Will Chad Kelly Make it now that he has another shot with the Colts??

What does "make it" mean? He's a backup caliber QB, so if he works hard and stays out of trouble he could be a backup in the league for a long time. If not, he won't.

If I remember correctly, he was right in the middle of a QB controversy when he went off the deep end (for the 5th? time).

He was in the perfect spot in Denver, but he ruined it. Now his best bet is to be QB3 and pray for two injuries. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He won’t make it because the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. If you are ALWAYS going to be in trouble you better have Josh Gordon’s talent. No one is going to keep a 3rd QB around that is as likely to be in jail as he is to be on the field.

That is almost how I feel. I think that he does (or did) have NFL talent but he may have already squandered it.

In the thread about EJ, I made the point about how I still think that RJ was a mega talent who just could not produce at the NFL level and he really tried. With Kelly, my bet is that his opportunity came and went.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No.

Kelly has marginal talent as it is without al his other issues.  This sure looks like a Frank Reich gift to his friend but that wont extend into the real playing season.

If you watched many SEC games, calling him a marginal talent is a bit harsh.  His behavior has always been the issue with him.  By many accounts, he was coddled and many people looked the other way during his many transgressions.  They didn't do the kid any good.  If he is able to stay sober and out of trouble, he may still carve out a career as a backup.  I doubt that any owner will ever give him the keys to a franchise. 

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I doubt he makes the 53.  Anyone know if Chad has any PS eligibility left?

PS rules make my head hurt.  I believe he does:

• Each team can keep 10 players on its practice squad. Eight teams are allowed an 11th player as part of the league’s International Player Development Program.
  • Up to four of those 10 players can have two accrued NFL seasons. So, was a player on the 53-man roster for at least six games of two NFL seasons? Sorry, they’re out of luck.
  • It used to be that three weeks of an NFL season spent on a practice squad counted as one full season of practice squad eligibility. Now, that number has been increased to six weeks, which expands some players’ eligibility.
  • A player can spend no more than three seasons on any practice squad.

He spent 2017 on the "non football injury" list and most of 2018 on the practice squad, so only one accrued season.

47 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

If you watched many SEC games, calling him a marginal talent is a bit harsh.  His behavior has always been the issue with him.  By many accounts, he was coddled and many people looked the other way during his many transgressions.  They didn't do the kid any good.  If he is able to stay sober and out of trouble, he may still carve out a career as a backup.  I doubt that any owner will ever give him the keys to a franchise. 

Yeah might be right but his greatest play in college, the long TD vs Alabama should have been an interception. He played almost exclusively out of the shotgun, he is a bold player that, imo, takes way too many risks,  dumb decisions,  I dont think he is smart enough to play in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

My opinion is "no."

And I will also opine that this latest "chance," is not deserved.

I don't know what has been going on in his life since the Denver incident but I am inclined to agree.  I don't think it is a coincident that Frank Reich is the one giving him another shot.  However, I do hope he makes the best of it.  No pressure playing being Luck right now.

7 minutes ago, HT02 said:

I don't know what has been going on in his life since the Denver incident but I am inclined to agree.  I don't think it is a coincident that Frank Reich is the one giving him another shot.  However, I do hope he makes the best of it.  No pressure playing being Luck right now.

Yeah .. he's walking into a good Luck situation, for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2