DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

10 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Per Schefter

Bills’ DE Jerry Hughes is signing a two-year extension worth up to $23 million that includes $19.5 million guaranteed, per source.

Lock him up ! He stabilizes a key position. 

I bet somewhere Colts fans still rue the day he was traded to the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just back from 20 days in Europe and the first thing I hear is Kroft breaks his bum foot again, but extending Hughes balances it out a bit. Great work by Beane. Jerry is a force and if he repeats his 2018 performance this year with Oliver in the middle, it's going to be a fun year w/o the constant worry about the next year at DE. 

59 minutes ago, eball said:

Man, you are just as damaged as guys like ScottLaw. Settle for what? “Settle” for a guy ranked in the top 10 edge rushers in the league?

And to set the record straight for the umpteenth time, I do not blindly support any move the FO makes; I simply choose to look at the potential positives rather than dwell on the potential negatives. It’s a philosophical choice you just might not understand, but it makes me a much happier, more content person. 

Cheers!

Top 10??? Dear lord.  

JJ Watt

Chandler Jones

chris jones

frank clark

dee Ford 

Miles Garrett

danielle hunter

ryan kerrigan - insanely underrated 

mack

tj watt

pierre paul with 7 fingers

Cam Jordan 

Chubb

Calais Campbell 

Lawrence 

NGAKOUE

I might put Hughes with Dunlap.

and I don’t hate the player.  I just liked the guy three years ago who got paid half as much who we didn’t have to find excuses why he couldn’t get more sacks.  

And guess the difference between us brother is discovered objectivity.  I love the Bills just as much but I don’t punch walls because I talked myself into Nate Peterman being a good nfl QB, which you still do.  But cheers boss.  ?

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

This rarely happens, but I disagree. I think a proven 31 year old pass rusher could have gotten 11.5 mil(or more) on the open market. Obviously a lot would depend on 2019. While the sack numbers haven't been great, the pressures and overall grade(yes, I believe GM's look at those things) would make him very interesting, even at 31. I was thinking anything less than 13 mil would be reasonable, so I'm good with the contract. 

It’s all good and I like Hughes.  I just feel like we’re paying an aging player for past production, which isn’t that great.  He is better than what we had but I’d argue he isn’t even at Aaron Schobel’s level (I think he is one of the most underrated Bills of recent history).  

I also feel Bills fans just accept things.  Like a pass rusher doesn’t really need to get sacks or a qb doesn’t really need to throw touchdown passes.  We need higher standards haha. 

And hopefully, Hughes has double digit sacks playing next to Oliver, who I love. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s all good and I like Hughes.  I just feel like we’re paying an aging player for past production, which isn’t that great.  He is better than what we had but I’d argue he isn’t even at Aaron Schobel’s level (I think he is one of the most underrated Bills of recent history).  

I also feel Bills fans just accept things.  Like a pass rusher doesn’t really need to get sacks or a qb doesn’t really need to throw touchdown passes.  We need higher standards haha. 

And hopefully, Hughes has double digit sacks playing next to Oliver, who I love. 

Loved Schobel. "Didn't set the edge, blah, blah, blah." The guy's job was to tackle the QB and he did.

Where you're correct is that DE is still very much a need considering it's probably the most important defensive position(interior pass rushers are a bonus so Oliver is incredibly valuable if he's as good as I believe.) 

That being said, Hughes is a solid player and I think we may see a bump in his sack production if the offense holds up their end of the bargain. You're not gonna get a ton of sacks down 21 because the opponent is gonna play small ball and the QB is more likely to just chuck it away. He's not an elite player, but he's not being paid like one. It's a perfectly fair deal IMO.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

Awesome!  My favorite off-season signing so far by the Bills.  Price, Number of years, etc all look good. And it was smart to sign him now instead of letting him hit FA next year.  Nice Job, Beane!

11 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Per Schefter

Bills’ DE Jerry Hughes is signing a two-year extension worth up to $23 million that includes $19.5 million guaranteed, per source.

I love 55 watch him nearly every play at the snap. and then him running after the play that went the opposite side and full speed. Glad to see they did the right thing by Jerry. he seems pretty darned happy to remain a Bill.

Go Hughes !

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Top 10??  

And guess the difference between us brother is discovered objectivity.  I love the Bills just as much but I don’t punch walls because I talked myself into Nate Peterman being a good nfl QB, which you still do.  But cheers boss.  ?

That was the PFF ranking. 

And what the hell are you talking about? Last spring and summer I said there is no way Peterman should start, but if he did I would root for him to succeed. That’s called being a fan, not “accepting mediocrity” or failing to be objective. 

Stop looking for ways to insult fans who want to be optimistic and are still objective. We don’t want to wallow in your misery. 

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Loved Schobel. "Didn't set the edge, blah, blah, blah." The guy's job was to tackle the QB and he did.

Where you're correct is that DE is still very much a need considering it's probably the most important defensive position(interior pass rushers are a bonus so Oliver is incredibly valuable if he's as good as I believe.) 

That being said, Hughes is a solid player and I think we may see a bump in his sack production if the offense holds up their end of the bargain. You're not gonna get a ton of sacks down 21 because the opponent is gonna play small ball and the QB is more likely to just chuck it away. He's not an elite player, but he's not being paid like one. It's a perfectly fair deal IMO.

I think we've seen enough of the offense holds on Hughes.
It's the refs that don't ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, eball said:

That was the PFF ranking. 

And what the hell are you talking about? Last spring and summer I said there is no way Peterman should start, but if he did I would root for him to succeed. That’s called being a fan, not “accepting mediocrity” or failing to be objective. 

Stop looking for ways to insult fans who want to be optimistic and are still objective. We don’t want to wallow in your misery. 

Sack numbers are stupid. Let’s say a guy gets 16 sacks in a year. Guaranteed pro bowl, right? But really that’s one sack a game. Does that really change the course of game? Probably not.

What matters, what really makes a difference through the whole game, is qb pressures. Hughes is too 5 in that regard. He is easily a top 10 DE in the league, and it’s not rationally debatable. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, KW95 - JA17 said:

Maybe those 5 dislikes are ex girlfriends/boyfriends, a brother in law, some drunk guy who hit the wrong thumb? 

Ive never liked Hughes.  Is the last stank from the former regime.  Maybe he has matured.  Last year he did calm down on the Personal Foul Penalties.  Might be a good few years under the Beane Regime!  Lets hope.

The dislikes are from a guy named Jody who is not happy the soldier is back.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Top 10??? Dear lord.  

JJ Watt

Chandler Jones

chris jones

frank clark

dee Ford 

Miles Garrett

danielle hunter

ryan kerrigan - insanely underrated 

mack

tj watt

pierre paul with 7 fingers

Cam Jordan 

Chubb

Calais Campbell 

Lawrence 

NGAKOUE

I might put Hughes with Dunlap.

and I don’t hate the player.  I just liked the guy three years ago who got paid half as much who we didn’t have to find excuses why he couldn’t get more sacks.  

Paying him for past production?  What’s the past because his productivity last season was worth 11 mill.  Sacks aren’t the determining stat that say if a pass rusher was effective.  Jerry was one of the most productive pass rushers in the league last year and was more effective than many of those that you stated. 

Edit: Another excellent pass-rusher, Buffalo Bills edge defender Jerry Hughes, led all defensive linemen in pressure percentage (19.7%) this past season, recording 74 total pressures (54 hurries, 12 hits, eight sacks) across his 376 pass-rush snaps. He also ranked second behind Donald in pass-rush win percentage (23.9%).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-signature-stats-spotlight-defensive-line

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Paying him for past production?  What’s the past because his productivity last season was worth 11 mill.  Sacks aren’t the determining stat that say if a pass rusher was effective.  Jerry was one of the most productive pass rushers in the league last year and was more effective than many of those that you stated. 

Edit: Another excellent pass-rusher, Buffalo Bills edge defender Jerry Hughes, led all defensive linemen in pressure percentage (19.7%) this past season, recording 74 total pressures (54 hurries, 12 hits, eight sacks) across his 376 pass-rush snaps. He also ranked second behind Donald in pass-rush win percentage (23.9%).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-signature-stats-spotlight-defensive-line

Shame on you for using logic and verified data to prove your point. ?

I for one am happy this deal got done. 

This is a steal , I know it's fully guaranteed but he's an elite edge rusher , we have him for ,3 more years now at 10-11 mil per. 

That's outstanding for a player of his caliber, think he gave us a little hometown discount?? I think he wants to stay in Buf and be apart of what I believe will be s special era

39 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Shame on you for using logic and verified data to prove your point. ?

I for one am happy this deal got done. 

He also set the single gm record @ Minny for pressures in a game! I think Watt held that title previously... Jerry is a monster 

It's real simple, and there aren't two sides to it:

Jerry Hughes is a very good edge rusher. The Bills improved their team next year by re-signing him. Letting him walk away while he's still highly productive would have been silly.

NOT liking the play of Jerry Hughes or the fact that the Bills re-signed him is also silly. If you look at Jerry Hughes and think "that guy's just not a very good edge rusher, and the Bills shouldn't have re-signed him", then you don't know what you're looking at. Opinions can't usually be wrong, but that one is. 

Any questions?

We still awaiting the breakdown of the $$s? 

I still think this is critical to how I feel about this contract. If it is structured in such a way as to make it escapable for the Bills after the 2020 season if they need to then I am in favour. If it ties us in for 2021 I think it is a risky deal. 

I trust this regime when it comes to defense.  I think he has three good years left in him but it's obviously a risk giving him all that guaranteed money.  Let's hope he keeps performing at this level.

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fair points.  Let me be clear, I think the Hughes trade was one of the best trades in Bills’ history.  He has great energy and seems to have eliminated the brain dead penalties that were his specialty.  

That said, is there a DE on that list with less sacks than his 21 in 4 years?  Is there another one who is going to be 31?

the Bills are better with Hughes.  But I do I think 32 year old Hughes will be worth $11.5?  Nope.  He is a number 2 DE.  But since it’s a short deal, it’s fairly fine.  But I can easily see us being disappointed in the deal at this time next year.?

Actually there are are over 4 DE that are the same age or older making more than Hughes even with the new contract - some significantly more money.

A guy like Cameron Hayward in Pittsburgh - same age getting 14+ million and similar numbers and still has term left after this year.  

You have others like JPP and Watt with injury history, but bigger totals - both pushing 20 million a season with term left.

I think 11 million for a top rated rusher - especially with the contracts being given out now is a steal.  Now he just has to play these years out just as he has this contract.