Pete Carroll: NFL should decrease use of instant replay

HOUSE

6 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I think they should get rid of SLOW MOTION replay.

Any replay on TV/reviews should be at the same speed that it is seen on the field

Agreed, real time replays. If you can't overturn in real time, it isn't indisputable.

1 hour ago, Josh "Real Deal" Allen said:

What you don't like watching a review of a 5 yard pass to the sideline in the first quarter like Rex did? <sarcasm>

Doug Pederson once challenged 2 yards of field position on 2nd down. Nowhere near the first down marker. This was during his first season and I was convinced he was a bust. Not so much.

As to the OP; Such archaic thinking. I support any measure to get the calls correct. The officials are not part of the game and that's a ridiculous argument. The players, and the players alone, should determine the outcome.

Edited by LSHMEAB

8 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I think they should get rid of SLOW MOTION replay.

Any replay on TV/reviews should be at the same speed that it is seen on the field

Your take is one of the more bizarre I’ve ever read.

Why don’t you just advocate for making them watch it in a faster speed if you don’t want to get calls right?

I agree with him. It frustrates the hell out of me always having a paused celebration. TD signal used to mean something. Now you get the signal, then wait, wait longer. Replay is still often just as inconclusive and frustrating depending on the outlook of the viewer and what they want. Example, MCM.

Edited by KzooMike

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Doug Pederson once challenged 2 yards of field position on 2nd down. Nowhere near the first down marker. This was during his first season and I was convinced he was a bust. Not so much.

As to the OP; Such archaic thinking. I support any measure to get the calls correct. The officials are not part of the game and that's a ridiculous argument. The players, and the players alone, should determine the outcome.

The goal should be to make the officials invisible IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Image result for pete carroll
facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: May 20, 2019 at 09:01 a.m.

Pete Carroll would like to stuff the genie back into the bottle.

The Seattle Seahawks head coach wants to return to the days before instant replay, or at least lessen the amount replay is used.

Peter King, in his Football Morning In America column this week, polled 25 people asking one thing they'd like to change about football. Carroll suggested killing instant replay.

"Get rid of -- or at least decrease the use of -- instant replay," Carroll said. "I get all the reasons why we have instant replay, and technology has opened up a new world for us to get to this point. But I miss the human element of trusting the officials to make the calls in the moment and then the rest of us having to live with what they called. It was both fun and frustrating, but I really liked the game better when the officials were just as much a part of the game as the players."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001031249/article/pete-carroll-nfl-should-decrease-use-of-instant-replay

Because that is what we really need...

Trusting the officials more (at all) to make the right calls and having them being just as much a part of the game as the players (who doesn't love it when there is officiating after each play?).

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Because that is what we really need...

Trusting the officials more (at all) to make the right calls and having them being just as much a part of the game as the players (who doesn't love it when there is officiating after each play?).

giphy.gif

I don’t like the notion that refs are not just as much a part of the game as they always were. They call defensive holding on 3rd and 15 in the last two minutes. They start a game winning drive with a holding call. They drastically alter the outcome of every game based on judgement decisions. In the pursuit of perfection, something that will never be attained, we have slowed the game down and made it less enjoyable. More calls are right, just as many remain disputed based on who the viewer is. If a guy looks like he catches the ball and two arms get thrown in the air, damn it, I want to get off my butt in a good mood and grab a beer. Not wait 10 minutes for validation. 

I understand why replay is in place and I imagine my opinion changes if the Bills got screwed in a critical moment and the play was corrected. But then again isn’t the music city miracle exactly what my point is meant to capture? Most here thought we got screwed. We had replay. What was the outcome on that? It will never be perfect. Introducing pure judgement calls is scary. 

Edited by KzooMike

5 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Replay, to me, is meant as a tool of correction for egregiously incorrect calls. If you need to look at ten slow speed angles for 7+ minutes, it isn’t egregiously incorrect, it is minute. At the very least, there absolutely needs to be a “replay clock” where they only get 2-3 minutes to look at it. Still looking when time expires? Call on the field stands. 

That's how it's always sold to gullible fans.   Yet somehow it turns into 'every scoring play' and 'every turnover' and you have goals in playoff hockey games overturned

because a guy who was still getting back to the bench after his shift was 'Offside' (answer me this "get it right" crowd:  why doesn't the NHL get it right and use reply to call too many men on the ice six thousand times a season?)  

2-3 minutes?  If you can't tell within 10 seconds it wasn't an egregiously incorrect call.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

That's how it's always sold to gullible fans.   Yet somehow it turns into 'every scoring play' and 'every turnover' and you have goals in playoff hockey games overturned

because a guy who was still getting back to the bench after his shift was 'Offside' (answer me this "get it right" crowd:  why doesn't the NHL get it right and use reply to call too many men on the ice six thousand times a season?)  

2-3 minutes?  If you can't tell within 10 seconds it wasn't an egregiously incorrect call.  

agreed KD

one of the most stupid ***** play in NFL football is Aaron Rogers ***** play rushing the hike to get too many defenders on field as subs run to sideline and do not get off in time.  Resulting in Aaron getting a free play. Bush league play. This in turn has caused others to try the same thing to negate Aaron's ***** play advantage.

That should be handled like players changing in hockey. If the guys leaving are not impeding the play and are running off at full speed and don't quite make it before the snap WHO GIVES A RATS ASS. Play on.

Edited by cba fan

14 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Image result for new orleans bad call gif

So much wrong here. Hitting a defenseless player, Contact to the Head, Unsportsmanlike Conduct and -oh yeah, DPI. 

I can see where maybe the official couldn’t determine if the exact timing of the ball arriving was PI, but the defender not looking back? Blowing up a defenseless player? Intentional Head to Head contact? If that was Brady as a receiver on a trick play, Superdome maintenance guys would STILL be picking up yellow hankies.

16 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

This will never, ever happen. With that said, I agree 100%. Part of the reason I enjoy High School Football so much is that it’s still pure football. No interruptions from a million different replays. My somewhat realistic solution to the replay problem is to give each coach 2 challenges, everything is challengeable. There is no booth review within 2 minutes, every challenge must initiate from a coach. You don’t get another challenge for getting one right. Replay reviews have a 2 minute “shot clock” and must be viewed in real time. If 2 minutes of viewing expires the call on the field automatically stands. 

Part of the reason for having Instant Replay is to remove any chance of a Ref making a *BIASED* call towards one team.  If we remove IR, then the *favorite* teams will always get the good calls...May be the NFL will like it!    Then they will have the refs like "give it to them" !

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

Part of the reason for having Instant Replay is to remove any chance of a Ref making a *BIASED* call towards one team.  If we remove IR, then the *favorite* teams will always get the good calls...May be the NFL will like it!    Then they will have the refs like "give it to them" !

You don’t watch the NFL much, do you?