DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

19 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Where are we at as far as cap left now with this signing and our draft picks?

I like the signing....but this should be about it right?

afaik there is no new money hitting the 2019 cap - but sportrac hasn't been updated yet.  Would be adds for 2020 and 2021

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not sure I agree - currently he is the 20th paid DE in the NFL. We have this year and 2 additional years at about the same money.  By next year and the year after he will be closer to 25 - 40 th in the market and the DE market has gone nuts with guys like Trey Flowers hitting 16 million next year and going to 23 million - he will look like a bargain.  

Heck DeMarcus Lawrence is already slated to make over 26 million when he is the same age as Hughes.

I do not view this as overpaying at all - you signed a known entity at a premium position for significantly less than others have been signed recently and less than others of the same age.

He's also like - a big buffalo guy.  This isn't a street free agent overpay.  Its a guy 2 years in with McD who wants to be here.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dneveu said:

afaik there is no new money hitting the 2019 cap - but sportrac hasn't been updated yet.  Would be adds for 2020 and 2021

He's also like - a big buffalo guy.  This isn't a street free agent overpay.  Its a guy 2 years in with McD who wants to be here.

Thanks for the info!

If this is the case lets bring in another TE or that DL that just got released.

35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My point wasn’t that I wanted any of those guys. It was just, signing Hughes makes you less “needy” next year. You have 1 spot locked up instead of none. 

There seems to be a pattern there! The FA signings at OL and WR let us draft a lot more freely without being so “needy”. 

• SDS changed the title to DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension
37 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Thanks for the info!

If this is the case lets bring in another TE or that DL that just got released.

The best 2 players available are Suh and McCoy - neither hit comp pick formulas - and neither has a ring.  Seems like they'll either go where they can get overpaid on a 1yr deal, or go to a contender with space.

Cleveland, Indy, Seattle look like good destinations.  More cap than buffalo in 2019 - anticipated playoff teams - spot to start without a competition.  

I expect both to wait a bit to sign though - why go to OTAs and camp if you dont have to?

As i wrote this it said the bucs are trying to sign Suh.  Must be cheaper than McCoy?

Edited by dneveu

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1.  This is where you show some data to illustrate that.    You can't so you don't.

2.  Glenn was a factor when in the lineup in 2017.   The opener versus the Jets stood out because Glenn had a strong game and the running game was efficient.   They were otherwise inconsistent early in the season with Glenn in and out of the lineup but appeared to be rounding into form offensively with Glenn back versus TB and Oakland but after he was injured in the Jets game the offense REALLY struggled to move the ball the rest of the season.    His absence mattered.    

As for Incognito he was every bit as good as Wood or better and they wanted him for less than half of Wood's contract.   Messing with his money made no sense then or in retrospect.   When the OG market blew up Incognito lost his sh*t.   If paying players was actually about "frame of mind" like it's sold with the Wood extension then messing with RI was bad biz.   Personally I felt the LG position was worse than C and it took it's toll on Dawkins who is now a reclamation project after they thought he was a sure-fire franchise LT.

3. What Wawrow has to do with it is that he says Beane wouldn't spend to replace Wood.    The Wood contract is why we had to wait a year for a more concerted effort to improve the position.   Beane was operating under a cash-to-cap methodology and with $11M+ tied up in the center position he wasn't willing to spend to protect Josh Allen in 2018.  That's what it came down to.    So it's not a matter of being a hard position to fill.....it's not....that's why very good ones like Morse often make it to UFA.   

4. Clearly there were more issues than Bodine filling in for Wood.  The guard positions struggled and Dawkins gave up a lot of pass pressure and sacks.    

1. It is the offensive line, a group not as amenable to statistical analysis as others.  But this seems like a non-issue.  Are you actually contending that the offensive line last year was even close to 2017?  I didn't think anyone actually thought this...

2. Cordy Glenn was out after the fifth game.  With Cordy Glenn in the offense averaged 271 yards/game.  With Cordy Glenn out, the offense averaged 316 yards/game.  So no, the offense moved the ball better without Glenn.  

Your Incognito point is absolutely non-sensical.  I don't know how anyone argues he wasn't on the way to being a basket case.  I honestly had assumed everyone understood it was a large part of why they asked for his contract to be cut. 

3.  You act like the team was expecting Wood to retire.  Had he not retired, we would have been all set.  No one saw it coming.  The fact that you glaze over this piece is every reason your history is so revisionist.  

4.  There were problems with other parts of the line, but its the Center that leads the group and calls protections.  It starts with him.  The fact that the line not only played poorly, but suffered from constant miscommunications is an illustration that the problem started a the Center position. 

Beane probably foresees some big stats for Hughes this year with Oliver in the middle (hopefully) wreaking havoc. Not to mention if we're playing with the lead more he'll get to tee off on opposing QBs. Better to extend him now before his stats potentially go through the roof.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not sure I agree - currently he is the 20th paid DE in the NFL. We have this year and 2 additional years at about the same money.  By next year and the year after he will be closer to 25 - 40 th in the market and the DE market has gone nuts with guys like Trey Flowers hitting 16 million next year and going to 23 million - he will look like a bargain.  

Heck DeMarcus Lawrence is already slated to make over 26 million when he is the same age as Hughes.

I do not view this as overpaying at all - you signed a known entity at a premium position for significantly less than others have been signed recently and less than others of the same age.

....certainly agree....above market performing player at a below market price......sure IS a "hometown discount"......

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Fair points.  Let me be clear, I think the Hughes trade was one of the best trades in Bills’ history.  He has great energy and seems to have eliminated the brain dead penalties that were his specialty.  

That said, is there a DE on that list with less sacks than his 21 in 4 years?  Is there another one who is going to be 31?

the Bills are better with Hughes.  But I do I think 32 year old Hughes will be worth $11.5?  Nope.  He is a number 2 DE.  But since it’s a short deal, it’s fairly fine.  But I can easily see us being disappointed in the deal at this time next year.?

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess it’s only 2 years but seems like a lot of money for a guy who has had 21 sacks in his last 4 years.  Hughes is a number 2 DE who is getting paid almost like a 1.  But you have to spend your money somewhere but it seems like they are starting to overpay like the last regime that got killed for it.

You do understand that pressure results in errant passes and interceptions, right?

Of course you do. You’re just hell bent on convincing yourself Beane and McD are no good so you won’t be disappointed. 

Live a little, man! This is a very solid, proactive move by the Bills for a key player. 

10 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Interesting it’s basically a full guaranteed deal. 

It makes sense considering the dollar figure. Excellent value for the Bills. Great news. I STILL want another pass rusher, but this settles the Hughes issue and he clearly wants to be in Buffalo.

9 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Important re-up from a numbers perspective.

The team really needs to overhaul the EDGE rushing group next offseason, but with only Murphy under contract, that will prove difficult.

Hughes is, in the very least, a serviceable pass rusher that can force the issue, even if he does struggle to finish plays at this point in his career.

The money on this isn't bad at all.  It sets the team up to be able to go after a complementary rusher, and the 2020 FA class is flooded with them.

This. I love the signing, but it does not quash the need for pass rushers going forward.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

You do understand that pressure results in errant passes and interceptions, right?

Of course you do. You’re just hell bent on convincing yourself Beane and McD are no good so you won’t be disappointed. 

Live a little, man! This is a very solid, proactive move by the Bills for a key player. 

I guess the counter would be you will love any move McBeane will make. ?

again, I loved the trade. I love that we got a double digit sack guy for Kelvin Shepard. Can’t temember who the GM was but it was an amazing deal.  

But we always just settle for stuff as Bills fans.  Why can’t Hughes get sacks but Aaron Donald can or other elite defensive players?  I don’t feel great about paying a guy tied for 38th in sacks who is going to be 31 (age where a lot of DEs start fading) that much.  Overall, it’s fine and we are better with them.  But I don’t think Hughes gets this contract on the open market.  

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It makes sense considering the dollar figure. Excellent value for the Bills. Great news. I STILL want another pass rusher, but this settles the Hughes issue and he clearly wants to be in Buffalo.

I think the money helps haha.  I really don’t think his market would have been great next year.  His production and age won’t dictate it. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think the money helps haha.  I really don’t think his market would have been great next year.  His production and age won’t dictate it. 

This rarely happens, but I disagree. I think a proven 31 year old pass rusher could have gotten 11.5 mil(or more) on the open market. Obviously a lot would depend on 2019. While the sack numbers haven't been great, the pressures and overall grade(yes, I believe GM's look at those things) would make him very interesting, even at 31. I was thinking anything less than 13 mil would be reasonable, so I'm good with the contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess the counter would be you will love any move McBeane will make. ?

But we always just settle for stuff as Bills fans.  Why can’t Hughes get sacks but Aaron Donald can or other elite defensive players?  I don’t feel great about paying a guy tied for 38th in sacks who is going to be 31 (age where a lot of DEs start fading) that much.  Overall, it’s fine and we are better with them.  But I don’t think Hughes gets this contract on the open market.  

Man, you are just as damaged as guys like ScottLaw. Settle for what? “Settle” for a guy ranked in the top 10 edge rushers in the league?

And to set the record straight for the umpteenth time, I do not blindly support any move the FO makes; I simply choose to look at the potential positives rather than dwell on the potential negatives. It’s a philosophical choice you just might not understand, but it makes me a much happier, more content person. 

Cheers!

• Like (+1) 2