Where will free agent Gerald McCoy sign?

8 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

Is it me or does this seem like a bush league move by Tampa not to release him before the draft?

I thought the same thing when I saw that he had been released.  FA signing period had come and gone.  Most teams had spent their FA money. This really limited his options to sign elsewhere.  He had been a very good player and a good guy in the community.  I hope things work out for him but just not in our division.

4 hours ago, cle23 said:

Cleveland has been a 4-3 for 3 years already.

Always thought Gregggggggg was a 3-4 guy but yeah now that I have had my coffee they sure were

Report: Browns have “inquired” about Gerald McCoy

Posted by Josh Alper on May 22, 2019, 7:42 AM EDT

Before the Buccaneers released defensive tackle Gerald McCoy this week, there were reports that the Browns had shown interest in bringing him to Cleveland.

That interest has not waned since McCoy hit the open market. Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com reports that the team has “inquired” about McCoy’s interest in joining the team for the 2019 season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/22/report-browns-have-inquired-about-gerald-mccoy/

McCoy wants to play for a contender and get a good deal.  Cleveland has been poking around him for months and still has enough cap room to make it happen.  They’d have a great DT rotation with him.  McCoy seems to be giving them serious consideration.  One possible issue  is if he’d have to play 1 tech there.  He wants to stay at 3 tech.

Indy has a bunch of cap space and is in contention mode.  They have the advantage of an indoor stadium, but their DL is nothing compared to the Browns.  Still, they could go nuts with an offer.  

Seattle has to be in the mix.  They could sure use him and have the cap space to give him a good deal.  And they are definitely a team that’s in the playoff picture.  

I don’t see the Patriots having enough cap space to make it happen, but they could get creative.  Obviously have the SB thing going for them.  

The Rams have a need at DT and are a serious contender, but I don’t think they have the cap space or that it’s a perfect fit.  He’s a better player than Suh, but I don’t think he’d want to play 1 tech even if it’s next to Donald. 

I don’t like the Panthers at all in this, though I’ve seen them mentioned.  They have the cap space, but they’re not a definite contender.  Plus they have Short at 3 tech and Poe at 1.  McCoy would be relegated to rotational DT behind them.  It’s be a good fit to play passing downs and spelling Short, but I’d think he want to have a more prominent role and be the starter.

Lastly, the Bills.  I haven’t heard us mentioned much but let’s look anyway.  Cap space. Check.  Need.  We look a lot like the Panthers here.  Oliver is our 3 tech of the future.  We could start McCoy over Oliver and ease Oliver into things with a rotational role while Star fills 1 tech role on running downs.  Still, McCoy doesn’t want to play 1 tech.  And would we really want Oliver to split time between 1 and 3 techs rather than focusing on 3 tech?  I wouldn’t.  I think that takes us out of the running just like Carolina. 

Edited by BarleyNY

Report: Gerald McCoy drawing interest from 10 teams, offers reaching $11 million a year

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on May 24, 2019, 12:28 AM EDT

Being released in May hasn’t seemingly limited the market for former Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

According to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, McCoy has drawn interest from 10 teams with offers coming in up to $11 million per season. The amount of interest has reportedly “overwhelmed” McCoy and he appreciates the decision by the Glazer family to release him when they did.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/24/report-gerald-mccoy-drawing-interest-from-10-teams-offers-reaching-11-million-a-year/

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Report: Gerald McCoy drawing interest from 10 teams, offers reaching $11 million a year

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on May 24, 2019, 12:28 AM EDT

Being released in May hasn’t seemingly limited the market for former Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

According to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, McCoy has drawn interest from 10 teams with offers coming in up to $11 million per season. The amount of interest has reportedly “overwhelmed” McCoy and he appreciates the decision by the Glazer family to release him when they did.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/24/report-gerald-mccoy-drawing-interest-from-10-teams-offers-reaching-11-million-a-year/

The Bucs bring in Suh at 9.25 but offers for McCoy are reaching 11? Confused. Is he much better than Suh at this point or is it a scheme specific move?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I think that prices the Bills out.  And probably every other AFC East team as well.

Not that I advocate spending that much on a DT (one that would seem to fit at 3 technique and block Oliver), but if 10 teams (hard to believe) are in and the money is getting that big, doesn't that eliminate many OTHER teams that just don't have the space? I mean, in theory, we'd be one of the teams able to absorb that pretty easily on a short term deal. 

All that said, seems like an agent putting that buzz out there to try and create a bidding war. If everyone is so hot for him, why not offer up a late round pick over the last couple of months? Then you've got the guy signed and don't need to compete with others to get him in your building. 

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

The Bucs bring in Suh at 9.25 but offers for McCoy are reaching 11? Confused. Is he much better than Suh at this point or is it a scheme specific move?

Agree. Doesn't make much sense. I guess it's ultimately a scheme fit thing, with them moving to a 3-4 and Suh having played 5 technique last season. Still, looking purely at skillset, you'd think McCoy could just as easily fit as a 3-4 end, doesn't carry all the baggage Suh does, and from all accounts was a leader in that room. 

Must be something else we're unaware of. 

On 5/21/2019 at 12:23 AM, Patrick_Duffy said:

New England

Let's hope not,

I know buffalo is out of the question but i really think McCoy would've been the second best player in the whole league (first being Aaron Donald) for Oliver to learn from and to play next to for this up coming season. It would've be awesome to have the two on the field on obvious passing downs.