PFF rates Bills current OLmen

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Pretty though job of rating all of the OLmen currently under contract with the Bills.  There seems to be a huge emphasis on pass blocking over run blocking. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-examining-the-buffalo-bills-offensive-line-ahead-of-the-2019-nfl-season

That seemed to jump out with each signing. I guess they are all in on giving Josh the protection he needs to sit back and throw, rather than be forced to run for his life. Fingers crossed and time will tell! 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I’m not expecting the best line in football, but I’m thoroughly pleased with how they rebuilt that so quickly. We could have 5 potential upgrades on our O-line.. that’s insane!

Yeah. I’m certainly expecting a whole lot better from the OL as a whole.  Hopefully they get the line set quickly so they can gel a little. 

• Like (+1) 1

Almost anything would be an improvement over last season, but the guards still don't seem very impressive and based on the contracts they received, I don't think Beane is expecting a whole lot.  Overall , really need Dawkins to get back to rookie form and hope Ford can contribute as a rookie.

26 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Almost anything would be an improvement over last season, but the guards still don't seem very impressive and based on the contracts they received, I don't think Beane is expecting a whole lot.  Overall , really need Dawkins to get back to rookie form and hope Ford can contribute as a rookie.

I agree. I an sort of hoping either Ford or Dawkins end up inside. I think they'd solidy the line by doing that. Both would be very athletic guards and I think that is a big deal these days as the DT's get more and more athletic. Anything has to be better than last year but I still think this area can stand some upgrading with one or two highly regarded draft picks. Most of the signees were middling which is still better than the dregs of 2018.

My guesses:

Dawkins (left) and Nsekhe (right) at the tackle spots.  Ford could play his way into the right tackle spot, depending on how ready he is.  If that's the case, would have Nsekhe as a versatile backup.  

Center is obviously locked up by Morse and backed up by Bodine.  

The two guard spots seem the most up in the air.  Spain (left) likely will take one of them.  The other will be up for grabs, but I would guess Long ends up playing rg for the season.  It's possible we see Ford here too, but from what Beane said.. it would appear that they are going to try him at RT first.  

• Like (+1) 1

Rookie offensive lineman need more coaching up than any other position besides rookie QB

they practically live on the hip of the line coach... you get less personal time every year

It would be wise to coach Ford up in the position you have him pegged at... because playing guard and tackle are completely different and with a second round pick you want development... if you want him at guard then you stick him at guard now... if you have him pegged as a Tackle, you start coaching him up as a tackle.. you don’t want him bouncing around and potentially slowing development because the positions aren’t similar 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Cannot figure what order the ratings are.  Not alphabetical, rating, length if contract or experience which is odd.  And Long also plays guard.

Bills2.png

It's hard to take that grade sheet seriously when they have rookie UDFA Garrett McGhin getting a higher grade than Dawkins, or Nsekhe.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

It's hard to take that grade sheet seriously when they have rookie UDFA Garrett McGhin getting a higher grade than Dawkins, or Nsekhe.

He is being graded on college not on the pros, obviously. 

Imagine the number of times this offseason that the Bills OL is going to be discussed here  in an optimistic way..

Regardless of what combination they come up with, there  is not even the most remote chance that the OL is not improved from last season.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

That seemed to jump out with each signing. I guess they are all in on giving Josh the protection he needs to sit back and throw, rather than be forced to run for his life. Fingers crossed and time will tell! 

The Air Raiders !!!!

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Cannot figure what order the ratings are.  Not alphabetical, rating, length if contract or experience which is odd.  And Long also plays guard.

Bills2.png

Long plays both Center and Guard. He has played more Center in his career which is why he is listed there. Only reason he moved to Guard this past season is he had a hand injury which caused problems snapping and led to many fumbles.

I dont know if I am going to just trust the numbers, but I'll say there are two really nice things we haven't seen for a while:

1) competition will win out. There's too much talent around to have anyone (except maybe Morse) to be gifted a job.

2) Depth. How many seasons have we seen immediate drop off when someone is injured.

3) 6 O-line formations. Ok, this is a guess, but they were effective with Roman. We are still a heavy run game team, so we can bulk up, or give extra protection.