DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

Definitely a great move, one many have been calling for. 

It almost feels surreal to have a front office making what seems to be the right move all offseason. I think I could get used to this. 

Go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Forward Progress said:

Are we allowed to say nice things about Whaley any more?  That was the best trade in favor of the Bills - it was an absolute steal!

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes we are but I think Nix was the GM when that trade was made (not to say Whaley wasn’t involved, he probably made the trade while Buddy was asleep)

Every rose has its thorn. The Bills did draft Kelvin Sheppard :ph34r:

Thank goodness.  This is a hugely positive move for the Bills.  We have our difference maker at DE locked up for 3 years.  I’ve posted several times about the importance of addressing the DE position and this was #1 on my list.  Awesome. 

3 hours ago, KW95 - JA17 said:

Cued right here.  Did you know he gets lots of pressure?  Did you know the refs dont like him so there are never any holds called against him?  Did you know he is good for a couple 15 yard penalties per year?

But whatever, He almost gets the QB.  Now people are happy because a player " disrupts " a QB.

Oh no. A couple 15 yard penalties a year?! That's like 30 yards.

Happy for #55, is the heart of defense now that #95 is gone.  Good value for both sides on extension.  Hope Murph or Shaq step up on other side now!

Wonder how close he and Oliver will be as both Texas guys who love the ranch lifestyle.  

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is another one of those moves that raises the floor for the Bills. They did A LOT of that this year. I think of signing like Gore, Nsekhe, Long, Gaines, Kroft, etc... Hughes is a better player than those guys but the point is the Bills eliminated, a potentially, gaping hole next year. The Bills still have a need on the edge moving forward but have 1 starting edge here already (plus maybe Murphy). 

They can chase a star opposite him if they want (Clowney), a role player with upside (Beasley), a solid vet (Quinn), bring back their own (Lawson) or stand pat and wait for the draft. This move eliminates a need and desperation for the Bills. Great move!!

Agree with everything you said here. Hughes is a leader. He showed he wants to be here and took to helping mentor younger players. Hughes plays with passion and has learned how to focus it better. I hope Lawson can build on what he showed signs of last year. Love to see a similar deal next offseason if Lawson does. As for Beasley, this is the put up or shut up Year. Quinn is now the DC and believes he can turn Beasley into the player he was drafted to be. Personally I think the Falcons will be looking for a new DC and HC as well as a DE.  

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

@BADOLBILZ What are your thoughts, did Beane e-wood himself again?  That's it, right? You don't believe in extensions. 

I won't speak for Badol, but there's a pretty big difference between extending Eric Wood with a year left on his deal and Jerry Hughes.

Why? Well, for one, the team had just matched a RFA offer sheet for Wood's backup, Ryan Groy, because they were happy with his play as a starter, and he was presumably set to take over after the 2017 season. Hughes, on the other hand, is now one of only 2 EDGE rushers under contract for the 2020 season.  The other is Murphy, who has missed a total of 19 games in the past 2 seasons and was generally underwhelming as a pass rusher last year.

For another, Wood was 31 years old as an offensive lineman and coming off a broken leg. Hughes is 30 and has never missed a game in 6 seasons with the team.

• Like (+1) 3

Super happy about this, this was a no-brainer extension at a modest cost. We now have the LDE locked down for 3 more seasons. Next season we can sign a RDE in FA to replace Lawson/Murphy (I don't expect Murphy to get to the last year of his contract with us). This takes a lot of pressure off of the 2020 offseason. 

Edited by ndirish1978

5 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Super happy about this, this was a no-brainer extension at a modest cost. We now have the LDE locked down for 3 more seasons. Next season we can sign a RDE in FA to replace Lawson/Murphy (I don't expect Murphy to get to the last year of his contract with us). This takes a lot of pressure off of the 2020 offseason. 

FWIW, Hughes plays RDE and Murphy/Lawson play LDE