Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
IgotBILLStopay

LeVeon Bell - On trading block already? Bills mentioned

Recommended Posts

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billwilliamson/2019/05/20/teams-that-make-sense-for-leveon-bell-if-jets-trade-him/#3c56a519d1e1

 

Quote

Buffalo: The Bills were connected to Bell in free agency and they could use a lead back. They have $27 million in salary-cap room and could easily afford Bell. The Bills are one of the most improved teams in the NFL this offseason. They could put pressure on New England in the AFC East with a move like this. But would the Jets deal Bell within their own division? That might be the sticking point.

 

I wouldnt give up a first rounder - but a second? Maybe. But only if in the OTAs the Bills feel Shady has lost a step. Five year 40 mill is a steal for Bell. 

 

Jets would be foolish to trade him to us - but who else needs him AND has cap space AND draft capital?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He seems like the type to fall off once he gets paid. Pass. I like what we’re building without him. 

  • Like (+1) 25
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billwilliamson/2019/05/20/teams-that-make-sense-for-leveon-bell-if-jets-trade-him/#3c56a519d1e1

 

 

I wouldnt give up a first rounder - but a second? Maybe. But only if in the OTAs the Bills feel Shady has lost a step. Five year 40 mill is a steal for Bell. 

 

Jets would be foolish to trade him to us - but who else needs him AND has cap space AND draft capital?

 

This is speculation of the most speculative, based on rumors Gase wasn't "all in" on the big contract Bell was given. 

IF the NYJ were to throw $12M down the crapper by trading him before he plays a down, who MIGHT they trade him to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely none of this makes sense. Why would the Jets trade him without playing a down for them and why would they trade to Buffalo? Even the Jets are not that stupid... Are they?

  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

This is speculation of the most speculative, based on Gase's comments.  IF the NYJ were to throw $12M down the crapper by trading him before he plays a down.

Of course it is speculation. Most of what we read in the media is speculation.

 

The facts appear to be these:

 

Gase did have a difference of opinion with Maccagnan over Bell's compensation. Given that Bell is unlikely to be Gase's ally. Gase has incentives to make at least some changes to the roster - so if Jets do well - he doesnt have to give Mike Mac the credit. The coaching staff also appears pissed that Bell has been a no-show so far. SO the New York Media puts all that together and says hey! if we are to trade Bell, who do we trade him to and what do we get. I dont see anything wrong with that.

 

That said - the writer is not suggesting giving up Bell for nothing within months of signing. He is expecting that the Jets receive some draft compensation for the signing bonus, no? Maybe you missed that.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No team would trade for him. If they didn't think he was worth the money then, why would they want him for the same money plus draft capital?

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Absolutely none of this makes sense. Why would the Jets trade him without playing a down for them and why would they trade to Buffalo? Even the Jets are not that stupid... Are they?

 

While I agree with you, Gase is terrible and might just be that stupid.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, how idiotic would the Jets have to be to trade a guy they just signed (and paid a huge signing bonus) to a division rival? Nobody could be that dumb, right? Right!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is mainly click-bait. If they do deal him it’ll at least be after this season. Honestly if they move him after one year, it’ll be more likely he’s cut than traded. 

 

I think hell struggle having a year off, supposedly being out of shape, and playing a patient running style behind a bad offensive line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Watkins101 said:

No team would trade for him. If they didn't think he was worth the money then, why would they want him for the same money plus draft capital?

Exactly. If the Bills or any other team were interested, they should have signed him. Maybe acquiring him via trade would leave the Jets on the hook for some of the $? Have no idea on that. The TRADE market would be extremely slim. Maybe a 6th or a 7th.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

No team would trade for him. If they didn't think he was worth the money then, why would they want him for the same money plus draft capital?

Because they pay 12 million guaranteed less. You get him for just 13 million guaranteed! you are not on the hook for the signing bonus.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

No team would trade for him. If they didn't think he was worth the money then, why would they want him for the same money plus draft capital?

Sure they would. The Jets already paid a big portion of his salary, so they'd be getting him for a lot less.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Exactly. If the Bills or any other team were interested, they should have signed him. Maybe acquiring him via trade would leave the Jets on the hook for some of the $? Have no idea on that. The TRADE market would be extremely slim. Maybe a 6th or a 7th.

I believe he'd be in McCoy's range for annual salary after the Jets already paid a big portion of the guarenteed money.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds a little half baked to me. Why would we want him? He certainly doesn't seem to be a team or McDermott type player. Besides, I feel the Bills did quite well with Singletary...give this kid a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Of course it is speculation. Most of what we read in the media is speculation.

 

The facts appear to be these:

 

Gase did have a difference of opinion with Maccagnan over Bell's compensation. Given that Bell is unlikely to be Gase's ally. Gase has incentives to make at least some changes to the roster - so if Jets do well - he doesnt have to give Mike Mac the credit. The coaching staff also appears pissed that Bell has been a no-show so far. SO the New York Media puts all that together and says hey! if we are to trade Bell, who do we trade him to and what do we get. I dont see anything wrong with that.

 

That said - the writer is not suggesting giving up Bell for nothing within months of signing. He is expecting that the Jets receive some draft compensation for the signing bonus, no? Maybe you missed that.

 

The point is, there is speculation that has some basis in fact.  The idea that the Vikes might try to trade Rudolph, for example - Vikes need cap space, they've been talking with Rudolph's agent about re-negotiating his contract, and those talks have reportedly stalled.  Yes, it's speculation.

 

Then there is this.

I think the first sentence you list under "facts" is felt to be a fact (I don't know - haven't heard a quote from Gase, just reports from various NY media pundits).
It's also a fact that Bell has been in Florida training during voluntary OTAs.

 

Everything else in there, I don't think meets the general criteria of fact.  It's speculation that Bell won't be Gase's ally or that Gase is incentivised to change the roster by throwing $12M spent on a potential difference-maker on offense away.  Sure, the NY media can read between the lines all they like, but that doesn't make it a fact

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bell will not look like Bell playing behind the Jets OLine vs the Steelers. He used to just wait for things to clear out, then go. He’ll be dead meat more often than not I suspect with that approach in NJ. Patience is a virtue, except in the NFL for a RB with no blocking. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Bell will not look like Bell playing behind the Jets OLine vs the Steelers. He used to just wait for things to clear out, then go. He’ll be dead meat more often than not I suspect with that approach in NJ. Patience is a virtue, except in the NFL for a RB with no blocking. 

That's the theory. Or he'll be really good. I guess we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MJS said:

That's the theory. Or he'll be really good. I guess we'll see.

 

I’m hoping my theory is correct!!!   😋

 

But time will tell, indeed! 

 

In the meantime, I’m hoping he looks like Shady from last year. “What do you expect???” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sure they would. The Jets already paid a big portion of his salary, so they'd be getting him for a lot less.

I believe he'd be in McCoy's range for annual salary after the Jets already paid a big portion of the guarenteed money.

 

Close.  I looked it up on Spotrac.  $6.9M.  But the Jets have $12.4M in already-paid signing bonus and roster bonus for this year they would not recoup.

That's a big chunk of change for a draft pick.  And his salary/cap hit would go up quickly...$13.5M next year without the signing bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Augie said:

I’m hoping my theory is correct!!!   

 

But time will tell, indeed! 

I still think he'd be an asset for any team. He doesn't always wait. He hits the hole hard often too. Just when he doesn't see anything he is more patient than most backs. It's like another tool in the belt. He's just nowhere near worth the money he got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

While I agree with you, Gase is terrible and might just be that stupid.

 

You know, since he's still coaching in our division....Hope he is!

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billwilliamson/2019/05/20/teams-that-make-sense-for-leveon-bell-if-jets-trade-him/#3c56a519d1e1

 

 

I wouldnt give up a first rounder - but a second? Maybe. But only if in the OTAs the Bills feel Shady has lost a step. Five year 40 mill is a steal for Bell. 

 

Jets would be foolish to trade him to us - but who else needs him AND has cap space AND draft capital?

If the Bills were going to give up any draft compensation, wouldn’t they have just outbid the Jets in the first place 🤔

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bills2ref said:

If the Bills were going to give up any draft compensation, wouldn’t they have just outbid the Jets in the first place 🤔

 

Is the money the Jets are going to bw on the hook for worth a draft pick or two though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wow, how idiotic would the Jets have to be to trade a guy they just signed (and paid a huge signing bonus) to a division rival? Nobody could be that dumb, right? Right!?

 

I’d assume that it’ll be next year that they try to move him. You just can’t justify it this fast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...