Leonard Williams available for trade?

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yes I have been joking about it tongue in cheek, but Gase ruined Tannehill (not that he was great to begin with), who was there before he got to Miami. So I could see him and his new GM finding their own guy next year. 

I don't agree that Gase ruined Tannehill.  He had his best year and a half under Gase and even made the playoffs in his first year but Tannehill kept getting hurt.

36 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

OR - it could be said they felt L. Williams was only there for 1 more year anyway and got his replacement- rather than a top quality DE like Allen.

You could sign L. Williams to another contract; why do you need to replace him?  If you do sign him then you have him and Allen. 

In the end good for us cause I think if they take Allen then the Raiders take Q Williams and not Ferrell which probably would have not cause Oliver to drop to us.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

No.  He's a solid run-stuffer.  A valuable contributor but not the stud we Jets fans had hoped.  But maybe playing with Quinnen will free him up a bit.

I think he could be more than that. He should be used like Trevor Pryce or Calais Campbell or Michael Bennett. He's not a traditional inside player. He should be playing base end and 3tech on passing downs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

Good player playing in bad systems for his talent. He is not a traditional 43 DT. Only way I'd be for him is if he played End. Right or left.

Right. In their scheme he was asked to be Star L. Hardly a glamorous role. He did that. He's a good player who may flourish in a different system. If they go with the same alignment despite the change in DC (which Gase has said) it wouldn't surprise me if they used QW in the same way, in which case Jets fans will be tearing up the cobblestones again. Rinse and repeat. A lot probably depends on whether the Polite they got was the 2017 or 2018 version. 

6 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I think he could be more than that. He should be used like Trevor Pryce or Calais Campbell or Michael Bennett. He's not a traditional inside player. He should be playing base end and 3tech on passing downs.

Agree that he could be much better if used correctly.  I think the Jets will keep him this year and if he plays well, they will try to sign him.

If we're going to add to our interior d-line, I'd rather sign Ndamukong Suh for 1 year and find a draftee next year. I don't want to give up a draft pick for Leonard Williams. Also, Spotrac says he's due over $14 million, all guaranteed. No thanks.

Edited by Dopey

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

eagles took fletcher cox at 12 and they won a superbowl.  look at the jets draft history. they've ignored other positions with their high picks.  this is where bpa gets you in trouble.  richardson, williams, nathan shepard in the third last year they had no second rounder, and quinnen this year.   doesn't help they've missed a lot of other places as well.  

5 d-line in the 1st since 2011.  2 Safeties in the first since 2014 (2 in rounds 1 and 2 in 2017).  1 MLB in 2016. 1 corner. 

Its hard to fathom how little they have prioritized WR and Oline in the draft.  Their 3rd round pick for an olineman is the highest oline player drafted since 2010 (vlad ducasse).

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

eagles took fletcher cox at 12 and they won a superbowl.  look at the jets draft history. they've ignored other positions with their high picks.  this is where bpa gets you in trouble.  richardson, williams, nathan shepard in the third last year they had no second rounder, and quinnen this year.   doesn't help they've missed a lot of other places as well.  

Absolutely right, and I dont even knock the picks at the time.  LWill dropped so they couldnt pass him up, but if the player doesnt pan out your stuck in a hole 2x as deep

2 hours ago, Ennjay said:

Once upon a time you could say this about the Bills and CB's (Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, . . .), except the Bills didn't get rid of them -- they played out their rookie contracts and then left.

Once upon a time = this year? 

We traded Dareus for a conditional 6th and drafted a DT

(edit: misread your post.)

Edited by Chemical

53 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

You could sign L. Williams to another contract; why do you need to replace him?  If you do sign him then you have him and Allen. 

In the end good for us cause I think if they take Allen then the Raiders take Q Williams and not Ferrell which probably would have not cause Oliver to drop to us.

Because the 5th year option already has him being paid as a top 10 DLineman at north of 14 million per year.

L Williams is a good player, but he is not open of the top 5-10 players in the league and to extend him - they are going to need to give him a huge contract that they do not feel he is worth.

It is very similar to the Shaq Lawson situation in Buffalo, but the Bills chose not to give the 5th year option that would overpay - allowing them time to negotiate a contract more in line with play.  

The Jets gave the 5th year option and now have a guy that they feel is overpayed and it will be harder to negotiate a new deal at significantly less than he is making this year.  Therefore - they will let him go test FA and see what he is worth and they stand a big chance at losing him.

This is a continuous challenge for teams that draft high year over year because the option is a big pick-up for guys that are average - therefore they lose these guys rather than resigning them.  It happens at most positions when these teams struggle for extended periods.

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Because the 5th year option already has him being paid as a top 10 DLineman at north of 14 million per year.

L Williams is a good player, but he is not open of the top 5-10 players in the league and to extend him - they are going to need to give him a huge contract that they do not feel he is worth.

It is very similar to the Shaq Lawson situation in Buffalo, but the Bills chose not to give the 5th year option that would overpay - allowing them time to negotiate a contract more in line with play.  

The Jets gave the 5th year option and now have a guy that they feel is overpayed and it will be harder to negotiate a new deal at significantly less than he is making this year.  Therefore - they will let him go test FA and see what he is worth and they stand a big chance at losing him.

This is a continuous challenge for teams that draft high year over year because the option is a big pick-up for guys that are average - therefore they lose these guys rather than resigning them.  It happens at most positions when these teams struggle for extended periods.

Gotcha missed the 5th year option.  Agree hes not a top 5-10 player. 

Still looks silly though to give him his 5th year option when hes not a top 5-10 player.  Feel like they could have not given the 5th year option, drafted Allen, and then tried to negotiate a contract.  

Thanks for clarifying.

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Still looks silly though to give him his 5th year option when hes not a top 5-10 player.  Feel like they could have not given the 5th year option, drafted Allen, and then tried to negotiate a contract.  

Thanks for clarifying.

That’s kind of the crux of it. The guy who executed the entire off season, including that decision, is now gone. 

Just now, YattaOkasan said:

Thanks for clarifying.

I agree - similar to what we did with Lawson, but they had to make the decision on the 5th year option for L. Williams last year before 2018 played out.  He was still a potential rising start and they hoped he would continue to develop - with some stability.  

If they had not made the decision on a 5th year - there is a good chance he would be playing elsewhere this year already.  It is impossible to say what the Jets truly think of him because they signed off on the extension and obviously are now having 2nd and 3rd thoughts about that.

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You and those who think like you (yes I know there are many but you're all dead wrong) have it backwards. Coaches don't ruin QBs.  Bad to mediocre QBs ruin coaches.  Tannehill wasn't much before, during, or after Gase.  The term coach-killer is appropriate for a QB, the term QB killer is not appropriate since no coach has ever destroyed the career of a good QB.  

Here's an example of a coach who tried to kill a QB: When Atlanta drafted Brett Favre Jerry Glanville wanted nothing to do with him.  In spite of Glanville's attempt to ruin him, Favre got traded & is now in the HOF.  No coach can ruin a QB no matter how hard he tries. 

Are you trying to deny that the coaches ruined poor EJ? ;)

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

This would just be a friggin maraschino on that giant Sunday of sadness that is the beginning of the Gase era. Please let it happen. 

You've got that right.  Williams has been the guy that sees a lot of double teams.  He's a decent kid and is a steady performer.  I guess that makes him a target for Waste Gase.  If he becomes available, there will be no shortage of teams wanting to trade for him.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:11 AM, billsbackto81 said:

Never said that and wouldn't go that far but he's definitely had an underwhelming career thus far.

BPA

If so you need to trade back but I would say that Allen could have been considered the best player and definitely a position of need

On 5/20/2019 at 6:20 AM, Codyny13 said:

Surprisingly (as I’m in the nyc market, and a rival fan) I’ve never paid much attention or heard much about him since he was drafted. Has he lived up to the hype as being the best player in that draft class?

He has been solid but unspectacular thus far. 7 sacks in 2016 and a stout run defender but not the dominant interior presence he was billed to be out of college. Still I think he has been productive and he is turning 25 this year so there is plenty of room for him to grow and improve. I doubt the Jets move on from him unless they get a massive haul (2nd round pick or more) and considering he is on the last year of his contract I doubt the Jets get such an offer. 

On 5/20/2019 at 10:49 AM, YattaOkasan said:

Thanks for clarifying.

He might not be a top 5-10 player however he probably would have gotten paid like one had he reached free agency (remember free agency is always about over paying guys) so to retain him for one more season to see what you have in him isn't the worst idea given the more limited commitment a one year option offers.