Pete Carroll: NFL should decrease use of instant replay

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm no purist, by any means.  I think if technology can make the game better, then it should be taken advantage of.  I would really like to see replay used to catch the egregious penalties missed by officials; especially game-changers.  If they're egregious, then they should be able to be seen at full speed; very quickly, at that.

I just think they need to go back to only reversing calls when there is clear and incontrovertible evidence. That needs to be reemphisized. If there is any gray area, they need to let the play stand. If it requires multiple angles pieced together, let it stand. If it requires super slow motion, let it stand.

The officials should have an innocent until proven guilty mentality, and look for reasons to let the play stand instead of reasons to reverse it.

Edited by MJS

Just now, MJS said:

I just think they need to go back to only reversing calls when there is clear and incontrovertible evidence. That needs to be reemphisized If there is any gray area, they need to let the play stand. If it requires multiple angles pieced together, let it stand. If it requires super slow motion, let it stand.

The officials should have an innocent until proven guilty mentality, and look for reasons to let the play stand instead of reasons to reverse it.

Bingo.  This summarizes how I feel very well.

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

You mean the Pats coach? He is probably yelling that Tre interfered with Gronk (which he clearly did). Did you think that was a Bills coach? Pretty sure the Pats logo is on his hat.

:doh:   I'm such an idiot.  

I need better gasses.  

????   Gronk is 5 yards away from Tre' .   

I ASSUMED  it was McDermot and never looked close enough 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

:doh:   I'm such an idiot.  

I need better gasses.  

????   Gronk is 5 yards away from Tre' .   

I ASSUMED 

At first glance it looks kind of like McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

Carroll said: "I miss the human element of trusting the officials to make the calls in the moment and then the rest of us having to live with what they called."

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/pete-carroll-uses-all-three-challenges-within-first-18-minutes-of-game.html

Appears here Pete doesn't trust nor lives with the refs calls......???

Edited by I am the egg man

Although it sounds very interesting. I don't know if I agree on full speed reviews.

If the foot was inbounds or not would be hard to tell on full speed. Or if player fumbled. Why limit that look?

Fulls speed may work for PI looks but not sure how this helps other calls.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

At first glance it looks kind of like McDermott.

and it was a glance ...  I am usually primarily focused on the scumbag Gronk 

52 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Incomplete! 

Are you blind?!!!

It's OPI !  Clearly the receiver ran into the defender!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year (with the exception of the Rams play) was much better.  I like the original intent that only obvious errors be overturned, if you have to look at the replay for 20 minutes..."The call of the field stands"

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

Still pissed Gronk didn't get laid out immediately after doing that BS. With that said that play has nothing to do with the replay debate.

It looks especially bad in that replay.  There is no doubt that his actions were classless and intentional. 

2 hours ago, cba fan said:

Although it sounds very interesting. I don't know if I agree on full speed reviews.

If the foot was inbounds or not would be hard to tell on full speed. Or if player fumbled. Why limit that look?

Fulls speed may work for PI looks but not sure how this helps other calls.

Replay, to me, is meant as a tool of correction for egregiously incorrect calls. If you need to look at ten slow speed angles for 7+ minutes, it isn’t egregiously incorrect, it is minute. At the very least, there absolutely needs to be a “replay clock” where they only get 2-3 minutes to look at it. Still looking when time expires? Call on the field stands. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Replay, to me, is meant as a tool of correction for egregiously incorrect calls. If you need to look at ten slow speed angles for 7+ minutes, it isn’t egregiously incorrect, it is minute. At the very least, there absolutely needs to be a “replay clock” where they only get 2-3 minutes to look at it. Still looking when time expires? Call on the field stands. 

What you don't like watching a review of a 5 yard pass to the sideline in the first quarter like Rex did? <sarcasm>

• Haha (+1) 1