Bengals move Cordy Glenn to Guard

Since Cordy's still being paid like a LT ($9.5 million per year through 2020), a move to an easier position like LG probably's no big deal for him.   When he hits UFA in 2021, he'll only be 31 years old and can show teams he can play both positions...

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can Glenn not play on the right side?

Did we not agree not to phrase thoughts in such a negative way as to imply an inability?  After all, we’re not that far removed from the ‘No Croom can catch / No, Croom can catch’ comma debacle.  ?

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree with this post except the bolded. I would prefer a RT to be a bit more of a bruiser but that is jmo.

What I will day is that if you are correct about Jonah playing at the level of a Matthews (or better), Oliver will have to be an excellent player (he very well might be) for this to have been a smart pick for the Bills. It will be interesting to watch this play out.

How do you want him to feel?

I have no doubt that Oliver will be exceptional. 

While it's not unthinkable that Dawkins could move inside, I think people are giving up on him too fast.

First of all, while he DID regress last season, it's not as if he was outright terrible. Secondly, let's remember that he played next to some AWFUL left guards, which surely affected his play negatively. The lack of a quality center and, thus, the lack of cohesion and correct line calls all season probably ALSO negatively affected him. Last but not least, he has said himself that this last season was a real wake-up call, and that we will all be seeing a new and improved Dion Dawkins.

I also don't think the coaching staff would want to just give up on their young left tackle so easily. In an ideal world, I'm sure they'd prefer that he stay at LT and succeed at that position. Otherwise, Franchise LT is back on the list of needs going into next season.

Finally, the presence of a 33-year-old journeyman swing tackle on the roster likely won't affect Dawkins' status on the roster as much as the presence of an incoming first round LT (Jonah Williams) affected Cordy Glenn in Cinci. The ONLY thing that will throw a wrench into everything I just posted is if Nsekhe is far and away the best player on the field at LT, thus forcing the hand of the coaching staff with regard to who starts at that position.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, teef said:

i have a 4 year old and a 1 year old.  if we show too much attention to the 1 year old, the 4 year old gets bent out of shape.  i think we may have something similar going on here.

Dude you need a slump buster.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can Glenn not play on the right side?

I think the trend in the league is to put more of your run blockers on the right. While teams want to be flexible, I think better pass blockers, even at the guard position, stay on the left with right handed QBs. 

A lot of people were projecting Glenn as more of a guard or RT coming out of college which is why he fell to early round 2. Obviously he was one of the better LT’s in the league from 2012 to 2015 (and fairly healthy as he started most of his games in 2012 to 2013 and started all 16 games in 2014-2015.)

But unfortunately for the Bills Glenn got hurt in 2016 and again in 2017 (although whenever he was on the field he was still a good player.) So I think after the Bengals couldn’t keep him on the field in 2018 it is probably a good idea for them to put the rookie Williams at LT and kick Glenn next to him. Hopefully Cordy can revive his career as a guard. I think if Glenn can stay healthy at guard the Bengals O-line could be greatly improved. The Bengals spent their 2018 and 2019 first round picks along the O-line (J.Williams and B.Price) if both those players can round into form and Glenn gives them some solid play I think things will turn around for them quick. 

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

They said he was a guard when he got drafted

Before the draft one scout said that Glenn has enough quickness to play in a zone-blocking scheme. He definitely has the power to be in man scheme. Glenn would be his most dominant if he played guard or right tackle in the NFL. After a stellar collegiate career with good tape and a big time skill set, Glenn looks like a first-round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012cglenn.php#ixzz5oV7b4Lb2

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012cglenn.php#sulfBb53W3dUQdxG.99

I still remember Buddy having an argument on draft day that he was a tackle not a guard.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

That IS interesting..

I’m not sure Dawkins nor Nsekhe could do it..

I’m not sure Cordy can either! I mean, if he’s never healthy enough to get on the field, does it really count? If a tree falls in the forest.......

I guess Cordy already got paid, so maybe it’s easier to play G if you’re paid like a LT? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not sure Cordy can either! I mean, if he’s never healthy enough to get on the field, does it really count? If a tree falls in the forest.......

I guess Cordy already got paid, so maybe it’s easier to play G if you’re paid like a LT? 

I'm willing to be paid like a LT to sit on the sidelines and eat hot dogs.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

A bengals reporter said after the draft that J Williams told teams he would only play LT  and not to draft him if they wanted him elsewhere on the OL

So glad the Bills did NOT pick him. There were a lot of "experts" swearing we would land him. That's not the McBeane attitude. Would not have fit the culture. 

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm willing to be paid like a LT to sit on the sidelines and eat hot dogs.

Was it Moulds who had a pizza delivered to practice in college???

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

but they have john miller playing guard? and clint boling? you'd think they'd move glenn to right tackle. 

John Miller playing Guard... think about that statement.  I‘d try Cordy at Guard too.  Miller is a baaaaad baaaaad Player