DE Jerry Hughes: Signs two-year extension

15 minutes ago, eball said:

Cue the “Hughes is done because he didn’t have a lot of sacks in 2018” crowd. 

An insightful, proactive move by Beane to take one worry off the table next offseason. 

He had more sacks in 2018 than he had in the previous 3 seasons.  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They can be a little loose with the wording though. I'll wait to see. If they are guaranteeing him $19m over the years when he will be 32 and 33 I think that is a really risky contract. When the cliff comes for pass rushers it tends to come quickly.

I’m assuming this year and next guaranteed and year 3 flexibility if I have to guess 

Just now, NoSaint said:

I’m assuming this year and next guaranteed and year 3 flexibility if I have to guess 

Ah yea it could be that..... they could be putting some more guaranteed money on this year - I am okay with that if they are. I don't really want a deal that guarantees him more than nominal money in 2021.

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Congrats 55!! McD likes to have a vet leader in each group and I think Hughes has curbed the penalties, performed well, and been a great teammate. I think McD actually liked that he challenged that ref last year too. He has a lot of “give a damn” in him. 

Well stated..

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, eball said:

Cue the “Hughes is done because he didn’t have a lot of sacks in 2018” crowd. 

An insightful, proactive move by Beane to take one worry off the table next offseason. 

Cued right here.  Did you know he gets lots of pressure?  Did you know the refs dont like him so there are never any holds called against him?  Did you know he is good for a couple 15 yard penalties per year?

But whatever, He almost gets the QB.  Now people are happy because a player " disrupts " a QB.

Important re-up from a numbers perspective.

The team really needs to overhaul the EDGE rushing group next offseason, but with only Murphy under contract, that will prove difficult.

Hughes is, in the very least, a serviceable pass rusher that can force the issue, even if he does struggle to finish plays at this point in his career.

The money on this isn't bad at all.  It sets the team up to be able to go after a complementary rusher, and the 2020 FA class is flooded with them.

• Thank you (+1) 1