DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

3 minutes ago, KW95 - JA17 said:

Cued right here.  Did you know he gets lots of pressure?  Did you know the refs dont like him so there are never any holds called against him?  Did you know he is good for a couple 15 yard penalties per year?

But whatever, He almost gets the QB.  Now people are happy because a player " disrupts " a QB.

That’s ok, you won’t be alone. Others will say Beane “didn’t need to extend a player already under contract” as well.

I hope you enjoy your angst and worry!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Important re-up from a numbers perspective.

The team really needs to overhaul the EDGE rushing group next offseason, but with only Murphy under contract, that will prove difficult.

Hughes is, in the very least, a serviceable pass rusher that can force the issue, even if he does struggle to finish plays at this point in his career.

The money on this isn't bad at all.  It sets the team up to be able to go after a complementary rusher, and the 2020 FA class is flooded with them.

He was more focused on trying to knock the ball out it seemed than bringing down the QB. He did have 3 FF last year, but wonder if he changes that strategy 

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The man cannot even get his named capitalized after signing his new extension.....such a shame. 

i only capitalize the names of alcohol and adult film stars.  it's just how i choose to live my life.

• Haha (+1) 7

1 minute ago, eball said:

That’s ok, you won’t be alone. Others will say Beane “didn’t need to extend a player already under contract” as well.

No worry whatsoever.  No angst.  Just think hes an average player who has hurt Bills more times than he has helped.  Go Bills!

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Far and away a top 5 take on this board.  I remember the first time I read that, and I couldn't tell if I was reading irony or not (it was with regard to E.Wood).   That's when you know you are at Stephen A. level takes. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What was he was due to earn before this extension? Where are we with regards to the Cap?

In 2019 - 6.35 base, a little over mill in bonuses, and the cap hit is 10.4 mill. He was set to be a UFA in 2020.

1 minute ago, KW95 - JA17 said:

No worry whatsoever.  No angst.  Just think hes an average player who has hurt Bills more times than he has helped.  Go Bills!

You ever see those videos on Youtube of soldiers surprising their kids by coming home early from deployment, and the video has 300,000 likes but 5 dislikes, and you wonder to yourself who in the world is disliking this video?  That is you.  You are that guy.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You ever see those videos on Youtube of soldiers surprising their kids by coming home early from deployment, and the video has 300,000 likes but 5 dislikes, and you wonder to yourself who in the world is disliking this video?  That is you.  You are that guy.  

Funny Stuff!

Takes all kinds to make the world go round!  Dont like Hughes.  Not a big deal. Go Bills! 

This is another one of those moves that raises the floor for the Bills. They did A LOT of that this year. I think of signing like Gore, Nsekhe, Long, Gaines, Kroft, etc... Hughes is a better player than those guys but the point is the Bills eliminated, a potentially, gaping hole next year. The Bills still have a need on the edge moving forward but have 1 starting edge here already (plus maybe Murphy). 

They can chase a star opposite him if they want (Clowney), a role player with upside (Beasley), a solid vet (Quinn), bring back their own (Lawson) or stand pat and wait for the draft. This move eliminates a need and desperation for the Bills. Great move!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Per Schefter

Bills’ DE Jerry Hughes is signing a two-year extension worth up to $23 million that includes $19.5 million guaranteed, per source.

..below market $$$ for an above market performer......win-win IMO......

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ah yea it could be that..... they could be putting some more guaranteed money on this year - I am okay with that if they are. I don't really want a deal that guarantees him more than nominal money in 2021.

Assuming there’s some sort of signing bonus - which is likely a safe bet- would accomplish that. If this years salary largely becomes signing/roster bonus, and next year mostly guaranteed it gets you there pretty quickly as it’s not that much in total dollars guaranteed 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Lol.  Bringing the balance. Love it! 

Maybe those 5 dislikes are ex girlfriends/boyfriends, a brother in law, some drunk guy who hit the wrong thumb? 

Ive never liked Hughes.  Is the last stank from the former regime.  Maybe he has matured.  Last year he did calm down on the Personal Foul Penalties.  Might be a good few years under the Beane Regime!  Lets hope.

Edited by KW95 - JA17

4 minutes ago, KW95 - JA17 said:

Maybe those 5 dislikes are ex girlfriends/boyfriends, a brother in law, some drunk guy who hit the wrong thumb? 

Ive never liked Hughes.  Is the last stank from the former regime.  Maybe he has matured.  Last year he did calm down on the Personal Foul Penalties.  Might be a good few years under the Beane Regime!  Lets hope.

On twitter, Mike Tannenbaum described Hughes as the first guy his teams prepared for when planning for the Bills. He gets really good production.  I also believe sacks are overrated, except to the extent they indicate whether a player is consistently getting pressure on the QB (I can expand on this if you want).  The fact that Hughes gets that kind of consistent pressure (regardless of sacks) makes him wildly productive in my eyes. 

Penalties suck, but I think you are overvaluing them.  They are important, but their is not as much of a correlation between penalties and wins as people think. 

• Like (+1) 1