LeVeon Bell - On trading block already? Bills mentioned

8 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Absolutely none of this makes sense. Why would the Jets trade him without playing a down for them and why would they trade to Buffalo? Even the Jets are not that stupid... Are they?

Because Gase is the interim GM and it's been widely reported that the GM was fired due to difference of opinion with Gase on moves made. And one of the major differences was signing Bell. Gase doesn't like Bell at all.

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Exactly. If the Bills or any other team were interested, they should have signed him. Maybe acquiring him via trade would leave the Jets on the hook for some of the $? Have no idea on that. The TRADE market would be extremely slim. Maybe a 6th or a 7th.

Actually - he now becomes affordable for the price most teams seemed to value him at.

The Jets paid 12 million of the guaranteed money - that leaves essentially the 4 years and under 40 million or just under 10 million per season - I believe.

It actually makes him much more trade-able because his annual cost is significantly lower - I can see a higher round pick (2nd/3rd) for him or maybe more for a team that thinks this moves them to late in the round.

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....AGREE....ain't enough Excedrin on the planet to cure this headache.......let 'em sufferwith Gase................

Based upon the Sabres signing Krueger, who also had experience dealing with a soccer organization, what say we suggest Darcy Regier to Johnson and Johnson as the new GM of the Jests?!  Let those Gang Green fans really know what suffering is!  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Because they pay 12 million guaranteed less. You get him for just 13 million guaranteed! you are not on the hook for the signing bonus.

I wonder if that makes him worth a 1st then? You’re basically getting the best offensive player in football for $13 million.

That seems like a no brainer. 

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I’d assume that it’ll be next year that they try to move him. You just can’t justify it this fast

The issue is now is in reality about the best time they can move him before 2020.  

If you play him this year (especially with that o-line and coach) there are 3 scenarios and really none lead to trades.

1. If he plays bad to mediocre (most likely scenario in my mind) - no one is going to want to part with anything of value because he looked bad and is super expensive.

2. If he plays great - just like with Pittsburgh- he will have shown value and the new FO won’t trade him (nor should they) - they just eat the contract because it is done.

3. He plays average - middle of the league - his contract next year is 15 million ( even factoring in the signing bonus - he will be one of the top paid backs coming off an average year - I do not think they get much in options, but maybe they can work a trade (huge dead money for them though)

The way I see it for the Jets is they either trade him now before anyone knows what he is like as a player and eat the 12 million to get back salary cap for the future or he is a Jet through the 2020 where they can either cut him or maybe trade to get something small back.  One year has very little chance of working unless they blow it up and try to restart.

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

He missed all of last season sitting out.  I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a hammy during preseason and winds up being no better than a 6oo yd rusher for the Jets.

Why? Because he didn't stretch in training camp?  He's 400 touches fresher than he normally would've been.  

I'm not a fan of how the backfield looks just based on age, not production. I love the Singletary move in the 3rd round and his game. That said I'm even less of a fan for over-paying a self-entitled jerk whose position does not warrant above replacement level money. I'll take the Bills slightly aged backfield with the new jack in Singletary and hope after this season, the Bills can get younger on the whole. Oh, not to mention Yeldon. To me, Yeldon and Singletary make one heck of a 1-2 punch, plus Gore and Shady. Add in another 4th round RB next year and that's Yeldon, Singletary, and Rookie RB....that'll do. That is a much better plan than paying Bell and his selfish b.s. Hard pass!

It could be as simple as Adam Gase being Chip Kelly.  It doesn't have to make sense.  

Or Bell continues to be overweight and out of shape and the team is nervous.  There were reports earlier this year he was up to 260+ lbs.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Wow, how idiotic would the Jets have to be to trade a guy they just signed (and paid a huge signing bonus) to a division rival? Nobody could be that dumb, right? Right!?

Well they were dumb enough to spend $85M on an inside LB with no cover skills, so who knows?

Come to think of it, they were also dumb enough to hire Gase.

1 hour ago, stony said:

Why? Because he didn't stretch in training camp?  He's 400 touches fresher than he normally would've been.  

He's also a year older.  My point is he may not have taken a season's worth of hits but he's also not in 'game shape'.  Just watch.

11 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billwilliamson/2019/05/20/teams-that-make-sense-for-leveon-bell-if-jets-trade-him/#3c56a519d1e1

I wouldnt give up a first rounder - but a second? Maybe. But only if in the OTAs the Bills feel Shady has lost a step. Five year 40 mill is a steal for Bell. 

Jets would be foolish to trade him to us - but who else needs him AND has cap space AND draft capital?

The Colts.