OTA Attendance

1 hour ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

Me, the fan, would like to give them some space to work on things in private.

Giving them some space was not what I was responding to, rather the premise that the media should be given as little access as possible. 

58 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

It's not about engaging the fans, it's about not tipping your hand to your opponents.

not to be snarky , but what scouts are watching 1st day of ota for the Buffalo Bills ? nothing to learn really is there ?
Patriots have someone there. its what they do .

insidious.

: )

7 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Giving them some space was not what I was responding to, rather the premise that the media should be given as little access as possible. 

i thought it was humor.. Maybe not : )
 they are not doing installs already are they ?

I think this is a great time for press releases and some chunks of video. Let the wild speculation begin !!
 and we can also chide and berate as many reporters as possible for being opinionated : )
feed us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

It's not about engaging the fans, it's about not tipping your hand to your opponents.

$nyder did a lot of engaging of fans and their pocketbooks but did not understand that if you charge that means teams can send their scouts and their camera men to practices.

2 hours ago, chris heff said:

The NFL is in the entertainment business, why would ownership deny media access? They went so far as to create their own network. We the fans pay everyone involved, the owners, the coaches, the front office, the back office and the players. Why would you not want the fans engaged? 

Fans engage in the games. Those are the real events. They really have little to gain by providing access to all the behind the scenes stuff.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Fans engage in the games. Those are the real events. They really have little to gain by providing access to all the behind the scenes stuff.

If that were true why did the league create a network to talk about team news for hours every day? Why hold a huge media event for the draft? The NFL wants you the fan not only to watch the games, but watch their network, watch the draft, watch video from training camp and watch preseason games, which are really just practice. 

9 minutes ago, chris heff said:

If that were true why did the league create a network to talk about team news for hours every day? Why hold a huge media event for the draft? The NFL wants you the fan not only to watch the games, but watch their network, watch the draft, watch video from training camp and watch preseason games, which are really just practice. 

this about covers it.
NFL wants us fans involved 360 some days a year.

Now about those OTAs ? 

14 minutes ago, chris heff said:

90% of what's on those shows, as far as any given team is concerned, are pure speculation and fluff pieces.

There's a reason coaches never really say anything at press conferences.

18 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Exactly, who was there? What were they wearing? 

and was Tyree able to hit the press tent on a deep out. got a big arm i heard

18 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

90% of what's on those shows, as far as any given team is concerned, are pure speculation and fluff pieces.

cuz they are shy ?

23 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

So if the NFL is not in the entertainment business what is it? Why not do all of it in secret? No sports writers, no pregame or post game analysis, no advertising. Play the games at undisclosed locations. I’ve never understood why coaches act like ***** at press conferences. 

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, chris heff said:

So if the NFL is not in the entertainment business what is it? Why not do all of it in secret? No sports writers, no pregame or post game analysis, no advertising. Play the games at undisclosed locations. I’ve never understood why coaches act like ***** at press conferences. 

I didn't say it wasn't entertainment. Obviously, as a league, they have to keep the fans happy. But individual teams should focus on winning, so any information* that could give other teams an edge is kept quiet.

The media coverage is part of the entertainment, but for the most part, it's mindless entertainment. Just like when the reporters talk to the coaches as they go into the locker room at halftime. "What are you going to do in the second half, Coach?" "We're gonna keep doing what we've been doing well, and we're gonna have to do better at what we haven't done well." Does anyone expect him to give away the game plan or the halftime adjustments? 

* See the thread a couple of weeks ago about Belichick having an assistant for virtually every detail.

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Yet most the training camp practices are open to the media and public....

Edited by Mrbojanglezs

3 hours ago, chris heff said:

The NFL, sure, but not the coaches. Not the GM. Their job isn't to entertain you or engage the fans. Their job isn't to sell tickets. Their job is to build a team and win games. They aren't in the entertainment business. So I can see why they might want to reduce the distraction and outside noise because that doesn't help them win football games. And if they don't win, no matter how entertaining they are, they'll be fired. So entertaining the fans is probably nowhere near their priority list.

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

So, shows like Hard Knocks do so well...

Yeah, and how many teams line up to be on those shows? Most of them are forced into it from league mandates. The coaches and the GM just want to focus on their job, which is winning football games, not adding distraction. Now the league, of course, is all about entertainment and engaging the fans. But there's a difference between the league and the team football operation leaders.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

The NFL, sure, but not the coaches. Not the GM. Their job isn't to entertain you or engage the fans. Their job isn't to sell tickets. Their job is to build a team and win games. They aren't in the entertainment business. So I can see why they might want to reduce the distraction and outside noise because that doesn't help them win football games. And if they don't win, no matter how entertaining they are, they'll be fired. So entertaining the fans is probably nowhere near their priority list.

Yeah, and how many teams line up to be on those shows? Most of them are forced into it from league mandates. The coaches and the GM just want to focus on their job, which is winning football games, not adding distraction. Now the league, of course, is all about entertainment and engaging the fans. But there's a difference between the league and the team football operation leaders.

All of them get paid by dollars generated by entertainment, if your premise is correct the coaches should do their job for free.

I believe on One Bills Live it was stated that the attendance of Bills players was very good.   I'm not sure how they would have learned that, and it wasn't specific, but it's something at least.

41 minutes ago, chris heff said:

All of them get paid by dollars generated by entertainment, if your premise is correct the coaches should do their job for free.

I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous argument. I understand MJS' point. The coaches, and the GM, and the players, for that matter, have chosen to do something for a living, which is football. The entertainment industry supplies the money that gets them paid, sure. And, in fact, most, if not all of them started in the sport for free. But, why would the people on the field worry about ratings? To your earlier point-- "The NFL wants you the fan not only to watch the games, but watch their network, watch the draft, watch video from training camp and watch preseason games, which are really just practice,"-- well what they really want is to sell commercial spots. They want as high a viewership as possible to make those commercial time slots as profitable as possible. Do you think the coaches and players care about that? It's not their job. Other people deal with that. Football is their job.