Bengals move Cordy Glenn to Guard

8 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Dawkins played guard at Temple and in the Senior Bowl. Nsekhe has played both tackle and guard positions in college and for the Redskins.

Cody Ford was a 4 star guard recruit out of high school and played guard his first 2 years of college as well.

Dawkins played all but 3 of his college games at left tackle. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dawkins played all but 3 of his college games at left tackle. 

So he played guard at Temple and in the Senior Bowl. He played mostly tackle but was projected to play guard in the pros by many. I was merely saying that he, Nsekhe, and Ford have all played the position.

I expect Ford to be the one to move inside for his first year. 

Just now, Turk71 said:

So he played guard at Temple and in the Senior Bowl. He played mostly tackle but was projected to play guard in the pros by many. I was merely saying that he, Nsekhe, and Ford have all played the position.

I expect Ford to be the one to move inside for his first year. 

Nope the games he didn't play left tackle at Temple he played right tackle (that was as a freshman I believe). He did play guard at the Senior Bowl and was projected by many as a guard at the NFL level (and on the couple of drives we got to see him there as a rookie he flashed major potential). I had both he and Ford graded as interior offensive linemen with tackle flex coming out. Ford did play guard in college though up until his final year when he was moved to right tackle. 

Personally I don't think any of Dawkins, Ford or Nsekhe play guard for the Bills in 2019 barring injuries. I think two of those three are your starting tackles and the third will be the swing tackle. Quinton Spain and one of Spencer Long and Feliciano will be the starting guards. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Nope the games he didn't play left tackle at Temple he played right tackle (that was as a freshman I believe). He did play guard at the Senior Bowl and was projected by many as a guard at the NFL level (and on the couple of drives we got to see him there as a rookie he flashed major potential). I had both he and Ford graded as interior offensive linemen with tackle flex coming out. Ford did play guard in college though up until his final year when he was moved to right tackle. 

Personally I don't think any of Dawkins, Ford or Nsekhe play guard for the Bills in 2019 barring injuries. I think two of those three are your starting tackles and the third will be the swing tackle. Quinton Spain and one of Spencer Long and Feliciano will be the starting guards. 

Thnx for that info. I knew about the Senior Bowl and just assumed he had prior experience.  I still think Ford is more of an instant starter on the interior than at tackle. His footwork needs improvement in pass pro for the pros I remember reading. He, unlike Dawkins, has only played one year of tackle. However it shakes out I am glad they have more talent on the o line.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think the Bengals will be one of the worst teams in the league this year. New coach will be way in over his head ala Steve Wilks. Plus John Miller. 

I think more than this year - I think for the foreseeable future they are going to struggle.  That is a pretty good division (minus the Bengals) and they have bad facilities and an owner that is not a favorite of the players.

They are a hard sell right now.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think more than this year - I think for the foreseeable future they are going to struggle.  That is a pretty good division (minus the Bengals) and they have bad facilities and an owner that is not a favorite of the players.

They are a hard sell right now.

To be honest as much as it was time for a change from Magic Marvin people shouldn't forget what an absolute shambles that franchise was for over a decade before he arrived. they were relevant for a good chunk of his period there and I expect now he has gone they will fall back to irrelevance pretty quickly.

I know we like to talk about process, but boy Bengals process is bad. Use numerous high draft picks on offensive linemen who have flaws, Jake Fisher, Ogbuehi, Bobby Hart. Use a top ten pick on a guy who runs fast but can't do much else and was and is always hurt. Swap first round picks with the Bills for a franchise LT, highly paid, and move him to guard to accommodate your next highly drafted tackle who has flaws. Use a first round pick on an injured center who is more suited to guard in Billy Price (he was terrible btw.) Resign Bobby Hart and get prized free agent John Miller, both for pretty significant money. Their process is a mess imo and they are headed to a bad place. 

This is example A of how spending high draft picks on "the trenches," isn't always a great idea. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Virgil said:

In one of the articles I read, the Bengals weren't happy with Glenn's production at LT last year and was a liability at times.  Hence part of the reasoning for the move and draft pick.

Sounds like a great example of Beane getting ahead of something again

Glenn's play had dropped off quite a bit until Incognito was next to him and then his play picked up somewhat. Those foot/ankle injuries looked to be ongoing as he missed games for the Bengals for the same reasons as he missed most of the 2017 season for Buffalo. 

Beane does know what he is doing it seems, unlike his many predecessors. 

One another note, new Bengals HC Zac Taylor watched how it was done in LA with Rams HC Sean McVay. I think this was a better hire then the Cards in hiring a college coach who was fired because he couldn't win. So now they think he will build a winner in the NFL? Moving Glenn to OG and drafting Williams was a smart move as that Bengals O line was not that good under Lewis. However, the bigger problem of that team might be the defense.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know we like to talk about process, but boy Bengals process is bad. Use numerous high draft picks on offensive linemen who have flaws, Jake Fisher, Ogbuehi, Bobby Hart. Use a top ten pick on a guy who runs fast but can't do much else and was and is always hurt. Swap first round picks with the Bills for a franchise LT, highly paid, and move him to guard to accommodate your next highly drafted tackle who has flaws. Use a first round pick on an injured center who is more suited to guard in Billy Price (he was terrible btw.) Resign Bobby Hart and get prized free agent John Miller, both for pretty significant money. Their process is a mess imo and they are headed to a bad place. 

This is example A of how spending high draft picks on "the trenches," isn't always a great idea. 

The bigger thing was refusing to pay Andrew Whitworth, who WANTED to stay with the Bengals but they wouldn’t give him a decent contract because he was past 30.... then sucking so bad at LT in 2017 they they turned around and traded draft assets for Glenn’s contract — and they paid him more than Whitworth last year, lmao

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

No ill take Josh Allen over Cordy

I will too.

However Bills still easily could have traded other assets and kept Glenn and drafted Allen. Probably would have taken a 5th rounder or a swapping of positions in 2nd or 3rd round round to make up for the Glenn asset involved moving up for Allen.

I would take Glenn as a guard right now for a 5th rounder or the swap.

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

I will too.

However Bills still easily could have traded other assets and kept Glenn and drafted Allen. Probably would have taken a 5th rounder or a swapping of positions in 2nd or 3rd round round to make up for the Glenn asset involved moving up for Allen.

I would take Glenn as a guard right now for a 5th rounder or the swap.

Glenn cost the equivalent of a mid 2nd rounder to do the swap so your math doesn't add up.

In retrospect, who wouldn't trade an expensive guard with a recent injury history for a mid 2nd rounder?