DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

someone say PFF?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-the-nfls-top-third-down-pass-rushers

3. Jerry Hughes, Buffalo Bills – 90.6 pass-rushing grade

Jerry Hughes did anything but regress in 2018, as he earned the third-best pass-rushing grade on third down (90.6). Hughes amassed six sacks and 33 quarterback pressures on third-down passing plays which contributed towards his second-ranked win percentage (26.9%) among all NFL defenders.

A season ago, 159 defenders saw 50-plus third-down pass-rush snaps; Hughes was one of just three defenders who recorded a pass-rush productivity mark of 30.0 or higher. Hughes pressured the quarterback on a staggering 25.4% of third-down pass-rush snaps which ranked second at his position.

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Yeah, the EDGE position is loaded in the 2020 free agent market.  Just off the top of my head, there's Clowney, Dupree, Ngakoue, Ingram, Ansah, Fowler, Griffen, Addison, and Beasley who are currently slated to become UFAs.  Then you get to the guys with enormous cap numbers like Von Miller, Chandler Jones, and Calais Campbell that may not be retained.

The Bills can definitely afford to go hard after any of the above guys, plus keep both Hughes and Murphy if they want to do so.

Kind of the same as the receiver position, where you'll see names like Green, Boyd, Edelman, Anderson, Cooper, Sanders, Thomas, and Hill all with expiring contracts. It makes for a great situation to go HUGE after the guy you like (say, Boyd), given that they (to borrow your phrasing) raised the floor of the position by adding Brown and Beasley.

Source: Patriots, Edelman reach 2-year extension

scratch one more 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I thought it would take a 3 year deal in the $11M-$13M a year range to get him to re-up with us.  Not too far off.   The Bills end up getting him at a really good price without having to commit 3 additional years.   Great deal

7 hours ago, KW95 - JA17 said:

No worry whatsoever.  No angst.  Just think hes an average player who has hurt Bills more times than he has helped.  Go Bills!

+ 1

No impact when needed IMO.

AND this is why the Pats are always ahead: release a player 1 year too soon more than than sign/extend a player like Hughes.

17 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Not surprising at all.

One other thing to think about is that there will also be good, young-ish WRs that will be released for cap reasons. It wouldn't surprise me at all if any of Sammy Watkins, Alshon Jeffery, Allen Robinson, or Stefon Diggs were released/traded.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is another one of those moves that raises the floor for the Bills. They did A LOT of that this year. I think of signing like Gore, Nsekhe, Long, Gaines, Kroft, etc... Hughes is a better player than those guys but the point is the Bills eliminated, a potentially, gaping hole next year. The Bills still have a need on the edge moving forward but have 1 starting edge here already (plus maybe Murphy). 

They can chase a star opposite him if they want (Clowney), a role player with upside (Beasley), a solid vet (Quinn), bring back their own (Lawson) or stand pat and wait for the draft. This move eliminates a need and desperation for the Bills. Great move!!

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  I understand what you want at DE, I would say Murphy and Shaq are Good DEs though.  With that being said I would like another great DE with stronger pass rushing ability.  Maybe Shaq will prove he can do it.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agreed.......and to expand on that there are a number of other key differences, IMO.

Positionally edge rushers are a big ticket item.   They are hard to get.   If you don't have one you can't just throw a first round pick at that problem in the draft and feel confident that it's solved.  Hughes' extension is about performance and it's 60% of top of market for an edge rusher.    Hughes isn't a finisher like Von Miller but he's very good, consistent and(as you mentioned) VERY durable and pass rushers sometimes get better at this age 

On the other hand,  the Bills paid Wood almost top of the center market on his extension.    It's an important position but not an edge/island and still pretty easy to fill and IMO they saved nothing over just waiting for the offseason to see if he was healthy and deciding to extend him.     That premature extension IMO was really all about buying Wood's vocal support for the process.   They tossed extra bucks at McCoy at the same time too and they in turn said the right things and/or bit their tongues all summer even as Beane was thinning out the talent base in the name of the process.

Do you ever even in a positive thread where Beane is doing something right NOT take an opportunity to take a shot at Beane?

For christ sake

6 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  I understand what you want at DE, I would say Murphy and Shaq are Good DEs though.  With that being said I would like another great DE with stronger pass rushing ability.  Maybe Shaq will prove he can do it.

I feel like if Shaq was going to show more pass rush ability he would have already done it.....

but I dont hate Shaq...he is a high effort player....good against the run....and can play inside

30 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

My point wasn’t that I wanted any of those guys. It was just, signing Hughes makes you less “needy” next year. You have 1 spot locked up instead of none. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess it’s only 2 years but seems like a lot of money for a guy who has had 21 sacks in his last 4 years.  Hughes is a number 2 DE who is getting paid almost like a 1.  But you have to spend your money somewhere but it seems like they are starting to overpay like the last regime that got killed for it.

Not sure I agree - currently he is the 20th paid DE in the NFL. We have this year and 2 additional years at about the same money.  By next year and the year after he will be closer to 25 - 40 th in the market and the DE market has gone nuts with guys like Trey Flowers hitting 16 million next year and going to 23 million - he will look like a bargain.  

Heck DeMarcus Lawrence is already slated to make over 26 million when he is the same age as Hughes.

I do not view this as overpaying at all - you signed a known entity at a premium position for significantly less than others have been signed recently and less than others of the same age.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is a really good example of revising the history to fit your argument.  

1. Yes, 2017 was not as good as previous years, but it was miles better than last year. 

2. Glenn was already a non-factor by 2017 (this is a really telling example of the revisionism).  The only real loss, aside from Wood, was Incognito. But even he was obviously on the verge of a mental breakdown and really getting up there in age.  The much bigger loss was clearly Wood. Not to mention the fact that aside from LT, Center is the most important position on the line. 

3. I'm not sure what the Wawrow comment has to do with anything. 

4. PFF has no idea how to judge the offensive line.  I thought that was pretty well established after E. Wood and @AngryNFLScout vet called them out this year. 

1.  This is where you show some data to illustrate that.    You can't so you don't.

2.  Glenn was a factor when in the lineup in 2017.   The opener versus the Jets stood out because Glenn had a strong game and the running game was efficient.   They were otherwise inconsistent early in the season with Glenn in and out of the lineup but appeared to be rounding into form offensively with Glenn back versus TB and Oakland but after he was injured in the Jets game the offense REALLY struggled to move the ball the rest of the season.    His absence mattered.    

As for Incognito he was every bit as good as Wood or better and they wanted him for less than half of Wood's contract.   Messing with his money made no sense then or in retrospect.   When the OG market blew up Incognito lost his sh*t.   If paying players was actually about "frame of mind" like it's sold with the Wood extension then messing with RI was bad biz.   Personally I felt the LG position was worse than C and it took it's toll on Dawkins who is now a reclamation project after they thought he was a sure-fire franchise LT.

3. What Wawrow has to do with it is that he says Beane wouldn't spend to replace Wood.    The Wood contract is why we had to wait a year for a more concerted effort to improve the position.   Beane was operating under a cash-to-cap methodology and with $11M+ tied up in the center position he wasn't willing to spend to protect Josh Allen in 2018.  That's what it came down to.    So it's not a matter of being a hard position to fill.....it's not....that's why very good ones like Morse often make it to UFA.   

4. Clearly there were more issues than Bodine filling in for Wood.  The guard positions struggled and Dawkins gave up a lot of pass pressure and sacks.    

• Like (+1) 1

With no disrespect to Kyle (an all-time favorite!), I’m sure Hughes is going to love lining up next to lightning quick Oliver next season.  Together they can cause some havoc out there!  Find some pressure from the other side and we could be seriously dangerous. They sent Edmunds up the middle quite a bit, too. I’m sure they all love the options available to get pressure. 

Edited by Augie