Contract

Jerry Hughes signed a 2 year, $23,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including $19,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,500,000. In 2019, Hughes will earn a base salary of $6,350,000, a roster bonus of $1,000,000 and a workout bonus of $150,000, while carrying a cap hit of $10,400,000. 

CONTRACT TERMS:2 yr(s) / $23,000,000 SIGNING BONUS- AVERAGE SALARY$11,500,000 GTD AT SIGN:- TOTAL GTD:$19,500,000 FREE AGENT:2022 / UFA

BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER OPTION WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2019 Contract details by year 31 $6,350,000 $1,400,000 $1,000,000 $1,500,000 $150,000 $10,400,000 - $7,500,000($7,500,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 32 - - - - - - - -  
2021 Contract details by year 33 - - - - - - - -  
2022 Free Agent Year 34 UFA
Edited by K-9

42 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah, I’m not super angry either way.  But it is crazy how fast guys in their 30s can fall off.  Mario at 29 had 14.5 sacks.  He had 5 the next year and was out of the nfl in 2 years.  Obviously, Hughes has more of a motor than Mario but Mario was a much better talent.  It happens really fast in the nfl.  Hopefully, Hughes has a lot left. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

From Spotrac:

Current Contract

Jerry Hughes signed a 2 year, $23,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including $19,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,500,000. In 2019, Hughes will earn a base salary of $6,350,000, a roster bonus of $1,000,000 and a workout bonus of $150,000, while carrying a cap hit of $10,400,000. 

CONTRACT TERMS:2 yr(s) / $23,000,000 SIGNING BONUS- AVERAGE SALARY$11,500,000 GTD AT SIGN:- TOTAL GTD:$19,500,000 FREE AGENT:2022 / UFA

BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER OPTION WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2019 Contract details by year 31 $6,350,000 $1,400,000 $1,000,000 $1,500,000 $150,000 $10,400,000 - $7,500,000($7,500,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 32 - - - - - - - -  
2021 Contract details by year 33 - - - - - - - -  
2022 Free Agent Year 34 UFA

Yea we need to see the details. That 2019 number is just copied from the old deal.